SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, winter is here, and I need to decide if I am going to break down and take my XC 90 through a standard car wash. I have Opticoat pro plus, which has a "warranty" which is invalidated if an automatic car wash is used.....

My question is, for those of you who are using automatic washes, how is your finish holding up?

For those of you who have polished your cars, are you successful in removing swirl marks? How would you rate your cars finish?

I don't want to destroy my finish, but doubt my OCD will let me escape the winter without breaking down!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Well, winter is here, and I need to decide if I am going to break down and take my XC 90 through a standard car wash. I have Opticoat pro plus, which has a "warranty" which is invalidated if an automatic car wash is used.....

My question is, for those of you who are using automatic washes, how is your finish holding up?

For those of you who have polished your cars, are you successful in removing swirl marks? How would you rate your cars finish?

I don't want to destroy my finish, but doubt my OCD will let me escape the winter without breaking down!

I do not have any aftermarket protection and have been through car wash 4-5 times. Dealer washes it every time they touch it plus we've had a lot of rain and mud. No complaints - ultimately though, to me, it's just a car and it's meant to be washed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Out of curiosity, how can your warranty be voided? How could any company prove you took the car through an automated car wash?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I use the two bucket method and spent a small fortune on products from Optimum - No rinse wash & wax, detailer, detailer & gloass enhancer, power clean, protectant plus. Still need to get the tire gel. I actually bought the gallon size so it will last for a good couple of years. Anyway, I actually washed the car inside the garage with about 3 gallons of water. One bucket with the wash & wax and the second with clean water to rinse the sponge with. I was skeptical as I am old school and use power washer to clean my car - rinse, wash, rinse, dry, and several hours later you're done. This new method is quicker and I really like the Optimum products - I was skeptical but they just simply work and work really well. These are made by, I believe, the same company that makes Opticoat. I do not use the auto car wash because I am very "detailed" when cleaning my cars.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I will not run my cars through automatic car wash ever again. Had a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that I sold and bought my Volvo just last July. Ran the Jeep through a automatic car wash once and tracking rail scored my 20" wheels on drivers side which I did not see until several days later. Car wash says not done by them but could have not been any other cause to wheel damage. I only wash by hand now myself and most times with a few buckets of water with light car wash soap in 1st bucket then rinse with clean water buckets and when dry, apply coat of spray wax.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use the two bucket method and spent a small fortune on products from Optimum - No rinse wash & wax, detailer, detailer & gloass enhancer, power clean, protectant plus. Still need to get the tire gel. I actually bought the gallon size so it will last for a good couple of years. Anyway, I actually washed the car inside the garage with about 3 gallons of water. One bucket with the wash & wax and the second with clean water to rinse the sponge with. I was skeptical as I am old school and use power washer to clean my car - rinse, wash, rinse, dry, and several hours later you're done. This new method is quicker and I really like the Optimum products - I was skeptical but they just simply work and work really well. These are made by, I believe, the same company that makes Opticoat. I do not use the auto car wash because I am very "detailed" when cleaning my cars.
This. Really easy, even for a beginner. Bonus is you can keep the car (somewhat) clean during winter, as well.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the Optimum products as well. I generally use the same two bucket method, and it takes an hour to complete the car.

Today I went through the car wash, then followed up with the the optimum detail spray. Looks great.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It really depends on the car wash. I use one that only uses soft hanging cloth --like materials that swing back and forth. Been going there nearly every week since 2004. Never an issue. Volvos LandRovers , etc, etc. Stay clear of gas station spinning style washes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What about the brushless automatics that just use pressure spray? I've used this once with good results. I am getting the Opticoat Plus done next week so trying to avoid any swirl marks, including asking the dealer not to wash it before I took delivery.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What about the brushless automatics that just use pressure spray? I've used this once with good results. I am getting the Opticoat Plus done next week so trying to avoid any swirl marks, including asking the dealer not to wash it before I took delivery.
I have used a few brushless. Even with the Opticoat, they still leave a film. My experience has been to use them as a pre-wash to the Opticoat two bucket system.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Uhm... but it's damn freezing outside... brrrr....

This is my problem too especially during winter. Spring, summer & autumn, no worries - I'll wash my car using the 2 bucket method, micro fiber chamois, so on & so forth but winter, man, you'd need to pay $35+ to get a good hand car wash here.

But just like reeg2 said, ultimately it's just a car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi ... I know this is an old post but just noticed your in Cincinnati ... Can you share who did your Opticoat and if you were happy with them?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts