SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

So my engine bay looks like something from the depths of the black lagoon. At 89K and 8 years, I don't know that it's ever been cleaned (except by the dealer when I bought it 4.5 years ago).

I've always been hesitant to start spraying under the hood, so I figured if anyone had a good method, it would be nice to share.

I found this thread and am very tempted to try the scrubbing bubbles. I'm not too sure what to cover besides the alternator.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...447-how-clean-engine-engine-bay-easy-way.html

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I don't like how dirty my engine bay is but I don't feel too sure about some of the spraying method. If I have to choose I prefer a functioning car than a clean engine :p
All this to say I'm interested to see what others are doing and what tips I can learn to clean the engine bay safely . . .

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I clean my engine bay once a month with nothing more than a damp cloth and a tooth brush, and occasionally some wiped-on armor all for all that plastic! I've never had an issue with an overly dirty engine bay, but I'd be interested in seeing what works for the REALLY dirty engines.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
hmm scrubbing bubbles .. good idea, iv always used windex with a degreaser mixed in and some paper towels, but i clean mine almost everytime i do an oil change.

btw after looking at that M6 forum .. i didnt know they had soo many available aftermarket parts!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Damp rag and armorall wipes do it for me once a month

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I like to leave my engine bay dirty but not filthy. Why? A dirty engine, is an honest engine!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Someone suggested using the spray on tire foam for cleaning the engine bay. I tried it and it works like a charm. I am, however, going out to buy some scrubbing bubbles to try it as well. Just have to make sure the wife doesn't see me with the bottle. She may think I'm going to help out around the house.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am, however, going out to buy some scrubbing bubbles to try it as well. Just have to make sure the wife doesn't see me with the bottle. She may think I'm going to help out around the house.
Haha! I bought some last night, but since I am the cleaner of the house, the wife didn't care. She did ask, and when I said I was cleaning the engine with it, she rolled her eyes...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I took the plunge and washed my engine for the first time ever! I have yet to start it (letting it dry for a few hours), so hopefully all goes well!

Cost: $2.20 + half an hour of my time and a rag or two.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I threw a plastic bag over the alternator, covered my one exposed HID ballast, and stuffed one into the battery cover hole to keep water/scrubbing bubbles from getting in there.

The scrubbing bubbles worked so well on the engine that I just used it in my bath tub and sink! :D

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I like to leave my engine bay dirty but not filthy. Why? A dirty engine, is an honest engine!
Clean on the inside, dirty on the outside.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Scrubbing bubbles worked exactly as advertised. Had this car since new (2005) and the bay showed it - mostly dust/dirt with a little odd spots of residue. It is concerning to spray water on a motor, it just is. Gentle shower from a distance is the method used. Started right up without hesitation.

Easiest project to date, even with covering the few electrical parts. Barely had to wipe anything down. Looks so much better.

+1

1 - 18 of 18 Posts