SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Running up on warranty so took the car to dealer for some maintenance and to get rid of noises in the front end (did the control arm bolts a year or so ago). These seemed to be newer noises and just not at low speeds. When I picked the car up, the dealer had to order some parts- struts -and noted that I had after market anti sway bars that may be contributing to the problem.

Yes I have IPD sway bars front and rear, I had installed by them 3 years ago. My question is, can they really be causing a problem? I drive very easy, this forum is full of front end noise problems on the 90, there are numerous technical bulletins from the volvo on this issue. obviously with or without aftermarket swaybars this has been a problem. Not to mention that many folks on this forum actually had volvo dealers install the IPD bars for them.

Considering the originals were basically the same as the S80 and under sized, I would think if anything the IPD ones would help to limit stress on the other parts. No I am not a frontend person, so am very interested in comments.

Is the dealer just looking for an out? I certainly have not seen any issues posted here on the IPD bars causing problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
534 Posts
"Beefing up" an OEM component can lead to stress being increased in linked components. That's simple physics. When I installed IPD sways, I also installed their endlinks and upper spring seats. I've no idea if sways alone with non-sprited driving would have an appreciable effect on front end wear. I'd encourage you to call IPD and ask them. XC90's are so heavy that some front end items are considered a wear item - e.g. lower control arm bushings. If I were a betting man, I'd agree with you that the dealer may simply be trying to get out of having to do anything.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I would think a stiffer roll bar would reduce the load on either strut when going
through a turn since it levels the car and that keeps the forces more evenly
distributed across the two front struts. But, it does increase the spring rates for a
single wheel hitting a bump (on one side) which could give a "harsher" ride when
one side hits a bump. So if you drive a lot of uneven roads that might be an issue (like dirt
roads); otherwise, I don't think it would be a contributor to earlier part failure when driven
normally on paved roads.

Also, when both wheels hit the same bump the roll bar just pivots and it does not affect anything.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I measured the RDesign Sways a while back and from what I remember they were only 1mm smaller than IPD's. I'm sure they would make the claim that the aftermarket sways are causing a problem and be all too happy to sell you the Volvo RD ones. They need supporting evidence for these wild claims.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks. I did install the IPD end links at the same time as the sway bars. Failed to mention that. But not the spring seats. Did have the control arm bolts changed out at dealer under warranty for noise problems at about 35-40k, under tech notice 61 10 I believe. Although they quoted that particular one, and it listed changing the bushings along with the bolts, the dealer did not do that. Just the bolts. And no dirt/gravel roads to speak of. All paved and non spirited driving other than enjoying the V8 passing and on onramps!

Appreciate the feedback. Will be talking to IPD in the morning.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would think that the dealer noting aftermarket sway bars is standard practice and a CYA move. I believe it's against the law to void a factory warranty just because of "aftermarket" parts as long as you don't do anything "inside" the engine. Make them prove the upgraded sway bars caused the problem.

I installed my sways about two years ago and have a bit of noise on slow speed dips. Pretty sure it's the sways swiveling in the mounts. Last year one of my rear mounting brackets broke and they sent me new ones that were heavy duty and included some lube. I don't remember the original kit having lube in it. Need to check for lube in the front mounts.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I would think that the dealer noting aftermarket sway bars is standard practice and a CYA move. I believe it's against the law to void a factory warranty just because of "aftermarket" parts as long as you don't do anything "inside" the engine. Make them prove the upgraded sway bars caused the problem.

I installed my sways about two years ago and have a bit of noise on slow speed dips. Pretty sure it's the sways swiveling in the mounts. Last year one of my rear mounting brackets broke and they sent me new ones that were heavy duty and included some lube. I don't remember the original kit having lube in it. Need to check for lube in the front mounts.
IPD has the lube in a nice syringe now (it's very messy and this looks like it
is a lot easier to use):

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/7399/100788-aqualube-sway-bar-grease

1 - 8 of 8 Posts