SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi.
I am wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with city safe collision avoidance/alert engaging prematurely? My wife is saying on 3 separate occasions it has slammed on the brakes with at least 30 to 40 feet of distance between her and the car in front of her. The last time it was so violent that her laptop that was in passenger seat flew into lower part of dash. Settings for system were set to "normal" and I have since switched to "later" as a test.

I have a Foxwell NT512 scanner and the volvo package for it and scanned for codes. Under the Vision module I had 1 code, a U014000 which is "lost communication with CEM, general fault information." Parking module shows a U2E0568, "degraded parking sensor, algorithm based faults, event information. " Not sure if those sensors play a part in any of the collision avoidance system. I wouldn't think they would though.

I know from a call to the place that services the vehicle for the previous owner that the car has the 2.0 updates and was serviced by Volvo dealerships since its purchase. I've only had it maybe 2 months so I have not had it in.

Anyone ever had this sort of issue? Those were the only codes I saw that seemed relevant. It had an ABS and 3 ECU codes as well but the ABS ones I'll start another thread on. No warning lights from any of them. Car runs and drives great.

If anyone is aware of anything that might cause this I'd love to hear their ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Robert

2016 XC90 T6 Momentum

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I have not had any such issue with my MY16 XC90 FWIW. Changing to “Later” is probably a good move - at least until you can get it into the dealer. Since it is safety related, you could try to get the Service 2.0 applied at no cost or covered by extended warranty unless you are coming up on a scheduled service. I am not sure if it will be $0 but you could try as it has been repetitive.

BTW, what was the estimated closure rate or time to impact? Distance is not the only factor but I am sure you already knew that.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I had issues once with a 2016 XC90 D5 in Italy, driving on a steep road with cars parked on the side. But I think the incline had something to do with it, because I have driven all over Italy, and I found it to behave well even on small, windy roads dotted with abusive parking... it was only this one particular trip.

Never had any problems with my 2017 XC90 T8. I had it set to "later" as well. And once it saved my butt.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I also had to set it to "late", in "normal" it saw collisions where there were none :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not had any such issue with my MY16 XC90 FWIW. Changing to “Later” is probably a good move - at least until you can get it into the dealer. Since it is safety related, you could try to get the Service 2.0 applied at no cost or covered by extended warranty unless you are coming up on a scheduled service. I am not sure if it will be $0 but you could try as it has been repetitive.

BTW, what was the estimated closure rate or time to impact? Distance is not the only factor but I am sure you already knew that.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8
According to my wife it was in the ballpark of 50 to 60 feet judging by the "one wall to the end of the house" guestimating she did. She says it has happened 3 times in the 2 months or so we have had it. Since switching to "later " mode I have not heard any complaints but that was just 2 days ago.

Scanner did not show any codes th as t jumped out at me but a scan with Vida versus Foxwell might show something more. If it happens again I'll take it in or get a battery maintainer to keep the charge steady while using a 3 day to Vida. I absolutely hate taking my car in for work. I always DIY it but there is nothing out there for these cars as far as service manuals. Pay to play Vida subscription seems to be it.

I'll keep this updated.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Robert

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts