SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After I got the right taillight replaced, I noticed the right rear Q-glass chrome molding was not seated properly. The chrome piece's lower edge does not fit firmly against the weatherstrip, while the top edge is aligned perfectly. There are no signs of physical damage. I am attaching a couple of photos to illustrate the issue.

I contacted the local dealer to see if they help me take care of the issue. The response I got was that Volvo does not cover under warranty chrome trim pieces if the car is over 12 months/12K miles from the original date of service. My car is 13.5 months old, but only 5300 miles. I reached out to Volvo USA, and after back-and-forth emails, Volvo promised "Possible assistance", meaning upper management will review my case to see if they can assist me. For that, I still need to make an appointment with a dealer. The local dealer tells me that they want to remove the molding piece for "inspection," which I am against since they would most likely damage the "legs" that hold the molding in place, and the piece would have to be replaced for sure.

Now, I looked up the part number, and if I am not mistaken, it is - 31424737 Quarter Panel Reveal Molding (Right). The price is~ $150. I am concerned about the installation process, especially after watching this YouTube video.
I was wondering if anyone had replaced/installed moldings and how hard was it?

On a personal note, I am not happy with Volvo's customer care at all. For a $60K car, this penny-pinching from the manufacturer is unacceptable. I had a Honda Accord, and after 2.5 years got a door handle replaced under warranty without any questions, when chrome coating bubbled-up in one spot. I also had a Mazda, which got a cracked plastic dash piece replaced. The car was out of warranty by time, not by mileage, but Mazda covered the cost of replacement, which was over $800.

Anyways. I would certainly appreciate any advice or, perhaps, instructions on how to replace the molding piece.

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ugh, this reminds me I need to follow up with my dealer about my driver side chrome strip. It was crooked when I took delivery of the car and they said it was too obscure to fix. I'll call Volvo corporate and get the issue filed against my VIN.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sorry this is happening OP. Have you tried talking to the service manager at your dealer? If he/she is nice, it can save you a ton of hassle. In my experience, dealing with Volvo customer care is a huge pain. Unfortunately, their customer service is extremely poor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry this is happening OP. Have you tried talking to the service manager at your dealer? If he/she is nice, it can save you a ton of hassle. In my experience, dealing with Volvo customer care is a huge pain. Unfortunately, their customer service is extremely poor.
I have talked to the service advisor and service manager. The manager told me that he would have to take off the trim piece for inspection. He implied I would have to pay for that as well. Basically, it was the same situation as with the taillight 3 weeks ago. I had to agree to cover $210 labor costs of "inspection" had Volvo refuse to cover the replacement under the warranty coverage. I'm gonna try a different dealership in the next couple of weeks and see if this issue can be resolved.

I agree, for a premium brand, Volvo customer care is terrible.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have talked to the service advisor and service manager. The manager told me that he would have to take off the trim piece for inspection. He implied I would have to pay for that as well. Basically, it was the same situation as with the taillight 3 weeks ago. I had to agree to cover $210 labor costs of "inspection" had Volvo refuse to cover the replacement under the warranty coverage. I'm gonna try a different dealership in the next couple of weeks and see if this issue can be resolved.

I know I don't need to tell you this but not sure what there is to inspect. Its obvious from pictures and external examination that the trim piece is misaligned/loose. The dealer is just trying to milk you and/or Volvo. Point out how asinine it is and I would make it clear that they are losing a maintenance customer for life. Its this sort of stuff that rubs me the wrong way and gives dealers/Volvo a bad name.

·
Registered
131 Posts

I could go on for days about how poor their customer service is. Long story short they began making up things like “the contact person for your case is out today” and basically stalled my case. Sounds like you have a reasonable plan - try another dealer. Hope it gets resolved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts