SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Originally I had planned on finding a V8 Sport model, but ended up with a V8 Executive. While I'm happy with the softer suspension for my long commutes, I'm not a huge fan of the chrome trim that's found all over the vehicle. I can live with the side chrome window C-pillar and "XC90" badge, and the horizontal trim under the rear window (the lower taillight trim disappeared with the LED light install), but the front of the vehicle looks overly busy to me. It looks better on the fully painted XC90s, but I'm not about to change out my lower black plastic for paint. Am I overthinking this and the chrome portions simply can be removed, or are they entire pieces and totally different Volvo parts?

Example photo of front chrome trim:

I could go for the all black inlet grilles, but at the very least I would like to change out the center inlet so it only has the chrome surround on the perimeter and not the center horizontal portion shown here:

Anyone interested in swapping their set with mine? If this needs to be posted in the Wanted Ads, it can be moved, but since it contains questions about the parts I thought I would post it here.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm up for it! Mine is a Sport model, so it has the black egg crate grilles. I'll PM you. My center has the chrome trim, and the outers are all black.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
That's all you can do. The center inlet is actually part of the bumper. I had to take off the whole bumper to figure that out. It will not come out. Only the chrome piece in the middle can be removed. The chrome on the outside is glued to the bumper. As if 6 clips weren't enough.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did you end up getting your V8 Executive? I'm looking for one too. Must have off black interior ... Know of any?
It took me a while to find it. Most dealerships shy away from vehicles that are past CPO optioning and are over 5 years old so V8s in general are getting harder to find (which you already know). Martens Volvo of Bethesda (which changed hands twice already from Euromotorcars to now Ourisman's) used to have a few XC90s in inventory but I haven't even seen them listed at all recently let alone a V8, due in part by the new model being pushed most likely. You could even try CarMax, save a XC90 search notification alert, and have it shipped locally if one is found. V8s pop up on there every so often (including clean Executives), but disappear within a few days.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
the center inlet is just sticked, you can remove it.
The OEM Executive trim must only be attached with clips, and the aftermarket Volvo kit with adhesive maybe? I gently pried at each of the clips one by one and it came off rather easily, no adhesive. Just FYI for anyone else undertaking the removal of the trim from an Executive model. If you're removing it, you just push hard enough on each clip until you hear each one "snap" out of place.

Clips (6) inside and under the back of the plastic center piece:

Center trim removed showing the visible clips at the bottom that "wrap" around the center OEM black plastic:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts