SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who couldn't have it all, which did you choose? A stripped T6 or loaded 3.2?

My choice was:
Ice White T6, Xenons, Trailer Hitch

TREX

·
Registered
597 Posts
For those who couldn't have it all, which did you choose? A stripped T6 or loaded 3.2?

My choice was:
Ice White T6, Xenons, Trailer Hitch

TREX
I based my choice on whether AWD was a must have. It wasn't for NorCal since it has FWD and DTSC so I got the loaded 3.2. No regrets! :)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If you price a 3.2 AWD that is loaded vs. a stripped T6, the price difference is almost nil. The T6 is a no brainer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
We went with the following:

Seashell Metallic, T6 Premium Plus, Climate, Tech, BLIS, front and rear cameras.

Initially we thought of getting T6 with parking sensors, but the cost Premium Plus is negligible compared to cost of port/dealer installed parking sensors.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you price a 3.2 AWD that is loaded vs. a stripped T6, the price difference is almost nil. The T6 is a no brainer.
Says the gentleman with T6 AND Premier+, Climate and Nav...AND Polestar ! :)

When all the non-R T6 units disappeared during the July Sales Event, I was actually considering a 3.2 Platinum(still about 5% interested) to replace our '10 T6(practically loaded). Of course, I was also 'wanting' the loaded Savile R-series on the showroom floor. ;) While I think it would be 'difficult' to go back to a n/a engine producing lower horsepower, we don't use the AWD enough to consider it necessary AND we considered our FWD RX330 as nicely powered 'back then'. Like somebody said, "Unless you're towing or climbing, anything over 200hp is just showin' off!". Yeah, I like being able to show off...but at what price?

So, it's a 10 grand difference in price between the 3.2 Platinum and the R we're 'considering'. After the crazy lease numbers I got yesterday(check the other thread), I'm getting OUT of the mood real fast!

A lot depends on the features you desire. DW wants all the electronic goodies, so a base 'anything' is off the table for us. The extra power is nice, but the creature comforts get used on every trip. That's a tough call. Do you NEED AWD? Do you NEED the extra torque? Will the extra performance make up for the relative lack of interior features?

Colorado, trailer hitch...I can understand the T6.(Cooper S and a Kaw, also) At least you saved a few hundred by picking Ice White.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know if I would ever want to spend the extra money for Nav on any car.. not when Google has a superior product that I have in my pocket at all times... (Android w/ Google Maps + Navigation)...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I don't know if I would ever want to spend the extra money for Nav on any car.. not when Google has a superior product that I have in my pocket at all times... (Android w/ Google Maps + Navigation)...
Of course, it's almost always bundled with goodies you DO want...gotcha! ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
The packages now are different than what was offered when we purchased ours, but the only options on mine that I really use and love are the PCC and parking sensors. The climate package I hardly use as I never use my heated seats in Texas but occasionally did when I lived in Delaware. I use my iPhone more for navigation purposes because the built in system is slow to respond, lacks touch screen controls, and lacks detailed map/street names. The premium sound is nice I guess but I mainly listen to podcasts and talk radio so I don't think I get much benefit. in regards to the technology package, does one really need those things? The BLIS is nice I guess but I always look over my shoulder anyway. I will say the one thing on my car that gives me the biggest grin is when I give it some throttle on an on ramp and then I am glad I got the T6. I would get that same feeling on a base T6 also. Honestly the reason we added some of our packages was because of the amazing military sales program deal that was running at the time that brought the cost down. Doing it all over I would probably configure my T6 a little differently and knock a few things off if I wasn't getting a good deal again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 15,000 miles on a 2011 loaded 3.2. Drove it through the alps and regularly into the Sierra and to Tahoe. I have never once felt I needed more power and I like to pass people going slower than me, even going up hill. I have really gotten addicted to the adaptive cruise control, pcc, back-up camera and rain sensing wipers. Given all the texting and impaired drivers I am very happy to have the city safety feature and BLIS is just an extra plus. I've never had built in nav before. I always thought it was way too expensive but the dealer threw it in and really like it. It is a bit slow but is pretty bullet proof and very easy to use while driving. My wife uses the phone nav in her car and it just isn't as easy to adjust destinations while driving. We had a Garmin in my previous car which was very good but I didn't like it as much as Sensus 3. As a plus I get great gas mileage for a safe, AWD vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice thread. Indeed true, once u had a taste of T6, NA will never be good enough.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Says the gentleman with T6 AND Premier+, Climate and Nav...AND Polestar ! :)

Colorado, trailer hitch...I can understand the T6.(Cooper S and a Kaw, also) At least you saved a few hundred by picking Ice White.
Fortunately I like white. Cooper is White Silver, VW is White Gold, Volvo is Ice White. I have a trend going there. The Kawasaki wasn't offered in white. I do have a couple of regrets. Remote keyless entry would have been nice. There is a pretty good blindspot on the passenger side, but now I know its there.....so not really an issue anymore. If the powerlift gate had the feature the new ford escape has where you wave your foot under the bumper and it opens for you, that might have been worth it. If you have to set your crap down and fish your key out of your pocket you might as well just open it.

It might be different if I were closer to sea level. I live at 6500', and lots of places around here only go up from there. Altitude isn't kind to normally aspirated cars. We test drove the 3.2, and it was perfectly adequate. At near 40K, adequate is inadequate.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nice thread. Indeed true, once u had a taste of T6, NA will never be good enough.
Fortunately I like white. Cooper is White Silver, VW is White Gold, Volvo is Ice White. I have a trend going there. The Kawasaki wasn't offered in white. I do have a couple of regrets. Remote keyless entry would have been nice. There is a pretty good blindspot on the passenger side, but now I know its there.....so not really an issue anymore. If the powerlift gate had the feature the new ford escape has where you wave your foot under the bumper and it opens for you, that might have been worth it. If you have to set your crap down and fish your key out of your pocket you might as well just open it.

It might be different if I were closer to sea level. I live at 6500', and lots of places around here only go up from there. Altitude isn't kind to normally aspirated cars. We test drove the 3.2, and it was perfectly adequate. At near 40K, adequate is inadequate.
Once again, you guys are killin' me! What I'd really go for is a non-R T6, Ice White, Platinum...but, of course, those aren't around. IF the 3.2 had the same performance as our RX330, I think we'd be fine. However, to paraphrase a wise person from Colorado, "At $43K, fine ain't fine" . DANG!

avery, we'd be looking at FWD for 'our' 3.2, but it is really all we 'need' here in central Texas. I'm sure we would 'wish' for AWD on the very rare trips to our NC mountain house. In theory, the 3.2 FWD should be even more 'frugal' over time, but would that make up for the few times I 'needed' AWD and the T6? :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
The response was SINCE he didn't NEED AWD, he chose a loaded FWD 3.2 without regret. Believe it or not, there are people who don't WANT a T6 or NEED the AWD (or feel the need for a ramped up engine...gasp! oh the sacrilege!!) On a different note, a "stripped" T6 still has a bunch of features.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A droid has 2 big faults for me as a Nav device.

No lane assist and Droid phone batteries are notorious for running dry in a quick manner. My wife got 6 hrs out of hers with an extended battery.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Believe it or not, there are people who don't WANT a T6(or feel the need for a ramped up engine...gasp! oh the sacrilege!!)
Blasphemy!

Seriously though, If I lived in the south the argument for the 3.2 has a lot of merit since you can't get the T6 without AWD. Heat isn't a friend of turbo charging either.

But, imagine your 3.2 with 15-20% less power than it has. That is what it is like driving in Denver, and 20-25% less power when you head West through the mountains. You don't realize your vehicle has asthma until you take a road trip down to sea level.

For me, I don't need a stereo that makes my ears bleed, a motor to open my hatch, a computer to tell me where I am going, a light to tell me not to change lanes, a camera to help me back into a spot.
If I had all that, I wouldn't throw it away, but would never choose any of that over upgrading one of the key components of your car. In an ideal world, I wouldn't have to choose.
TREX

·
Registered
16 Posts
A droid has 2 big faults for me as a Nav device.

No lane assist and Droid phone batteries are notorious for running dry in a quick manner. My wife got 6 hrs out of hers with an extended battery.
No lane assist... YET .. but its Google, so never know what to expect next.

For the battery issues, Luckily your XC60 has a USB outlet and/or a USB adapter for power port can be purchased on Amazon for $5 or less...

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
But, imagine your 3.2 with 15-20% less power than it has. That is what it is like driving in Denver, and 20-25% less power when you head West through the mountains. You don't realize your vehicle has asthma until you take a road trip down to sea level.
I understand completely. I went from a V70 NA to a V70 2.5T because I make a few trips to the mountains every year. The NA worked FINE in sea level Southeastern VA, but very asthmatic when over 3500-4,000 feet elevation.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The response was SINCE he didn't NEED AWD, he chose a loaded FWD 3.2 without regret. Believe it or not, there are people who don't WANT a T6 or NEED the AWD (or feel the need for a ramped up engine...gasp! oh the sacrilege!!) On a different note, a "stripped" T6 still has a bunch of features.
No problem! It was just a personal opinion so no reason for anyone to get...excited.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hmmm...must have features for me would be:

T6 Power (R or non-R)
Leather
Passion Red (sorry, R only color) - we are always getting compliments on the car and color
Keyless Entry (turns out, I love this)
Park Assist (well executed in this car)

Haven't owned the car in a winter yet, but predict we'll appreciate the heated seats (even in Texas). Nav is OK and usable, but not compelling. Upgraded stereo is also a take it or leave it kind of thing. Rear View camera is sharp, but I find the park assist even more valuable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No problem! It was just a personal opinion so no reason for anyone to get...excited.
No excitement...just mild annoyance that the true gist of the message was missed and by an administrator. First rule: Listen (or in this case read) and respond appropriately. People on here are very passionate about their vehicles, whether 3.2, T6, or R design. We all want to feel validated by our choices. Everyone has different needs AND budgets.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts