SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new choke cable. B18 dual SU carbs. The choke does not want to stay out when the engine is cold. As soon as it starts up the pull lever walks back in. Any suggestions on how to stop this appreciated.

·
Registered
581 Posts
ts;

Compliments on everything being lubed so that this becomes an issue...! ...the Choke return springs on carbs are really the only thing working against the driver control to return mechanism toward being disengaged, and usually the carbs and cables have enough friction and resistance to prevent movement...I guess not with new cables (new Sheaths too with low friction plastic liners?)...or did you simply install new inners with lube?...

Since Choke is typically only be engaged for very short time after startup, I'd simply hold it pulled for those 20 or so seconds...otherwise put a little spacer (like a quarter) on top of the Control (between T-knob and Dashbushing) to hold it there for that time...

Cheers

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron: On my car the throttle needs to be out until it warms up to around 160F. How do I address the problem without your work around? It is clever but I do not want to go down that path.

Thanks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
ts;

(I presume you mean Choke instead of Throttle in your post, so my answer will be based on that.)

...your carbs are likely set leaner and so need to be choked longer and, like you say, until engine significantly warms up...in that case, I'd still recommend a spacer placed on top of square post of the control, to prevent it from being pulled back in by those springs (simplest as it means no changes!)...alternate solutions would be to somehow reduce the return force from the springs at the carb (but it's just not a good idea to re-engineer carbs to accommodate new cables)...or maybe to increase the internal friction of the cable (maybe a belleville washer under the pivot under th dash, to give the system some friction)...

While on the subject, I also remember installing a new Choke cable on my 1800 (where it is single from Control to bracket to engine compartment, where it pivots, then applies tension to two cables running off to individual carbs). The cable was likely from some British car...but it had a provision for locking the position in place after it was pulled, by turning the T handle control knob 90 Deg CW...without this locking action, springs at the carbs again would return Choke to the unactivated position...

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts