SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed last night that I have 3 small chips / flakes on my driver side rear wheel. Purchased the car (2004 SR GT) end of December and the wheels were immaculate...so needless to say I'm a little bummed out.

The odd thing is the chips are towards the middle of the wheel with two on one of the spoke edges...no damage on the lip or evidence of hitting anything. I did some searching and found a few threads on flaking, but more with respect to concerns of it happening if you are painting over powder coated wheels.

So...has anyone else had these small chips appear and if so, do they tend to spread? They aren't really visible unless you are looking, but now that I know they are there...well, I know they are there...

I was considering powder coating my wheels this summer so maybe now I have the justification I needed to pull the trigger...

On a side note...my wife's minivan is in the shop so she has my R and they gave me a white Chrysler Sebring convertible to drive...holy mother of pathetic automobiles...it's like driving a two ton white rhino with worse acceleration and a less engaging experience...I need my R back!!!

BW

· Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: Chips / Flaking on 17" Pegs (Bdubs)

If you just bought an 04 there is a good chance the wheels were refinished and possibly the paint is already starting to chip?

· Registered
3,579 Posts
Re: Chips / Flaking on 17" Pegs (I Roll)

Yea most likely the wheel was refinished. One of mine was refinished and it is flaking really bad now. I can pretty much peel it off with my fingernails. It will get worse. Powdercoating is the way to go for longevity.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.