SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I'd get my '05 T5 chipped. Very long story short, the ECU was damaged upon opening and now the new ECU will not accept the standard software load. Volvo is involved and has all but given up. Such is life. My life, anyway.

The important thing to note is that the flash EPROM in our cars is, as stated in the EVOLVE pdf (link below), and which I didn't really get until too late, "a hybrid and cannot be modified in the conventional chip tuning method." This means it cannot be desoldered, updated, then resoldered. Trust me on this.

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/...0.pdf

So I'm driving around in a rented Dodge Stratus and wondering if I'll ever feel the rush of my low pressure turbo again. Granted, this is a full 150 hp of American muscle http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif , but I'd trade the iPod connectivity of the Stratus for the refinement of the S40 any day.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Chipping--Don't let this happen to you! (daleband)

Sounds to me like you might have fried the original EPROM. Buy another one from Volvo and replace it. You might even be able to find one for cheaper if it's a standard off the shelf part.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: Chipping--Don't let this happen to you! (Seitch)

I don't know why Evolve just can't fix it, part of the huge $$$$ we pay for chipping goes to cover the cost of screw ups it is part of the cost of doing business.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: Chipping--Don't let this happen to you! (daleband)

"The important thing to note is that the flash EPROM in our cars is, as stated in the EVOLVE pdf (link below), and which I didn't really get until too late, "a hybrid and cannot be modified in the conventional chip tuning method." This means it cannot be desoldered, updated, then resoldered."

I was speaking to the statement above. It sounds like the PPC method might be safer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Re: Chipping--Don't let this happen to you! (jclaib)

Quote, originally posted by jclaib »
"a hybrid and cannot be modified in the conventional chip tuning method." This means it cannot be desoldered, updated, then resoldered.".

Well, sorta, you have to understand there's some plain old sales talk in the rhetoric coming out of tuners which I'm falimilar with the workings of.
Mind you, I'm not trying to prove you wrong. Actually, my first thought was what exactly did original poster mean by "When "Opening" the ECU" it was damaged???
I wonder A. If the chip tuner had a clue? And if he didn't damage when "opening" it, did he mess it up when he attempted to reprogram it? Which he apparently had no idea of what he was doing.
This of course may not be the case at all b/c the original poster was rather cryptic about the whole affair. (Why???) Not that I don't respect that.

I also wonder if the original poster had signed a waiver noting the tuner was not responsible for any damages incurred, which on one hand I wouldn't blame a tuner one bit for having someone sign. But otoh, a person has got to be crazy to agree to this w/o certain stipulations.. such as, ECU will be replaced and any rental costs etc, will not be covered.
(Sort of a mutual risk venture)

Nuts and bolts of it...
There are various methods out there to be sure, for one a simple clamp style is locked on to the EPROM and is then reflashed. This does not involve the "relatively" dangerous task of desoldering the EPROM from the board.

Quote »
I was speaking to the statement above. It sounds like the PPC method might be safer.

Yeah sure, and somewhat I agree with you of course but that's not to say there aren't inherent dangers with the PPC style of programming. What if a disconnection accidentially occurs during programming, a power "brown out" of some sort. (A weak battery turns out to be a really costly problem) or perhaps some fella just ignores the directions. Do guys follow directions very well? Umm, don't answer that if it'll incrimante you.

Simply put, anytime you go about reading, erasing and reprogramming an eprom, regardess of method, you take a risk. I've heard several horoor stories with the PPC style programming and complete break downs of ECU's and dealers voiding warranty. Just a fact. I want people who may read this to know and understand there is no Trojan man tuner. Any chipping is like having unprotected sex, sure you can find a partner with a good reputation, choose not to engage in more radical forms of intercourse, but sex is sex, and if you want to get wet and wild, you got to risk. Be it catching a case of pita crabs or worst case, the tragedy of AIDS.

(I'm sure that will offend someone.
It's just an opinion board, ok.
)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (awd)

Quote, originally posted by awd »
So they are not giving you a new ecm? I dont get it.

I did indeed get a new ECM, but it will not accept a software load.

I did not use either of the major tuners discussed here and wish to remain cryptic because I really feel this tuner's rep is doing his best to make good on our deal. He has already paid the repair shop, paid for the rental car, and is now allowing me to use one of his personal cars!

Speaking of that repair shop, they also have an S60R with a similar problem in that both vehicles are unable to be communicated with by Volvo's computer. Both the shop and Volvo in NJ have changed out all their cables and communications devices, but to no avail.

Maybe I'll get the S60R back by mistake...

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: (daleband)

"Any chipping is like having unprotected sex, sure you can find a partner with a good reputation, choose not to engage in more radical forms of intercourse, but sex is sex, and if you want to get wet and wild, you got to risk. Be it catching a case of pita crabs or worst case, the tragedy of AIDS."

just to be safe I'm going to wear a condom when installing my bsr stage 3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.