SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I chipped part of a tooth on the fiber camshaft timing gear on my B20 while trying to remove it. Do I need to replace it now? They seem to be sold in sets, so replacing it would mean buying two timing gears and a gear puller to do the replacement. I'm hoping the damage isn't too severe.

Photo at link:
https://flic.kr/p/CkRvfV

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I would not try to reuse that gear. In addition to the chip itself, I would guess you tried to lever it off, which may have weakened it. Besides, it looks a bit worn.

Yes, you need a pair of gears. But if you're not reusing the old ones, you can get by without ordinary pullers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's my understanding that the fiber gears are a "1 time use" gear and once removed or played with should be replaced new and replaced as a pair. I got a pair of aluminum gears which do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
With careful removal, reuse of the fiber timing gears is OK if they are not worn. However, with any obvious surface damage I would replace. High quality steel timing gear sets made by Cloyes are / were available for the B20 from Rock Auto at a low enough price that I would not risk replacing with a questionable gear. A little nosier than the fiber gear; but, you likely won't have to worry about replacement in your lifetime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts