SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always very careful and take turns wide to avoid scraping the wheels. But yesterday, after sitting in the car talking to someone else for a while, I forgot the curb was right next to me and I clipped it :mad: :facepalm: At least it was slow... <5mph

The wheel is not physically damaged, the rim is scraped, but there was already some rash when I got them. No biggie really. But part of the sidewall of the tire chipped off. The tire shop will see it as a problem just to sell more tires, so should I be concerned about this?

A small crack but it doesn't go deep

Worst case, I'll buy two new tires and keep the old good one as a spare. But I'd rather drive on these for a little longer and switch back to Pirellis or Michelins.

·
Super Moderator
15,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is just that flair of rubber that got damaged, so hopefully you're right! I did get up to highway speeds coming home, and all seemed fine when I checked the tire.

I looked up other sidewall damage threads (on other forums) and most of those were down to the fabric. Which like you said, isn't the case in my situation. The pictures actually make it look worse.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Don't be concerned at all. :cool:

Like aldebaran said, the tire has an extra bit of rubber around the lip to protect the wheels. That chunk of rubber missing served its purpose valiantly.... your wheel would probably have more damage without that feature on the tire.

Your'e good!!

--- I mean, uh, replace all four. Send me the old ones... I'll dispose of 'em. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
seems ok to me.... mine was worst that the pic. as long as you dont see thread. keep an eye after a while of driving to see if it creates a bump or hump, you knwo what i mean. i have mine scrapped and after a year i see hump/bump then i changed them immediately.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
dont feel bad, i had to limp my car a -2 mph to a tire shop at 530am this morning. tire had to be replaced, but i got them through a big name tire dealer and they credited me about 60% as the tires were only about 6 months old.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Where did you get your tires? Everywhere I've bought recently(Sears and Sams Club) always sell a warranty for sidewall, was $15 from each of em, think it would cover something like that but I've never had to question it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I c, sure the price was good; that chip is fine though. I have a split deeper than that on a tire for my cargo van and that tire is still holding air today.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned with that!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts