SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All…

So, I bought one of Spanky’s 16/18T conversions & chipped a blade on the turbine side of the turbo, during install :mad:.
Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Alloy wheel Tread

Given that this is on the hot side of the turbo, how fast this wheel spins & the location of the damage, I am concerned that it could create a “hot spot” or imbalance condition that could severely damage the unit. Since the unit is not on the vehicle, should I replace the turbine wheel? Or is this damage minimal enough, to where I would have no problem running it?
Thanks, in advance!

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,459 Posts
Spanky . . . Now there’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time. . . . A long time.

How’s he doing?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spanky . . . Now there’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time. . . . A long time.

How’s he doing?
He’s the first person I attempted to reach out to. Unfortunately, his e-mail address is no longer active & his VS account hasn’t shown activity, for years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
17,823 Posts
What exactly is the turbo? I see a 12 blade TD04HL hot side...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
It looks like some balance material on the nose was previously removed to balance the (unchipped) turbine rotor opposite that blade. While you could carefully file and blend that leading edge chipout and try to re-balance, given the labor now is your chance for an 11 blade turbine upgrade, let the rev range move up a bit. Especially useful if a FWD application. Reaction to design . . . .

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like some balance material on the nose was previously removed to balance the (unchipped) turbine rotor opposite that blade. While you could carefully file and blend that leading edge chipout and try to re-balance, given the labor now is your chance for an 11 blade turbine upgrade, let the rev range move up a bit. Especially useful if a FWD application. Reaction to design . . . .
Thank you for the feedback. I upgraded to a 9-blade turbine wheel, from TurboLabofAmerica.com. I've already installed the new wheel, but no one local does turbo, rotating assembly balancing, so, I'll need to send it out-of-state, for that service.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts