SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XC60 Momentum
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody bought any of the plastic wood grain dashboard stuff that's made in China and sold on ebay?
volvo xc60 wood trim in Trim | eBay

My 2020 Momentum has brushed aluminum trim and I prefer the warm look of wood. There's at least one thread that discusses removing the OEM aluminum trim and adding OEM wood trim but I can't find the parts to fit my car.

The ebay wood grain parts appear to be overlays; molded ABS plastic pieces that are glued on over the aluminum trim. They're expensive and wouldn't be easy to return if they don't fit well or they look tacky. Shipping items back to China is expensive.

So, has anybody seen these pieces? Would 3M vinyl wrap be more practical? Anybody want to make an even swap of OEM trim with me?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XC90 3.2L
403 Posts
You're awfully brave if you think those Chinese parts will fit as well as your factory ones do. I definitely like the vinyl idea better, but swapping with someone is obviously another good choice, just have to find someone willing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Has anybody bought any of the plastic wood grain dashboard stuff that's made in China and sold on ebay?

My 2020 Momentum has brushed aluminum trim and I prefer the warm look of wood. There's at least one thread that discusses removing the OEM aluminum trim and adding OEM wood trim but I can't find the parts to fit my car.

The ebay wood grain parts appear to be overlays; molded ABS plastic pieces that are glued on over the aluminum trim. They're expensive and wouldn't be easy to return if they don't fit well or they look tacky. Shipping items back to China is expensive.

So, has anybody seen these pieces? Would 3M vinyl wrap be more practical? Anybody want to make an even swap of OEM trim with me?
From the photos, I think it looks cheap and tacky. It'd be one thing if it was meant to replace the existing trim. But fitting over the top is virtually impossible to get flush/OEM-looking.

I'd save your money for the OEM parts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I swapped out my metal for driftwood on my r design. If you don’t care about the center console the dash wood is super simple to remove, especially if you don’t car that the removed metal trim gets dinged up. The hardest part is not indenting the metal during removal with tools, but if you don’t care…..replacing the dash trim is like a 30 minute job.

Which wood trim color do you want? I can get your the part numbers easy enough. The center console is a real pain to to and takes a lot of time

·
Registered
14,741 Posts

Yeah, please don't put this stuff in your new car. The only way I'd do this is with OEM Volvo.

Reactions: billshoff

·
Registered
2020 XC60 Momentum
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I swapped out my metal for driftwood on my r design. If you don’t care about the center console the dash wood is super simple to remove, especially if you don’t car that the removed metal trim gets dinged up. The hardest part is not indenting the metal during removal with tools, but if you don’t care…..replacing the dash trim is like a 30 minute job.

Which wood trim color do you want? I can get your the part numbers easy enough. The center console is a real pain to to and takes a lot of time
I tried to find a factory part(s) for the dash but Tasca showed no inserts....just the complete trim piece with the wood grain already attached. Mine is a 2020 Momentum made for the US market.
I would rather have OEM inserts if available. TIA, Bill

·
Registered
358 Posts
I tried to find a factory part(s) for the dash but Tasca showed no inserts....just the complete trim piece with the wood grain already attached. Mine is a 2020 Momentum made for the US market.
I would rather have OEM inserts if available. TIA, Bill
I'm a little confused. These parts are always going to have a plastic backing with the clips and what not. Are you just looking for the veneers themselves? How would you affix them?

Riley Volvo or Faulkner Volvo parts departments usually have the lowest prices that I found. I've switched trim in a number of Volvos, including my current V60. And I have the pieces here waiting for me to figure out how to swap them in our XC40 Recharge.

For example, these are what some of the pieces look like from the V60 swap I did. Depending on which piece it is, you may be looking at something that has a vent trim or something attached to it.
Wood Automotive design Natural material Automotive exterior Tool

Watch Jewellery Electric blue Font Composite material

·
Registered
2020 XC60 Momentum
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
When I check the parts diagrams for the wood trim I see images like this one:
Arm Gesture Font Elbow Slope

I don't see separate trim pieces that attach to the surface. 1morerobot, your top picture shows a thin veneer that seems to snap onto the dash. If those veneers are available for a 2020 XC60 then could someone help me find them, please?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
When I check the parts diagrams for the wood trim I see images like this one: View attachment 144137

I don't see separate trim pieces that attach to the surface. 1morerobot, your top picture shows a thin veneer that seems to snap onto the dash. If those veneers are available for a 2020 XC60 then could someone help me find them, please?
There are no separate veneers for the trim. The wood trim is glued to a backing, and that backing is permanently affixed to the the chrome metal trim that accompanies the wood. There is no way to replaced just the wood only, you must replace the entire trim pieces with the vent surrounds included. It's really quite simple, and the photos posted here of the trim pieces accurately show you what has to be replaced. These are the trim pieces listed in the parts catalogue, and you have found the correct trim pieces. I was like you and assumed the wood was a separate piece like designs of the past, but not in this case. If you want to switch the trim, you have all the info you need now to order correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts