SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

Why are people getting torn apart for asking more novice questions? Why are people that have serious experience getting questioned and/or torn apart?

This is supposed to be a fun site. Not a clicky who knows more about what, you don't know what the heck you're talking about site. And it is very prevalent! It's not all of you guys. I respect a lot of you but some turn this site into something new members, guys with less experience and guys with serious experience don't want to deal with and they move on.

The culprits have truly alienated some serious talent from ever posting on this site and 50% of the time these culprits are wrong in their advice. You all know who you are.

I will personally vouch for this as some of my close friends who are probably the top Volvo techs on the east coast (and they are so don't even question it) have told me they will never come back here because they were torn apart by members that didn't know what they were talking about.

I have never seen such a site with posts like this. I've been a member on hardcore offroading sites and was trail leader on trips where parts snap off rigs in the middle of a trail event miles from nowhere and we all worked together to fix it and respected everyone's comments. Guaranty 98% of you have never had to hack off an exhaust in the middle of the road or clean out a Phlelem (Intake manifold) after ingesting water in the middle of nowhere so you can get your engine running again or maybe remove a broken driveshaft and drive home in front wheel drive or break and fix a trailing arm. I was never given any grief for posting about these things or how I did the fix.

Hey I can admit if I've mis quoted or given wrong information but I NEVER chastise someone for doing the same.

I think people on here need to chill out, wake up and respect member's posts and views.

Why should I come back to this site?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ah this topic again! I'm not going to rip you apart, just want to let you know that this has been an ongoing topic in the R forum and the Off topic forum as well. Good luck with not getting ripped though orwith someone else who posts here not getting ripped or the thread being locked..... I have learned to deal with the A-Holes here and take the good with the bad, not everyone here is an A-hole, also some of us just have bad days( like me) anyway it is what it is and it shall be that way till the end or until we decide not to visit here anymore.

On another note hope you stay Jordan you seemed like a good person last we met!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: (mpdbrown)

Shouldn't need it if the moderators just did their jobs better and got rid of the BS. I agree with the original poster. Half of the stuff on here is just cliquey garbage from the same posters. While most threads start out with legit. questions, they often get polluted with editorials and crap, why?

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Most of us have given misinformation......

But I'll never take it personal if i've been corrected. Which I have many times.

I didn't mean to make you feel picked on , but theres mis-information that's not going to help someone.

Aside from all the bolt-on work I've done to my own car. Track days, and more serious complicated issues i've been corrected on many times. Big deal.

If someone gives some random information about audio that may not be as useful as IT COULD BE, I'll help out, unless I just dont feel like typing it. That was my choice in career...and I've been around the block a few times, as well as starting out by installing many back yard systems, then going to school for its fundamentals.

Please, don't take it so personal.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Re: (TWMn)

If some of the moderators weren't part of the cliquey garbage it wouldn't happen as often either which is why I rarely come to the R forum and start a thread here asking for advice on something I found other sources, also not all of the moderators are bad those who are know who they are unfortunately and continue to suck at their "volunteer" jobs. Like I said though it is what it is. Like China said don't take it personal.

some guys only get to be tough on the internet so let them have their glory, cause in real life 90% of them don't get that glory of being tough and putting someone down.........Like I always said if it was that serious they can come see me or vice versa.....

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Hmmm the sand got washed away in the Off Topic forum and moved into here ...........

And dont forget some of us only come here to help out you guys

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Honestly, who cares. If you get that offended by internet comments something is wrong. Ignore it if you don't like it. I laugh at everything because I think it's funny as hell. Come back and read the archives and you won't have to deal with anyone. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It's the interwebz man. Didn't you know everyone has a 155 iq, is 6'6" 290lbs with 3.2% bodyfat, a world class cage fighter and rich? Duh.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Re: (kmagnuss)

Quote, originally posted by kmagnuss »
It's the interwebz man. Didn't you know everyone has a 155 iq, is 6'6" 290lbs with 3.2% bodyfat, a world class cage fighter and rich? Duh.

poop you found me out

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
Re: Chill out - Why get torn apart? Why should I come back to this site? (PMPN8EZ)

We have a thread just like this on Turbobricks right now. Seems to be a common theme on Volvo boards....

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Re: Chill out - Why get torn apart? Why should I come back to this site? (Body Massage)

Call people out and then shut them down. If you do not like the way certain members treat others, then stop it from happening!

I do not read enough of the forum to be familiar with all of the ins and outs...but I can say that this is the only forum I have ever been on where putting down other members, enough to make them leave, has been an issue...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (chinaonnitrous1)

I usually don't take it personally. This is a seperate post from the Audio post and is geared for everyone. This is just a post based on observances I've seen through the 2 years I've been on it. And is why i don't comment much on the site.

China, As for the Audio Post if you say your profession is in Car audio installation then I respect that and will back off, but then please post as to why my comments are mis-informing people. As I would like to understand my mistake.

Modified by PMPN8EZ at 10:56 AM 5-28-2009

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: Chill out - Why get torn apart? Why should I come back to this site? (Body Massage)

It's common across many message boards unfortunately, not just volvo. It's arrogance, disrespect, and rudeness that comes out when not having face to face talks with people.

and I agree with the OP.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Re: Chill out - Why get torn apart? Why should I come back to this site? (T5 for Life)

Agree with OP. There is NO reason for n00bs to be treated like crap. And the typical wannabe know-it-all response of "Search, n00b" is the biggest joke ever, when you consider the quality of the search functionality.

I have definitely been guilty of overstepping my bounds on the OTF, but that place is a gutter which should not be allowed to be moderated by people with the same biases as the usual suspects there. HOWEVER, in a forum like this one (The R forum, or any non OTF), EVERYBODY should be treated kindly, with respect, and in a dignified manner. Criticizing people's spelling is the first thing that needs to go, because if you do that regularly, and seriously, your exhibiting infantile behavior. Plenty of our members are ESL folks, and even native speakers shouldn't have to fear that they will be chastised, and their questions ignored, because they mispell something.

If this place is to serve as a resource, and everyone who has insight or questions should be able to participate, then we all need to just chill the bleep out, you know?

PMPN8EZ, I for one hope you do hang around, and hope that eye-opening posts like this can either get the a$$-hat behavior to stop, or get the offenders to just leave the forum. I dont give a fig how much you know about the options on a 2006 V70R if you're going to be a d-bag about it, especially to new members, but even with existing members.
Your buddies would be a huge plus to this site, and the fact that they specifically don't bother with SS because of your points should demostrate that the behavior around here is making SS more and more impotent and less relevant.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I'm not sure of the particular offending thread that prompted this discussion so excuse my generalization. Not too long ago this was discussed at length. There was some productive conversation and since then I have noticed a more concerted effort for members to be outwardly welcoming.

I understand that rifts will occur from time to time. However, I feel that lately many members have practiced more restraint and patience than they may have previously.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (TWMn)

Quote, originally posted by TWMn »
Shouldn't need it if the moderators just did their jobs better and got rid of the BS. I agree with the original poster. Half of the stuff on here is just cliquey garbage from the same posters. While most threads start out with legit. questions, they often get polluted with editorials and crap, why?

As a moderator, I take umbrage with this. Not personally, because I know that no matter what I do there's always a better way. But when you're on the other side of the fence, it's not so clear cut.

Where do you draw the line? What gets deleted, and what stays?

If there was a filter to keep every single thread 100% on topic, there would be no more threads. Also, probably 1/2 the answers that are developed here have little or nothing to do with the original topic.

No one likes having their posts deleted, threads locked, etc. It's not up to the moderators or the administrators to police individual behavior for tact or content, only to see that it adheres to forum rules.

Bottom line is this site is what the members make of it. For the most part, the moderators on all of the SS forums tend to let things slide in terms of being OT or a little out of bounds, because no one wants to live in a dictatorship. There is a fine line between correcting and bashing and when you really try to look at things objectively, sometimes it's hard to figure out which side of the fence to come down on.

This topic does come up every 6 months or so, and there ARE warnings to members who exhibit more, ahem, flamboyant behavior. The best remedy to this: don't rely on a moderator to police, call these people out yourself. They'll generally get the hint if they are being a dick.

In the end, it all comes down to the golden rule (and I don't mean he who has the gold makes the rules). If you're going to come on this forum and be a jackass, you're not going to get much out of it. Myself I try to always be polite when telling people to search, either trying to point them in the right direction or to give them a couple of threads to get them on the way. It's not easy, there is a lot of information out there.

People who have been here a while tend to get callous and not remember when they were a new member as well.

Think before you post.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts