SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a V70 with the 3rd seat. Our oldest son (7 yrs) has recently begun to want to ride in this seat regularly but my wife is concerned about rear-end collisions and general safety. It has a 3-pt. harness but I, too, wonder about rear-end collisions. Does anyone know what Volvo has to say about this? With their reputation for safety I wouldn't expect that they'd install the seat in this fashion without proper safety concerns addressed.<p>Many thanks,

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Re: Children's safety in V70 3rd seat (854R)

Brett, that is a very good question and something those of us with kids that are getting to that age need to think about.<p>There really isn't a "crumple zone" per se like the trunk of an S70 or the frontend of our cars. I would venture a guess that the rear hatch glass has the potential to shatter (seen this on many SUVs) from a mild rear end collision.<p>Drew, you are the news archive man, any rear end collision data available on the V70s?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Re: Children's safety in V70 3rd seat (83caddy16v)

I've seen some pics of rear ended volvo wagons. The crumple zone doesn't appear to be the same as in a sedan, rather it "gives right behind the back door, leaving the rear pretty much intact. This is not technical evidence of anything, but based on what i've seen and heard others discuss. Assuming the wagon is designed to behave differently than the sedan in a rear end collision (which i believe it does), then your concern might be reduced some.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Children's safety in V70 3rd seat (83caddy16v)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR><br>There really isn't a "crumple zone" per se like the trunk of an S70 or the frontend of our cars. I would venture a guess that the rear hatch glass has the potential to shatter (seen this on many SUVs) from a mild rear end collision.<p><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Chris,<p>You are absolutely wrong in this...the V70s have been designed with the 3rd seat in mind and the rear crumple zone is stiffer than that in the sedan (at the small penalty of having more forces spread around the front of the car)...I have seen the skeleton of the V70 and it is one impressive structure. Volvo would have never attempted to install a 3rd seat if it were not safe. That's why there are strict rules as to how tall and how heavy a person can sit back there.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Children's safety in V70 3rd seat (GrecianVolvo)

All good points and what I expected. I'm sure Volvo has addressed this publicly at one point or another, just have to find it. Also good point though about the potential for the rear window to shatter...and with little ones facing that direction it's a scary thought. Think it could be designed to pop out in some fashion without or before shattering??<p>Thanks

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Re: Children's safety in V70 3rd seat (GrecianVolvo)

Yannis, <br>thanks for the correction and explaination. I really didn't mean to imply Volvo would take a short cut on safety.<p>I used the wrong term there. I was thinking in general terms of a cushion or pocket area -- the trunk area would be such an area, 12" to 24" of space between the point of impact and a passenger, whereas someone riding in the back of the V70 with their legs against the rear hatch have very little between them and the point of impact. Which then ties into the end of your statement -- someone riding back there needs to be a certain height.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts