SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty sure some of us here have the same problem, our kids' car seats are messing up the car's leather seat and it seems like there's nothing we can do about. Now don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a child safe and have a higher chance of survival in case a crash occur than a pristine car seat.

Now the questions are and I know this has been asked before; is there something we can do to minimize the damage to the back seat? I know people have suggested putting a car seat protector, but how effective is that and is it proven to not slide in an accident defeating the whole purpose of a child car seat? People also mentioned here that firefighters/experts do not recommend it but I wanted to hear from those who have used it and your reasoning for going against what was endorsed by the professionals.

Here are the pictures of what the backseat looked like after a week of putting the car seat on it and after another week without it. I couldn't imagine a year or so would look like. By the way the child seat I'm using is Britax Marathon 70.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
We used to use something very similar to the Britax one and it worked great.

Are you dealing with a true an infant or toddler seat with it's own harness or a booster seat? If the former, you shouldn't have to worry about travel no matter what's under the seat since it should be held in place by the latches.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Britax or Prince Lionheart looks great. Thanks!

By the way, I'm deciding between using the much more secure latches on the side seats, or stuck to using the seat belt in the center seat, to secure my infant britax seat. The center is supposedly a safer place, but then again, it's not secured down as tight. I'm using the center at the moment. The side seats would be much easier for my wife to load and unload though.

·
Banned
763 Posts
The Britax or Prince Lionheart looks great. Thanks!

By the way, I'm deciding between using the much more secure latches on the side seats, or stuck to using the seat belt in the center seat, to secure my infant britax seat. The center is supposedly a safer place, but then again, it's not secured down as tight. I'm using the center at the moment. The side seats would be much easier for my wife to load and unload though.
You really need to put your back into the seat belt to get a tight installation, because you need to pull out all the slack in the belt. However, yes, the center is safer than either side.

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/2014/07/safest-position/

That said, if you can't get a secure installation in the center, then yes, you're absolutely safer installing the seat where you *can* get one.

And from what I've read, I don't think the protectors are safe or recommended, at least for the vast majority of car seats. The problem you described is exactly what you're risking.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Now the questions are and I know this has been asked before; is there something we can do to minimize the damage to the back seat? I know people have suggested putting a car seat protector, but how effective is that and is it proven to not slide in an accident defeating the whole purpose of a child car seat?
My experience, posted in a previous thread. We'll live with the seat indentations. This was a minor consideration in deciding to go with with the M+ with standard seats.
We used protectors as well. However when I was out of town my wife went to the police station to have the seat moved into another car before a road trip. The police would not install the seat with the protector, saying it was unsafe. To my sensibilities this seemed overly cautious and maybe a CYA move. You can find plenty of opinions to the contrary online, and it seems like there are many installation factors which dwarf protectors in terms of safety risk. As long as the latch anchors are tight, common sense says you should be good. However my wife doesn't want to use them anymore and it's one battle I don't need.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We used to use something very similar to the Britax one and it worked great.

Are you dealing with a true an infant or toddler seat with it's own harness or a booster seat? If the former, you shouldn't have to worry about travel no matter what's under the seat since it should be held in place by the latches.
I'm using Britax Marathon 70 and I have a 4 yr toddler. I think I'll try the Britax vehicle protector because of the following features: Engineered, non-slip material for best-in-class car seat crash performance, crash tested and approved for use with Britax car seats.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found that a towel works pretty well.

As far as seat position, LATCH is easier, not safer. Your goal is not to get the seat so tight that it doesn't move at all, just so that it is largely secure.

My secret tip is to support your entire body weight in the seat (on your knee) and tighten the belt as tight as you can while it is supporting your weight. When you remove your weight, the seat will be as secure as you possibly need it to be.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have you personally used the Britax one? Care to share a photo and your insight?
Sorry I have no pics. I have use both but prefer the Britax even though it only protects the bottom cushion. The lower flap is great because it protects the seat from dirty feet. Wish they made it in more colors.
The Leather should eventually unwrinkle to its original state.

·
Registered
92 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts