SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok y’all, so I know this is silly but I’m genuinely curious

1998 v70 awd glt wtf bbq

This is my first turbo car and I’ve dealt with exhaust on other non turbos before

I’d like to get a better exhaust note, but y local exhaust shop says that with turbo cars better mufflers really don’t do anything, and it seems the easiest route is cat back straight pipes, 2.75-3”.

Would this potentially harm the motor? I’m not going to be neutral revving it (much)

While I’m here, is there anything I can do safely to get better turbo sounds?

I don’t want to do anything that’ll negatively affect performance/durability in either event, just looking for a bit more fun out of her.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Your local exhaust shop is full of sh*t.

There are several good options for the awd cars. Dual borla or flow master mufflers are a common swap out. TME, Ferrita, Simons all make axle back systems for the awd cars as well.

Stock mufflers are extremely quiet and restrictive, putting literally anything else on will wake the car up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! When I said “don’t really do anything L I was meaning more in terms of sound, rather than performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Thanks! When I said “don’t really do anything L I was meaning more in terms of sound, rather than performance.

I stand by my previous statement. Don’t know what kind of turbo cars this shop has ever dealt with but any muffler change on a volvo really wakes them up. If you want strait up howling and screaming noise, strait pipe. If you want an actual exhaust note, any performance muffler and really any muffler other than stock will provide that.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,418 Posts
As for intake sound, dropping in a K&N or IPD (dry) air filter will make you happy. Just don't over-oil the K&N or your MAF could get fouled, but lots of us have run these successfully for years and appreciate the added sounds they allow.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Or AEM dry flow. Maf is 2.75" for reference, AEM 2.75x5" pn 21-202DK works great.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,418 Posts
Try the drop-in first and see if you like it. You might even feel a bit more power. Then, you can "upgrade" to an open intake for even more sound enhancement, but you won't gain any further power. I personally have the open and prefer the additional sound.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try the drop-in first and see if you like it. You might even feel a bit more power. Then, you can "upgrade" to an open intake for even more sound enhancement, but you won't gain any further power. I personally have the open and prefer the additional sound.
If there’s a “how to” on the open intake I’d probably just jump to that. I’m not known for moderation lol.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Childish exhaust question:straight pipes & turbo noises

If there’s a “how to” on the open intake I’d probably just jump to that. I’m not known for moderation lol.

Remove airbox at the maf. Filter on maf housing. I’ve done this as an experiment and just let the filter sit in the bottom half of the OEM airbox, works fine. Nice induction noises

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Ok y’all, so I know this is silly but I’m genuinely curious

1998 v70 awd glt wtf bbq

This is my first turbo car and I’ve dealt with exhaust on other non turbos before

I’d like to get a better exhaust note, but y local exhaust shop says that with turbo cars better mufflers really don’t do anything, and it seems the easiest route is cat back straight pipes, 2.75-3”.

Would this potentially harm the motor? I’m not going to be neutral revving it (much)

While I’m here, is there anything I can do safely to get better turbo sounds?

I don’t want to do anything that’ll negatively affect performance/durability in either event, just looking for a bit more fun out of her.

Thanks!!!
Believe it or not, turbo cars are inherently quieter that NA cars. If you are looking for more audible sound, better flowing exhaust with less baffling will get you what you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just out of curiosity, is the p80 exhaust fully welded or can I unbolt it And “test” the sound?

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is the p80 exhaust fully welded or can I unbolt it And “test” the sound?

Theres a clamp to the rear mufflers but good luck actually getting the system apart.

·
Registered
282 Posts
You will hate your car on any trip over 20 minutes if you straight-pipe it (drone 2k-2500rpm). Mine was that way (3" stainless all the way to the back, which is stupid-large for a 2.3l motor and it doesn't fit well underneath esp. over the rear axle) when I bought it. Now it has a stock exhaust from the cat back and I couldn't be happier with it (still has performance downpipe and high-flow cat). It's loud and growly when you want it to be, and nice and non-droney on the highway.

Just my $.02. I spent several months trying various mufflers and I finally put on a stock muffler and tailpipe (came from a Pick-n-Pull for $35 or so). Honestly I don't notice any performance loss from doing so - maybe the turbo spools up a tiny bit slower, but I am not racing my car so I don't care. Make your cuts in straight sections of your piping so you can add back a coupling if you decide to change things later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will hate your car on any trip over 20 minutes if you straight-pipe it (drone 2k-2500rpm). Mine was that way (3" stainless all the way to the back, which is stupid-large for a 2.3l motor and it doesn't fit well underneath esp. over the rear axle) when I bought it. Now it has a stock exhaust from the cat back and I couldn't be happier with it (still has performance downpipe and high-flow cat). It's loud and growly when you want it to be, and nice and non-droney on the highway.

Just my $.02. I spent several months trying various mufflers and I finally put on a stock muffler and tailpipe (came from a Pick-n-Pull for $35 or so). Honestly I don't notice any performance loss from doing so - maybe the turbo spools up a tiny bit slower, but I am not racing my car so I don't care. Make your cuts in straight sections of your piping so you can add back a coupling if you decide to change things later.
I was thinking about leaving the resonator on just for that reason.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Idk anything about the exhaust but i can say when i switched from the stock air box to a different one and different filter you could hear the turbo way more and the air sounds and everything, if youre looking for turbo noises that would help a lot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts