SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. What are your thoughts on putting child seats in the third row. There must be safety issues as there are no anchors or tethers back there. I know the seat belts are 3 point with pretensioners, but can you put anchors back there? Not rear facing child seat, but a booster or front facing car seat?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: Child Seats (Dills)

Boosters and front-facing seats don't generally use tethers/anchors, and we put such seats back there all the time. Buckets and rear-facing, no way.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
592 Posts

<br>All car seats should have anchors, forward or back facing. Booster seat would be fine with <br>the 3 point back there.<p>Would need to have one of the 2nd row seats without a child seat so that the 3rd row person can<br>get out of the car.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Dills</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys. What are your thoughts on putting child seats in the third row. There must be safety issues as there are no anchors or tethers back there. I know the seat belts are 3 point with pretensioners, but can you put anchors back there? Not rear facing child seat, but a booster or front facing car seat?</TD></TR></TABLE>'<p><br>My sister in law runs booster seats in the back no problem. She has never run the baby seat back there, always outboard second row. She's got three kids (2, 5, 7) and the 7 year old is just about out of the booster (he's in the high chair type now) and he sits in the back row, with the other back seat lowered for cargo. The 2 year old sits opposite him, and the 5 year old in front, that way he can get in and out of the back without having to move the seat. <p>

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: Child Seats (needsdecaf)

<p>Good solution using the back hatch as a door for the 7yo. If traveling he can always sit in the center built-in booster. We use the builtin boster for our 6-yo if we need to have an adult sit in the 2nd row, we have a car seat in the othe outboard 2nd row.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Child Seats (calridng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>calridng</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Good solution using the back hatch as a door for the 7yo. If traveling he can always sit in the center built-in booster. We use the builtin boster for our 6-yo if we need to have an adult sit in the 2nd row, we have a car seat in the othe outboard 2nd row.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Sorry, I meant that he can get in and out of the 3rd row via the second without having to move the toddler seat from the second row.<p>But I'm sure that he's hopped in the hatch!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Child Seats (cyjohnson)

<I>"Volvo sent out a suplement of child seating. It said no child seats in the 3rd allowed."</I><p>Yes, that is indeed correct. I wonder why Volvo said nothing about it until now-about 4 years after the XC90 launch. <p>I also wonder why exactly car seats are not allowed. Is it because of the lack of anchors? Structural issues?-probably not because if it's safe enough for a child in a booster, it should be ok for a child in a car seat. Perhaps Volvo is being super cautious-after all they recommend that kid should face rear until at least <I>four </I>years of age, later if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts