SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for reading this post and sharing information.

I've just been loaned a XC90 D5 in Paris pending delivery of our T8 within the forthcoming month! We've waited over 1 year for this.

Anyway, we have 4 boys and I really need to figure out the child lock feature. I looked on the manual and it says that the child lock button on the driver's door should lock both rear windows and doors. I find that feature great since I can unlock my kids' doors when dropping them at school without having to exit the car. However, every time I tried it and asked my son to open the door it did not work.

Called my rep in Paris and he told me that I should lock the rear doors mechanically like you would do in any car. I am surprised as it goes against the manual.

Anyone would have fresh input for me to help?

Thanks all.
JC

·
Registered
159 Posts
Make sure you use the right button. There is a lock on the side of the door (padlock icon) that simply locks the car to outside access. You can still open the doors from inside. Child lock is on the door armrest (a stickman icon) and that disables the rear door handles. It will also say it's engaged on the instrument panel and the message stays on until you acknowledge it with steering wheel button. You can enable it to engage automatically as you pull away too. It works on mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, it may well be an option.

I tried pressing the button right beneath the windows buttons on the driver's door but it does not lock the rear doors. I'll give it another go tonight, if it does not work I'll use the mechanic locks in the rear doors.

Thanks all anyway for your posts.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think mine is missing mechanical locks. So if yours has them it probably does not have the option.
The button location you mentioned is correct. Sounds like a malfunction

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think mine is missing mechanical locks. So if yours has them it probably does not have the option.
The button location you mentioned is correct. Sounds like a malfunction
+1, sounds like a malfunction: in my D5 pressing the "child lock" button below the windows blocks both doors and windows. Doors can then only be opened from the outside IF you unlock them with the other button (vertical one that locks all doors from being opened from the outside) or you select auto lock once in movement.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Didn't someone report in another thread that you had to pull the rear door handle twice to exit the vehicle while under child lock? Can't find the thread so this info may be incorrect.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm fairly certain child lock disables the handle completely. I couldn't find the button at first and used to have to come out to let adults out of the back

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I've not checked it in this car but this is how I've always known child lock to work:

When child lock is ON, you cannot open the rear doors form the inside of the vehicle, period. Does not matter if you pull the handle twice or not. That would make the whole intent of child safety locks useless as it is to prevent a child from opening the door near them from inside the vehicle and falling out of a potential moving vehicle. Still, while on, the rear doors can be opened from the outside for when an adult needs to remove the child from the rear of the car.

When child lock is off, you can open the rear doors normally. The double pull of the inside door handle comes into play when the doors themselves are locked. The first pull on the inside door handle, when child lock is off, unlocks the door and then the second pull of the inside handle opens the door. If the door is already unlocked and child lock is off, then one pull of the handle opens the door.

Now, I've known child lock to usually be a small switch that you manually flip on each rear door (on the 'inside' of the door when the door is opened). Then, there would be a separate button for window lock on the drivers door. Again, I'm not at my car right now but I think in this car the one button on the drivers door activates the child lock and window lock, right? Maybe now I'll have to go look and see for myself...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've not checked it in this car but this is how I've always known child lock to work:

When child lock is ON, you cannot open the rear doors form the inside of the vehicle, period. Does not matter if you pull the handle twice or not. That would make the whole intent of child safety locks useless as it is to prevent a child from opening the door near them from inside the vehicle and falling out of a potential moving vehicle. Still, while on, the rear doors can be opened from the outside for when an adult needs to remove the child from the rear of the car.

When child lock is off, you can open the rear doors normally. The double pull of the inside door handle comes into play when the doors themselves are locked. The first pull on the inside door handle, when child lock is off, unlocks the door and then the second pull of the inside handle opens the door. If the door is already unlocked and child lock is off, then one pull of the handle opens the door.

Now, I've known child lock to usually be a small switch that you manually flip on each rear door (on the 'inside' of the door when the door is opened). Then, there would be a separate button for window lock on the drivers door. Again, I'm not at my car right now but I think in this car the one button on the drivers door activates the child lock and window lock, right? Maybe now I'll have to go look and see for myself...
confirmed, there is a single button for door and windows locking. I haven't checked on my car if the physical handle disable screw inside the door is still there or not.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Every XC90 has the button on the drivers door which disables the rear power windows. IF you have the optional power child locks, that same button that disables the rear windows enables the rear child locks. If you do not have the optional power child locks, you enable them mechanically in each rear door.

Link to owners manual for info:
http://support.volvocars.com/uk/car...5de&category=87086200629279d7c0a801e801f574d9

·
Registered
24 Posts
The child locks on the XC90 the OP was driving could be defective.

My XC90 has had the "locking mechanism" fail on the car twice, with an alert on the dashboard. In fact the rear door would not open at all under any circumstance.

It went back to normal after a few days. I'm pretty certain it is a software problem.

My dealer couldn't replicate it. Luckily I have pictures and video.

If it happens a third time and they don't fix it, I'm going to make Volvo buy my vehicle back, as it renders the vehicle very unsafe.

I'm hoping this big software update cures it though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts