SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with this question, can 3 child car seats fit in the 2nd row of the XC90? Okay, one more, what is your approach with 3 kids under 2 years old when transporting? One in the third row and 2 in the 2nd or all three in the 2nd? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You can take out the center seat, then you could do 2 in the middle row and still have easy access to the kid in the 3rd row. There is a how to on here. The hardest part is finding the SRS connector. You need it to fool the car into thinking the seat belt is still connected.

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We have had 3 in the 2nd row of our XC90 for nearly 3 years now - twin 4 year olds and a 2 year old. We use the Diono Radian seats and there is ample, if not an excess, of room. I would not want anyone in the 3rd row until they can climb back there and buckle themselves in reliably. You also lose almost all luggage space with the 3rd row up.

3 under 2 is going to be tough, because you should have them all rear facing until they are at least 2. This will interfere with how far back the front seats can go. With the Dionos there is a foam base available that changes the angle the seat sits at rear-facing to give you a couple extra inches. Things get a LOT easier once they are forward facing.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Can anyone help me with this question, can 3 child car seats fit in the 2nd row of the XC90? Okay, one more, what is your approach with 3 kids under 2 years old when transporting? One in the third row and 2 in the 2nd or all three in the 2nd? Thanks in advance.
3 seats in the second row? I know seats (and legislation) are probably different between the US and the UK but we regularly have three seats on the second row. We have a 7yo, 4yo and 2yo and I've had the XC90 nearly two years.

As far as three under 2, I'd probably try and get them all in the second row assuming it would be a mix of Group 0+ and Group 1 seats. There's no Isofix on the third row and they're a sod to get to if you're having to remove seats from the second row to access them. Plus you're eating into valuable child detritus space :D

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, just to be clear, there is no access to the 3rd row when you have child seats in the two outboard positions. The only access is through the rear gate unless you remove the middle seat of the second row as suggested above. Still, that doesn't really solve the issue if your seats are rear-facing.

·
Registered
696 Posts
You will need 3 rear facing seats in the 2nd row--I doubt you could even fit a rear facing seat in the 3rd row. Get the narrowest ones you can find (probably Radians). I hope you aren't over 6 feet tall!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

And yea, I am 6' 2. We have one GC that has a Diono Radian reversible that he just qualified for being able to face forward. I think he would go behind the driver, now we have to deal with the two rear facing twins in the 2nd row. Not sure is the drivers seat will be given much relief with a rear facer in the middle.

I know this 3 row seat idea will be good in the future, I am just not convinced it is the best way to go with a toddler and two infants which is what we are dealing with now. Along with the C70, we have a 13 Silverado crew cab which fits all the little folk in the back pretty well. I just sold the 2010 Colorado which had 200K on it for $9K so we could get another family vehicle. Wife doesn't want Ford, Dodge, or Chevy because they rust so fast. I am looking at an early model 07 XC90 right now.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The real question is that if you have two seats in the second row and one in the third, will you be able to fit the massive stroller(s) you need to take with you in what is left of the cargo area with the third row deployed. Those things are huge these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks all.

And yea, I am 6' 2. We have one GC that has a Diono Radian reversible that he just qualified for being able to face forward. I think he would go behind the driver, now we have to deal with the two rear facing twins in the 2nd row. Not sure is the drivers seat will be given much relief with a rear facer in the middle.

I know this 3 row seat idea will be good in the future, I am just not convinced it is the best way to go with a toddler and two infants which is what we are dealing with now. Along with the C70, we have a 13 Silverado crew cab which fits all the little folk in the back pretty well. I just sold the 2010 Colorado which had 200K on it for $9K so we could get another family vehicle. Wife doesn't want Ford, Dodge, or Chevy because they rust so fast. I am looking at an early model 07 XC90 right now.
Yeah, it's going to be tough to make it work. Honestly, you're better off with something bigger than the XC90 (and many other 3-row SUVs). Tahoe or Expedition and you will probably be happier.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Or a van... The Honda Odyssey is a really reliable one. We had an '03 for forever, then my mom ran it into a tree. Took the tree out, and only messed up the bumper. It drove for another 50,000 miles until we traded it in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We are going to look at the 07 tomorrow, this will help immensely since I have only been internet shopping. The XC90 would be mainly used as a vehicle for my better half but then available to go pick up the kids 90 miles away and bring them back for the week or weekend. Typically this is something she does by herself. She is 5' 2. That is not to say that I will not drive up with her being the passenger at times though.

Up to this point we have doubled most the big stuff so we don't have to haul it, cribs, toys, jumpers, although not that huge stroller. we have a very cool radio flyer wagon that folds up small and seats two and a fold up stroller here at our house.

If we can make the suv work for those 90 mile trips every two to three weeks then so be it, if not, then maybe a van. I will measure the rear facer from the back of the back seat to the back of the rear facer seat when in my truck and that will be deciding point with the XC.

Thanks for all the input, let you know how this thing turns out. Already wishing I didn't sell my Colorado in a big way. Although it wasn't good with 3 infants.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Time to post up a shot of our 2007. We bought it in late 2013, to replace our 2001 S60 T5 when baby #3 was on the way.

It's a V8 with chestnut sovereign hide leather, RSE, BLIS, active xenons, and climate package.

I've added 19" ipd replica Pegs (machined finish) with 2016 XC90 center caps, 2013 LED tail lamps, updated tailgate badging, OEM crossbars, hidden hitch with wiring, and matching tint on the front two windows. I also removed the middle seat on the second row (thanks to instructions found on this forum), for a much easier pass through (we have 3 car seats in this thing!).

Here's Caliwagon's XC90 with 3 car seats and the center seat removed.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't tell if the one behind the drivers seat is a rear facer, also, do you think a 6'2 could drive your ride 90 miles? Looks like the deal though!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It's forward facing, I am 6' even and I fit just fine. My 6'4" buddy can't sit right behind me, but my 6' friend doesn't have any issues if that helps. I drove mine for 6 hours straight without a problem, and 90 miles feels like a warm up.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's forward facing, I am 6' even and I fit just fine. My 6'4" buddy can't sit right behind me, but my 6' friend doesn't have any issues if that helps. I drove mine for 6 hours straight without a problem, and 90 miles feels like a warm up.

Thanks! Now just two more, please bare with. Would your 6'4" buddy have a big issue driving with the car seat behind him? Is the car seat behind the passenger seat a rear facer?

If the answer is no and yes then this may be the way to go for my challenge. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Correct on both! He has no problems, and prefers driving my XC90 to his Escalade with 415hp. I've never had a rear facing child seat, but he's driven with the same 6' friend behind him and space has never been an issue. The rear facing is behind the passenger seat in that picture. And keep asking! I have no problems answering, and can take pictures of my interior if it helps you out!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks! Now just two more, please bare with. Would your 6'4" buddy have a big issue driving with the car seat behind him? Is the car seat behind the passenger seat a rear facer?

If the answer is no and yes then this may be the way to go for my challenge. Thanks in advance.
It's my XC90 in the photos above. I'm also 6' 4" and the seat behind the driver's has a front facing child seat in it (Graco Nautilus). No way I could drive the car with a rear facing seat behind me. We have a rear facing seat (Chicco Keyfit) behind the front passenger seat, but it's mostly my wife that rides shotgun. My 5-year-old goes in the third row, but he buckles himself with the seat belt (he'll transition to just a bottom booster this summer).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's my XC90 in the photos above. I'm also 6' 4" and the seat behind the driver's has a front facing child seat in it (Graco Nautilus). No way I could drive the car with a rear facing seat behind me. We have a rear facing seat (Chicco Keyfit) behind the front passenger seat, but it's mostly my wife that rides shotgun. My 5-year-old goes in the third row, but he buckles himself with the seat belt (he'll transition to just a bottom booster this summer).
My apologies, and thanks for doubling up on the answer. Now the wife is asking me to look for a newer one.......like 09 or 10... when does it end.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Then maybe a 2009 V8 R-Design? That's the last year of the V8.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts