SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been living car-free in Chicago for over fifteen years, and recently decided it would be "worth it" to have our own car. My parents just got their fifteenth Volvo, so you could say I grew up in a Volvo household, having learned to drive on a 88 745 GLE with ~300k miles, though before I officially got my license it (maybe) saved mom's life and was totaled. I knew I wanted ADW, and MrsChiBrk said absolutely NO WAGONS (I know, right), so we were looking for 2015/2015.5 S80 AWD or a 2017/2018 S60 Inscription AWD (the 2015/2016 A4 quarto was also in the mix).

We ended up with (what I think is) a good deal on a Savile Gray 2015.5 S80 T6 Platinum AWD, purchased completely remotely from a domestic dealer in Tennessee for a shade under $12.5k all in (inspection, purchase, taxes & fees, shipping, and our first trip to our Volvo dealership). It's in nice shape, and only needed an engine mount and fluid flush, but it had A LOT of miles...116,331 to be exact. It's doesn't have the Climate or Inscription Packages, and no Bors, but it did have the Titanias, which I like much more than the standard wheels.

I'm planning to pick up the oem load bars, and the trunk tray right away. I will also ask about activating the remote start, but we aren't 100% on that. When the Vredestein Quadracs are due for replacement I'd like to get another set of wheels and do summer and winter tires. We don't consistently get a lot of snow in Chicago, so I'm leaning towards the Sottozeros on the Titanias. For the summers, I'd really like to go up to 19's but I think the chrome Venators would look great with the SGM, either way I'm thinking Michelin PS4s.

Once it's detailed, I will post some pictures.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Welcome to the forum, my similar-concept username cousin, LOL. I can't help any with your vehicle platform (or your wife's not getting the wagon thing), but if you check the Non-Affiliated Wheels thread from time to time, you might find something posted there that you like. From what I hear the Bors are prone to being bent on potholes anyways. What about the 8-spoke Inscription wheels? I like those a lot.

Edit: Look like someone on SS already tried them. Maybe a bit too big?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. I’ve been watching the wheel thread for mine and for the parents fleet too. I’m not too broken hearted about the Bors themselves, as I think it’d be too monochromatic with the Savile Gray, but I would have like the sport chassis that came with them.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fortuna always look good and were an S80 option, too.

These are actually on my list, though I’m a bit concerned they will be too low contrast.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've been living car-free in Chicago for over fifteen years, and recently decided it would be "worth it" to have our own car. My parents just got their fifteenth Volvo, so you could say I grew up in a Volvo household, having learned to drive on a 88 745 GLE with ~300k miles, though before I officially got my license it (maybe) saved mom's life and was totaled. I knew I wanted ADW, and MrsChiBrk said absolutely NO WAGONS (I know, right), so we were looking for 2015/2015.5 S80 AWD or a 2017/2018 S60 Inscription AWD (the 2015/2016 A4 quarto was also in the mix).

We ended up with (what I think is) a good deal on a Savile Gray 2015.5 S80 T6 Platinum AWD, purchased completely remotely from a domestic dealer in Tennessee for a shade under $12.5k all in (inspection, purchase, taxes & fees, shipping, and our first trip to our Volvo dealership). It's in nice shape, and only needed an engine mount and fluid flush, but it had A LOT of miles...116,331 to be exact. It's doesn't have the Climate or Inscription Packages, and no Bors, but it did have the Titanias, which I like much more than the standard wheels.

I'm planning to pick up the oem load bars, and the trunk tray right away. I will also ask about activating the remote start, but we aren't 100% on that. When the Vredestein Quadracs are due for replacement I'd like to get another set of wheels and do summer and winter tires. We don't consistently get a lot of snow in Chicago, so I'm leaning towards the Sottozeros on the Titanias. For the summers, I'd really like to go up to 19's but I think the chrome Venators would look great with the SGM, either way I'm thinking Michelin PS4s.

Once it's detailed, I will post some pictures.
I have had the Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06 on my 2009 V8 AWD and loved them. I got about 46K miles on them and used them all year long.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Chicago_UnCommon_Bricks’ S80

So after two days away at the spa for a full "showroom" detail I picked up the S80 in the middle of a passing shower yesterday morning. I would have delayed, but I had several tightly scheduled errands following pickup. Whatever, that's why they use wax, right. I knew I wanted to get this shot, so I suppose the rain is appropriate. On the way home I was briefly rolling up LSD (Lake Shore Drive to the outside world) in a Volvo convoy with a X90 T8 and a P1 C70

[edit: image hosting upgrade]

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
Welcome!
Titania look really good, but Fortuna are the one's I'd get. That grey looks so nice on your car!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

I've come to the conclusion that I like a more "static" wheel, so out of the P3s designs I'm down to the Fortuna and Venator with the Ymir as a wildcard.

I am also going to browse the P1 and P2 designs. My dad said he'd put their C70 on stands, so we could try the black and silver Midir on the S80. The bonus there is they are 45 offset, so it'd be like getting a free 10mm spacer.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Lookin’ good in the hood! Wizard Werks and Euro Auto Plex are both close to that location. I’m not sure why I’ve never stopped for a photo in that location. It is iconic (and visible from the Kennedy). Are you close?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lookin’ good in the hood! Wizard Werks and Euro Auto Plex are both close to that location. I’m not sure why I’ve never stopped for a photo in that location. It is iconic (and visible from the Kennedy). Are you close?
We’ve been in Rogers Park for five years now. The car was a Simon’s, and I had a few minutes before my next appointment. I thought I remembered reading a developer was going to tear down the Morton Building, so I didn’t want to miss my chance to get that shot. On the bright side, I googled it when I got home and it looks like they are preserving the sign after all, so either the plan was amended or I was conflating it with the Morton Headquarters on the river downtown, which is the site of the new BoA building.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice looking car man!

I know they're not for everybody, but I may have a set of 18" Minos wheels for sale soon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice looking car man!

I know they're not for everybody, but I may have a set of 18" Minos wheels for sale soon.

Thanks! I’ll keep an eye out for them. They might not be right for the S, but mom has an XC.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
The Titania's look good, and your S80 is very nice. I've been watching a 20" set of Titania's on eBay w/tires for the XC60 but more than I want to spend right now. Plus I'm not really fond of the way most wheels across many makes today have gone to clearcoated machine face w/black inners and drums. Guess I'm a little old school and like bright silver all the way and less spokes. Even the Ixion-type wheels on the newer SPA cars are like this, boring to me. I really like the Sleipners I put on my S80, sort of like a silver Ixion with twisted spoke.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m going back to work this week, so I drove the fam to the in-laws in Ohio, as breaking quarantine means a visit would be pushed into at least July. It’s the first serious drive with the S80, and it’s a very comfortable cruiser and averaged 28 mpg at 70+ mph nonstop arriving with enough left in the tank to get half way home.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
ISO: One Used Fortuna

Thanks to a heads-up from Chicago_Wagon that a P3 S80 had landed in a junkyard on the south side, my brother and I picked three light grey Fortunas. We also snagged a replacement for my missing 12v plug, and the plastic grilles from the cowl that I am about to cut to accommodate the r-design strut brace.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
To Glue or Not To Glue

[URL="[/URL]

Preparing the plastic grates in the cowl for the strut brace. This is the unmodified original next to the one I pulled at the junkyard which has been cut and fitted with a rubber grommet. To start, I have only made the bare minimum cutout in the grommet and will expand if necessary. The channel in the grommet fits over the ragged edges of the cut pretty well, but I am not sure if I should also add glue to the channel. Thoughts?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking at the 20% off Koni at TireRack, and wondering if I’m going to be able to do better than Yellows at $189 on struts and $106 on shocks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Looking at the 20% off Koni at TireRack, and wondering if I’m going to be able to do better than Yellows at $189 on struts and $106 on shocks.

Just placed and order for a set of these for the S80 plus a set for dad’s 2005 V70 2.5T. In addition to the 20% off I got 4.5 pts/$ on my card. His will go on right away because the V is getting dangerously sloppy, while mine are going on the shelf while I finish loading the parts cannon. I’ll get everything ready to go on for summer tire season 2021. I’m thinking at least lowering springs, and maybe the KC Designs front sway bar.

Suggestions?...also, any regularly scheduled sales (Viva, IPD, etc) I should be looking forward to in he coming months?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts