SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this topic made a brief guest appearance in my P3 S80 thread, I figured I’d give it a bit fuller treatment on the other side of the fwd-rwd divide...

Like me, my brother has not needed a car since college, and has gone about a decade without one. After picking up the C70, our parents decided it was time to get rid of the 960 and S90, and as they’d be pretty much giving them away I suggested they give one to my brother.

I wanted to get the 1995 960 back on the road, in part because being Savile Gray Metallic / Charcoal with and in-line six makes it the twenty years older version of my S80. Plus, it was the only new car my parents bought together, and they got it around the time I was leaning to drive and getting my license. Unfortunately, it’s just too far gone. It’s already got the trunk lid, front door cards, and driver’s seat from a totaled Cassis/Beige 960, there’s not insignificant structural rust, and that’s in addition to all the stuff you expect to see in a car with (EXACTLY) 310k miles.

So, we are going to focus on the 1998 Aqua Blue Metallic / Beige(?) S90 with approximately 240k miles. Our parents bought this one from the widow of the original owner with 70k on the odometer. Until recently, my dad was alternating this with the V70 as a daily driver, and it’s been on a charger since he stopped driving it regularly. The body is in pretty good shape, with just a busted clip on the right side of the front bumper, and a baseball-sized spot of surface rust on the lower rear panel of the trunk lid (same spot that had rusted on the 960).

The driver’s seat in the S90 was in pretty bad shape, and the fore/aft motor seemed to be out, so yesterday, we swapped the one from the 960, as it was in significantly better shape and actually matches the rest of the S90 interior. It was seized in the track, but it freed up enough to move with some help with a bit of WD40. I’m hoping it will free up more with regular use.

First Take On What Else is Needed:

Interior and Exterior Detail...it’s filthy!
Tires...needs two before we start getting bad weather
Dome Light...current one hangs due to broken clip
Windshield Trim...it’s got none, neither does the 960, ~$250 new, so hopefully we can find at a junkyard
Seatbelt(s)...Pretty grubby, but maybe can clean instead?
Horn...if we can get one cheap, otherwise who cares?
Steering Wheel...it’s tan and beat while the one in the 960 is black and in surprisingly good shape
Sunroof...it supposedly doesn’t open, so I’m hoping we can pull the necessary parts from the 960
Rack & Pinion...S90 doesn’t need one just yet, but the one on the 960 is basically brand new
Power Steering Pump...Same as the Rack
Trunk Lid...maybe prep rust and paint with touch up?...or we could always install he Cassis lid :whistle:

*I haven’t been able to find a sales brochure for the 1998 S90, so if anyone knows what Volvo called the color of the beige interior and wheels, please share.

[correction: the donor car mentioned above was Blackberry Pearl, not Cassis]

·
Registered
16,085 Posts
Wheels are called Mercurius

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheels are called Mercurius
Thanks, figured that part out, but I’m not sure about the color...I don’t think it looks quite Silver Bright.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what did you ended up doing w/ s90, nice color wife's 960 is gold color.
It’s licensed, insured, and back on the road with fresh rubber on the drive axle as of last week.

We are slowly cleaning it up, and have shop vac’ed the bulk of the debris out of all the channels and cavities, and ran it through the touchless automatic wash once to set a baseline before more meticulous detailing. Once we get it presentable I’ll get some more pictures posted.

We’ve go a running list of little stuff that needs to be addressed. Some can be resolved with parts off our 960, and we are hoping others can be pulled at a junkyard, but we’ll probably need to put a couple hundred into new parts once we have it running for a couple weeks.

We’ve got a “check engine light” to remedy as well. My brother pulled the codes at Autozone, and apparently it’s two issues with the gas cap and an oxygen sensor. It runs a bit rich on initial startup, and there’s a slight belt/pulley noise until the engine is warm.

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
Twice the number of Volvos as my driveway, but may be matching Jared or SB.
That looks like a fun project!

·
Registered
15,372 Posts
Too much P3 and RWD to be matching me!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On average cars aren’t nearly as free of everyday wear and tear either.

...more like bizzaro-world counterpart.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what did you ended up doing w/ s90, nice color wife's 960 is gold color.
We had a similar gold colored 745 when I was growing up, and it looked good even when it wasn’t pristinely clean.

I've never seen one that color. Really nice.

DEWFPO
My personal taste runs to a dark blue, gray, or silver car, but it’s not hard to appreciate all the great colors (including many pearled) they were doing back in the day.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

We’ve never had a P80, which aside from the first generation S40/V50 is the only gap all the way back to the Amazon. I guess we have a fwd bias.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I got a notice a 960 hit one of our local LKQs, so my dad and brother checked it out while I was at work. Apparently the car was in pretty bad shape, but they managed to pull a few small items for the 960, most importantly a dome light without broken tabs.

They did find that the 2005 S60 that has been on the lot for six weeks, somewhat miraculously still had one of it's Propuses (Propi?), which I thought would be gone the weekend the car arrived (and I could not get to the junkyard). Maybe if I'd given it a shot sooner, we'd have all four.

Unfortunately for my dad, someone had completely destroyed the headlight of that S60 just to take the bulbs.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Seventy and sunny is a gift for Chicago in November, and my brother took advantage by giving the S90 a basic two bucket wash. The body isn't going to win any awards, but its nothing to be embarrassed about, and he doesn't have to feel too guilty about street parking it. If he makes it thru the winter without any significant mechanical issues we will invest the time in a full clay bar and wax. I might even order an orbital and teach myself to do paint correction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts