1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've certainly seen worse. 16X,000m is up there tho. Depending on records it could be a great deal for someone... if they can handle the pure sexiness of dat gobi!

·
Registered
859 Posts
What dealership takes that many pictures, and none under the hood?
The slotted and drilled rotors make me wonder what may be lurking under the hood.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
this is a polished turd ready to take someone for a ride through their wallet. Those miles you are talking major work in many areas. $3k car tops.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Just curious what could make these cars such POS's with that high of mileage. Seems to me that only the trans/AWD system is the real money drain for these cars. Everything else is just as expensive on any higher end car.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
um, the 4C shocks all the way around, and all the bushings need to be replaced. AWD is almost certainly NOT working in this car, and like someone else said we have no idea what's lurking underneath the hood.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
IMO, those issues aren't deal breakers in general but yes, the 4c struts/shocks are the only thing more expensive than usual. I am not arguing for this car. Just against the fact that these cars will be unwanted with high mileage. I still think that the trans/AWD is the only major issue with the R's. The motors aren't complicated or hard to work on.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
deal breakers no, but price point negotiation tools? definitely. Unless it is a dealer that specializes in Volvos most dealers have no clue about the expensive wearables on these cars. A good PPI can reveal a lot of items that need to be replaced of wich you can ding the dealer with.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Fair enough. If that car were $3k+-, I would want to go see it and potentially want it just for parts.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Might be a turd, might be a gem. Won't know until you test drive it and run a scan with VIDA/DICE.
Also run a CARFAX that will tell you what Volvo dealer work has been done (or hasn't).

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
here is the carfax:

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=AVR_0&vin=YV1RH52Y142362570

brake pads/rotors replaced at 14k miles...that's scary. huge gap in maintenance then it shows up at Pep Boys for battery replacement....mmmm Pep Boys...that gives us some insight into the owner's maintenance mindset. then later on it had a front impact wreck and the owner decided to rid himself of it 5 months later (ruh roh) then the second owner got it and passed through no places that report maintenance work.

also I don't know how IL registration works, but it shows it was first registered as a corporate vehicle. That would indicate to me dealer demo. Might explain the brakes needing replaced at 14k...or maybe that's where those slotted rotors came from...take perfrectly good brakes off and put **** on lol

its a turd.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A big jump in mileage during that 05 to 08 jaunt. It averaged 52 miles PER DAY! It does make it a little better for accepting the mileage. Assuming the owner actually changed the oil.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
A big jump in mileage during that 05 to 08 jaunt. It averaged 52 miles PER DAY! It does make it a little better for accepting the mileage. Assuming the owner actually changed the oil.
the intervals for the oil changes that I could determine were ok intervals...but I can guarantee you that caR has seen no synthetic from the looks of the dealer and Pep Boys stops....but it has SLOTTED BRAKES lolz!

·
Registered
221 Posts
the intervals for the oil changes that I could determine were ok intervals...but I can guarantee you that caR has seen no synthetic from the looks of the dealer and Pep Boys stops....but it has SLOTTED BRAKES lolz!
Haha, 52 miles a day is EXACTLY what I drove to/from work. You are teh winner! And... Yes, it ran Royal Purple. (PS: This was my car)

When I sold it, it DID have Chassis Service Settings error AND the Alarm error, too. (the Chassis settings was due to the front wheel issue, I just opted to trade it in like that) Seems they fixed those. Drivers front suspension is all new, had full alignment after the wheel spun, all in all, it's probably in better shape/newer parts than when I bought it, I just wanted to get into something with a warranty. Those are (mostly) new DWS's all around, too, but, the driver's rear may be a little worn unevenly due to an alignment issue that was corrected when they did the 4 wheel. I'll be happy to meet up/go with anyone interested in scoping it out.

(edit/update)
PS: I traded it in, sight unseen, for 3k, and the rotors were me, the pads are upgrades, too. The motor is solid, the Volvo dealer told me that the angle gear had a "slight leak" but when I tried to fill it the last 3 times (at 2 month intervals) it was full. No leaks. Under the hood, there's no major upgrades. Phuzzy TCV, K&N filter, and a motor mount from IPD, I think. I bought it at 139ish? Was a single owner car, seemingly used for a traveling salesman/corporate type, from what I can tell. Car is/was very clean. ALL of the lubricating fluids in the car are Royal Purple. ATF, Motor, Angle gear, rear end, everything. Ohoh, and all the coils are under 15k miles, fyi. Plugs, too.

The only points of concern, I'd think, are that I'm pretty sure the previous dealer I bought it from did the timing belt, but, I'd check it before buying, the front shocks seem OK, dunno about the backs (I never swapped those, drivers front is NEW) and I dunno.. it's been a month and a half, I'd probably remember more in person with it. Almost forgot: It's got hail damage. Total quote to fix was 5100. I never fixed it. Instead used the money to work on suspension bits/brakes, etc. That was last summer. Hood was just repainted/blended, Bumper/drivers quarter are both NEW.

Side note: The peg they took a pic of is NEW (like under 1k miles on it) from the wheel getting spun. Knowing what I know of the car, I can sure help someone get into a deal on it. =)

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
so the brake pad/rotor changes were not you because you were the second owner...hrmm.

·
Registered
221 Posts
so the brake pad/rotor changes were not you because you were the second owner...hrmm.
Nope, dunno why they did it. I should have some records, still... not sure how much. As far as the accident on the record, it was a minor bump on the passenger front, (wasn't me, though) and cracked the paint on the bumper, which is now new. Beyond that, it was no worse for wear for that hit. I think they mentioned something about the plastic bit under the bumper in the middle being cracked? Some guy backed into it pretty good with a tow hitch once, but, that was also mostly cosmetic to the old bumper. But I found that out the day I traded it in, so, I wasn't really thinking about it. I can get you in contact with the mechanics who did most/all the work on it when it was in my possession, should anyone need.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
it has a prancing moose, conti dws, and slotted rotors. One of the previous owners has been here before.

something looks off with the exhaust and rear bumper, imo

·
Registered
221 Posts
it has a prancing moose, conti dws, and slotted rotors. One of the previous owners has been here before.

something looks off with the exhaust and rear bumper, imo
Exhaust, not that I know of... Rear bumper: The tow hook cover is missing, and the car took a minor hit to it last August or so.. was like a 5mph hit, maybe (and I emphasize the maybe.. didn't even spill my drink). It was light enough that you can see a small marking from the numbers on her plate. Beyond that, the plastic is zebra striped from age.

I have another moose or two, too. =D

Edit-

Actually, the outer muffler lining is/was rusted/breaking off, now that I think about it... The inner (aluminum) lining is OK, though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts