SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

From jalopnik:

You may know that VAG makes a 2.5-liter five cylinder for the Jetta and base Golf. That engine is widely considered to be a noisy, underpowered, inefficient dud, and is set to be dropped (see what I'm talking about?) in favor of a smaller turbo four. But thanks to some heavy re-working by the mad scientists at Quattro GmbH, this turd gets polished into a weapon of mass destruction.

Audi's 2.5 TFSI Is Five Cylinders Of AwesomeAudi helps us break down why it's so great, starting with the cylinder block. Because of its short overall length, it works well in transverse applications. The block itself is made of high tensile vermicular-graphite cast iron, which means it is both light in weight and able to withstand incredible stress.

The cylinder head is similar to the 2.5-liter VW engine, but here it has been thoroughly modified to provide more durability. Changes include a different aluminum casting alloy, sodium-filled exhaust valves for better cooling and a new intake port.

Other additions include direct injection, a new engine management system, an intercooler and a K16 Borg-Warner turbo good for up to 17.4 psi.

With these goodies, the 2.5 TFSI prdouced 360 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 343 lb-ft of torque between 1,650 and 5,400 rpm in TT RS form — enough to shoot that car from 0 to 60 mph in a mere 4.1 seconds. In the RS3 Sportback (which really should be sold in America, Audi) the engine has 340 horsepower and 331 lb-ft of torque; that hatch will do 0 to 60 in 4.6 seconds. Pretty incredible for a car that only displaces two-and-a-half liters.

Check out this video with the sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PsJ7rHaNLco

If the engine layout is the same.. I wonder if it will have something similar to our bevel gear.. maybe something compatible to our R's weak link.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Audi has been doing AWD in a transverse layout for a good while now, in a much more successful (read: reliable) implementation.

Just some more fun info - the 2.5L head (heck, that whole NA 2.5L dud) is half a Lamborghini V10 motor. VAG saved $ on development by using a lot of the R&D that was put into the Lambo motor. This new design is probably just more trickle-down from the supercar (or will be trickled up, I haven't followed all of this in a while).

A fun motor, nonetheless, and not the first time Audi has thrown a potent turbo-5 into their lineup.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
K16 as the Focus RS ....nice !

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I REALLY want a car with this motor, but the TT's just not for me. RS3 perhaps? I can dream...

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
So what cars are getting this and will they be in the US? Do want.
The TT-RS is already here (I've seen one at the local Cars and Coffee event).

Transverse-engine Audi's use Haldex just like Volvo... but yeah they probably have a properly strong "angle gear".

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The TT-RS is already here (I've seen one at the local Cars and Coffee event).

Transverse-engine Audi's use Haldex just like Volvo... but yeah they probably have a properly strong "angle gear".
well if they're able to run 600hp through the trans then I think maybe it would be worth to see if theres anything there we can use.. I don't always want to be paranoid about my angle gear.. I want to enjoy my car.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Sad they don't sell the RS3 here...
Sadly, they don't sell the REAL TT-RS here either.

We get the watered-down, de-tuned version.

Yay.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wish they would sell the es3 in the us. Shoot even a S3 would be sweet with a manual trans and awd oh and 4c chassis! Lol

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Sadly, they don't sell the REAL TT-RS here either.

We get the watered-down, de-tuned version.

Yay.
The US spec TT-RS has the same HP as Euro and comes with a 6-speed manual with clutch. All we're missing is the recaro seats and the DSG transmission with launch control system option.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
interesting how the downpipe splits into 2 with 2 flex pipes, 2 cats, 2 resonators and merges again before the rear Haldex, then splits again at the muffler. What the heck is the point?

I'm more interested in seeing the underside of this image.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
i googled around and found this transfer case a.k.a Angle Gear.

Surprisingly similar setup, and looks like they are using a splined approach as well that mates to the transmission.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts