SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way I can check the PCV system other than the glove method? I want to actually look at one of the pipes and see if there's any buildup. The glove is getting sucked in though. I've been debating whether I should SeaFoam the car, I read that it helps A TON.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can you please explain how Seafoam will help your PCV?

The seafoam will do absolutely nothing for your PCV, If its clogged you need to remove the parts and manually clean or replace them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If the glove is being sucked in you have NEGATIVE PCV pressure. Go and buy a good bottle of wine and enjoy your time off from the car. You CAN do that right?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
The glove being sucked in is an indicator that the long tube that runs to the turbo inlet is clogged. Only choice besides replacing it is trying to clean it out.
I thought the glove being sucked in is a good thing. I thought it's when the glove blows up giving you a high five is when it's clogged

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The glove being sucked in is an indicator that the long tube that runs to the turbo inlet is clogged. Only choice besides replacing it is trying to clean it out.
So you're telling me that this entire time I misunderstood the PCV test? ****. Yeah it is being sucked in. I watched RobertDIY's video on how to check your PCV a while ago. I guess he doesn't quite explain the test properly in the video either. He says if it's getting sucked in or if it's just sitting there, means it's good to go. Thanks Robert.
Can you please explain how Seafoam will help your PCV?

The seafoam will do absolutely nothing for your PCV, If its clogged you need to remove the parts and manually clean or replace them.
And no, I'm not doing SeaFoam to clean the PCV, I didn't even say that. If you read the first post again properly you'll understand what I'm asking.

I thought the glove being sucked in is a good thing. I thought it's when the glove blows up giving you a high five is when it's clogged
Exactly what I thought. ****ing have a clogged PCV now, or well...had. and I've been beating on the car this summer with a clocked PCV. No wonder my oil gets dirty quick (if that's the cause)

If the glove is being sucked in you have NEGATIVE PCV pressure. Go and buy a good bottle of wine and enjoy your time off from the car. You CAN do that right?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Sorry I don't drink.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
You don't want the glove blowing up OR getting sucked in. Blowing up shows both the PCV valve is clogged as well as the tube, but if it actually tries to suck into the filler hole that's a sign that the PCV valve is working, but that the vent tube isn't letting air in like it should.

Besides the oil separator box the PCV system is nothing more than a vacuum valve from the box to the intake manifold and another vent tube to atmospheric pressure via the intake tube in front of the turbo. Both of these need to be clear, and the glove being pretty limp is what you want, not any sucking or blowing up.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
PS - Just to clarify, a little deflating and pulling in of the glove is ok, but if it looks like the filler hole wants to suck the whole glove in that's the warning sign of a clogged vent tube.

The following is a good example . . .

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't want the glove blowing up OR getting sucked in. Blowing up shows both the PCV valve is clogged as well as the tube, but if it actually tries to suck into the filler hole that's a sign that the PCV valve is working, but that the vent tube isn't letting air in like it should.

Besides the oil separator box the PCV system is nothing more than a vacuum valve from the box to the intake manifold and another vent tube to atmospheric pressure via the intake tube in front of the turbo. Both of these need to be clear, and the glove being pretty limp is what you want, not any sucking or blowing up.
PS - Just to clarify, a little deflating and pulling in of the glove is ok, but if it looks like the filler hole wants to suck the whole glove in that's the warning sign of a clogged vent tube.
Thanks man. So like this? Took this yesterday.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
^needs replaced or at the least cleaned

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Yeah, that is sucking too hard, long tube to the pre-turbo has to be clogged for that kind of pull. At least you might be able to clean it out instead of buying another since that's one of the most expensive parts of the system.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, that is sucking too hard, long tube to the pre-turbo has to be clogged for that kind of pull. At least you might be able to clean it out instead of buying another since that's one of the most expensive parts of the system.
Is there a diagram somewhere or a guide so I can learn more on how to do this? And where is that long tube located? Is it easily accessible? If it is, i'll might take it out today and check.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Is there a diagram somewhere or a guide so I can learn more on how to do this? And where is that long tube located? Is it easily accessible? If it is, i'll might take it out today and check.
I did mine last week. The glove used to get blown up now it gets sucked in slightly.

Remove intake box-- remove radiator fan-- remove throttle body (disconnect first)-- remove banjo bolt on back left side of intake manifold (17mm)-- remove hoses from ptc (on preturbo intake) along with coolant hose (near the preturbo intake), disconnect hose from box, and lastly the hose on thermostat housing that banjo bolt is connected to.

The little tube that connects the banjo bolt and actual pipe probably is clogged up. For me I just sprayed carb clean until it went clean and I can blow through without problem

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good to me. Also try revving it in idle, should suck in more, if it blows up then you have a clogged boost circuit.

Maybe you guys know something i don't, but I've not heard of too much vacuum being an issue.
Check the video I posted above.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
The problem is when the long tube is clogged is that under boost the PCV valve closes and the crankcase needs to vent through the tube to the turbo intake or you run the risk of blowing out your seals.

Seems so many people focus on the glove not blowing up that they forget that you don't want the PCV valve creating a vacuum in the crankcase either since that can suck **** in through your seals. The purpose of the PCV valve in the system is to ventilate the crankcase when engine vacuum is available, not turn your crankcase into a low pressure system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The problem is when the long tubeis clogged is that under boost the PCV valve closes and the crankcase needs to vent through the tube to the turbo intake or you run the risk of blowing out your seals.

Seems so many people focus on the glove not blowing up that they forget that you don't want the PCV valve creating a vacuum in the crankcase either since that can suck **** in through your seals. The purpose of the PCV valve in the system is to ventilate the crankcase when engine vacuum is available, not turn your crankcase into a low pressure system.
So what is the best way to tell if your system needs servicing

1 - 20 of 36 Posts