SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my check engine light came on. its been very hot in washington over 100<br>i checked the belts oil and i cant find any leaking what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light (VoLvOs70wa)

CEL could be anything. You can get a generic obd2 code reader that will point you in the right direction and a dealer will be able to pinpoint the problem better.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light (VoLvOs70wa)

A generic code reader will cost you around $100 at WalMart, which is about the same price as the dealer would charge you to read and re-set the CEL. Once you have the code (or codes- could be more than one) then you can do some searches to see what the likely causes are. There are a handful of common fault codes that have plenty written about them on this site or others like volvospeed or matthew's volvo site.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Re: (VoLvOs70wa)

Could just re-set the light and see if it comes back- also check the gas cap. I had a large evap leak on mine and replaced the gas cap and it hasn't come back. There are various hoses in the evap system, one of which may have a leak also.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do I turn off the check engine light?<p>ive replaced the gas cap and looked at the hoses and the light is still on does this still mean that there is a leak

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

You need to find someone with a code reader to reset it, then see if it comes back.<br>An evap leak can take a few start cycles to come back if it's not fully repaired

·
Registered
13,968 Posts

If the code was erased and came back on, then it wasn't the gas cap or perhaps the new code is something else. Do an internet search for the code and see what else could be causing it. I know there is a j-hose that is sometimes damaged or perhaps one of the hoses leading to the evap cannister, either under the hood or toward the rear of the car just in front of the passenger side rear wheel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts