SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've had my car exactly 2 years, love it..... but... last week it went in for it's 22,500 maint. no problems, drove 800 miles to KY, had a great weekend family gathering, turned car on for the return (12 hour) trip on Sunday morning and the check engine light came on..What to do?? Drove all the way home on pins and needles, realizing this wasn't a great decision. The car sounded and acted normally except that it was a bit rough on start up. So Volvo just called to let me know the intake valves need to be replaced and that it will take a few days. Has anyone else needed this repair? What causes the problem? Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light- replace intake valves? (SapphireGal)

Quote, originally posted by SapphireGal »
What causes the problem? Any insight is appreciated.
There are a few things that could cause the intake valves to have to be replaced, but none of them are good. Based on the limited information provided, my first guess would be a lubrication failure. If there was indeed a lubrication failure, then the next logical question is what else (other valve train components for starters) was put at risk by the lubrication failure? Presumably the repair is covered under warranty? When you get the car back, ask what caused the intake valves to need to be replaced. It would be nice if any on-board diagnostic codes were listed on the repair order; that way, if other damage has occurred, you have some objective proof that further work may be required beyond the replacement of the intake valves.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
550 Posts

800 miles with the wrong oil level might do this. I always check the oil level after getting a service. No simpler way for the mechanic to destroy your engine....

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light- replace intake valves? (avolvofan)

If it was lubrication, then all the valve train would need to be replaced. Also, the bearings on the bottom would probably be toasted too... Turbo would take that metal and get wiped out too...

Get the real answer...

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light- replace intake valves? (dmd)

Quote, originally posted by dmd »
If it was lubrication, then all the valve train would need to be replaced. Also, the bearings on the bottom would probably be toasted too... Turbo would take that metal and get wiped out too...

Get the real answer.... [Emphasis added.]
Exactly. Valves don't fail on their own; they need serious help to fail. There will be collateral damage from the serious help that caused the valves to fail.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light- replace intake valves? (safetyfirst)

Quote, originally posted by safetyfirst »
800 miles with the wrong oil level might do this. I always check the oil level after getting a service. No simpler way for the mechanic to destroy your engine....

Yes, but. . . there would be a whole lot of other damage from low oil. It may be a problem with only the oil feed to the valve train. It may have also been a poorly sized valve guide reamer on the assembly line, leaving the valves too tight in their bushings. Definitely something to ask about. I'd want to have the problem stated on the repair paperwork, as well as the fix.

The really odd thing though, is that modern vehicles use brass/bronze valve bushings and oil caps to greatly limit the oil which gets to the valve stem, so oil deprevation would have to be so severe that the rest of the engine should have been scored beyond running condition to allow the valve to be damaged by under oiling.

My Triumph TR3 uses cast iron valve guides. They need lots of oil to live as the steel valve stem slides on a cast iron guide. They only get a dribble of oil, yet are very durable, so my money says it was not oil starvation.

Please do pursue the dealer to get the failure mode details and keep us informed.

Jack

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SapphireGal »
So Volvo just called to let me know the intake valves need to be replaced and that it will take a few days. Has anyone else needed this repair? What causes the problem? Any insight is appreciated.

That looks like TNN21-21: http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html

Apparently a manufacturing or original valve part issue, and it sounds like your dealer is on it. I wouldn't worry about it coming back after this fix.

Tom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Check Engine Light- replace intake valves? (tmtalpey)

tmtalpey,...you get the prize. The fix required a total (10) valve replacement. The explanation varied depending who I talked to. Either wrong size valves installed at build, or faulty manufactured valves. At any rate my car fell in the VIN range referred to in the service tech bulletin you sited. Thank goodness I didn't have to pay for this repair. Service tech said only three of the valves where visibly damaged but as per the bulletin, all must be replaced.

Modified by SapphireGal at 9:14 AM 3-29-2006

·
Registered
175 Posts

Wow, I had a similar situation a few years back with our Subaru. If I'm reading correctly this is a faulty part, not something that will have long term impact on the valvetrain?

That extended warranty is looking more appealing everyday.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Re: (Shimon)

The valve face has to fit the valve seat. The valve seat (part of the cylinder head) is cooled by the engine coolant. It is important that the valve face mate with the seat - so the heat can be taken away from the valve, to the cylinder head.

If this does not happen the valve overheats, and usually develops a small crack or 'V' shaped crack. This crack causes the combustion chamber to leak, thus lowering compression, and power.

It's my guess the valve stem was too long or the specifications for the angle of the valve face/seat were mismatched, or the diameter was incorrect.

Modified by doug b at 2:32 AM 4-15-2006

Modified by doug b at 2:39 AM 4-15-2006

1 - 13 of 13 Posts