SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 v70xc…possibly 3rd owner. CEL has surfaced several times in past three months. mechanic runs codes and states mis-firing, resets and it eventually happens again. when we bought it mechanic had just replaced plugs, wires, cap, etc. (?) but has since found out the previous owner had ran out of oil while on a long road trip cross-country (literally, not just model) which could explain other issue we're having with it burning so much oil (1-2 litres every couple tanks of fuel). i don't know if that could be a factor for the cel but i have noticed it comes on while driving up inclines (blinks then steadies and repeats at next occurrence). last week road trip was a constant 9 hours with only one occurrence, todays trip was only 4-5 hours occurring 5x. it almost feels like i put it through a stress test today, fortunately it passed as we made it to our destination, but i am now more concerned for its health. anyone with previous experience or suggestions, your input is greatly appreciated.

98 volvo v70xc
91 ford e350 shuttle bus
72 vw bug
above are daily drivers
& 3 vw type3 parts cars
94 mazda b4000

·
Registered
637 Posts
If it was run out of oil the cylinder walls might have been damaged, which would explain the heavy oil consumption if it's not leaking. Sustained misfiring (which is what's happening when the check engine light blinks) is extremely bad for the engine and if you keep allowing it to happen it'll eventually take a chunk out of one or more of the exhaust valves and/or damage the catalytic converter. The light blinks on hills because the engine is under greater load. Are you using premium fuel? If not that could be contributing to the misfire. Were the ignition parts replaced with quality brands?

I'd have your mechanic run a compression test (or DIY) and see what that returns-it'll give you a clearer picture of the health of the engine. You want to see compression figures within +/-10% of each other and ideally over 180PSI.

Sadly, it sounds like your car was neglected a lot by the previous owners and I'd keep my expectations low regarding its longevity.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If it's definitely burning and not leaking, that can cause your misfire, and there is no fix but to repair the internals of the engine. Even Jesus cannot heal it. Well he could, but probably won't. Lowest cost solution is to just swap in a used engine that is known to have good compression. What part of the country are you in? VandS auto dismantlers on the west coast, and Erie Vo-Vo on the east coast are both reputable scrap yards that sell used engines, tested with a warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts