SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CEL came on Saturday afternoon (with my daughter a good distance from home at a soccer tournament). First thought was oil, then coolant then gas cap. Oil and coolant checked out ok, but gas cap was loose, like falling off loose. Wow, how did that happen. So, tightened it back up, drove home and then had some other things going Sunday. Now, here we are Monday--will the CEL reset with the problem corrected? Perhaps I need to refill my tank? Wait a certain time period? Or, am I destined to have to make a trip to the dealer?

On a related note--when did you all do your first oil change? I just hit 3500 miles over the weekend--perhaps the CEL has something to do with that?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Check Engine Light--Loose Gas Cap? (weatherman)

You will need to get it reset. It will not reset itself. There is a specific error code for the fuel tank vapor pressure system. I can not remember it off the top of my head. If it is that code make sure you mention the loose cap otherwise they will start looking for gas vapor leaks! The engine control unit checks the fuel tank system for a certain pressure level. If the gas cap is loose, it will cause a reduction in the pressure level similar to a gas vapor leak (an EPA no-no!) and the check engine light will come on.

·
Registered
220 Posts

Did you ever find out when to do the first oil change?

I started getting a message "time for maintenance"; then the message said, "You have 1 personal message"; now it got kind of annoying saying, "Maintenance overdue!" I asked Volvo service if they could just turn off the message for a month or so until I put a little more mileage on and they said no.

I have the C70 1 year as of last week. I have 1350 miles. I was told I need a 1 year maintenance that takes about 1 hour to do, a free first service from Volvo. What can they possibly do at this low mileage? They said they need to change the oil! Is that true? Isn't there break-in oil in there? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update and Answers (maybe?)

As for the check engine light--I called and asked. Was told that on the new body style C70 that the CEL will reset if the condition causing the issue is eliminated, but could take up to 25 drive cycles. A drive cycle is not equal to start/stop the engine without driving. So, I stuck with it for a few days, took a few extra trips here/there and indeed, the light is now gone. (Did, however, check oil, coolant etc!)

As for timing on oil change, I didn't ask when I called (forgot)
I recall on my Audi that the first oil change was something like that--9-12 months. Even though you have low miles, I would get it done--you might have metal shavings or other left overs from build up, early break in etc floating around in there. Not to mention, fresh oil is always good!

More importantly, whats up with the low mileage? You need to get that car out and enjoy it more!!!! I thought I had low miles--just hit 3500 and have had the car since last October. I have managed to have the top down at least once in every month since owning it and thats even living in Kansas City!!! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Get out and enjoy, after your oil change.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: Update and Answers (weatherman)

I have an appointment scheduled to do the 1 yr checkup and oil change. I know on my VW Touareg I have synthetic oil and it's recommended to change oil every 10k miles...a bit too much mileage for me obviously. I do it every 3k miles, which equals 6 months for me. Working from home helps keep my mileage low!

I am so anxiously waiting to put the Touareg to rest for a few months.....if the weather ever straightens out here in NYC. It seems to be nice one day and then rains for the next 4 or 5. It's definitely not warm yet but that should change by Wednesday, I hope. However, it's set to rain the entire holiday weekend and into the first part of next week. Time for me to head West I think!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Re: Update and Answers (irbrenda)

From what I was told regarding my 2007 C70, the "service needed" light will light up if either 7500 miles has elapsed since the last service, OR, if 1 year has passed. It might not be exactly 1 year - I seem to recall some mention of a bit of buffer time, so perhaps it is more like 11 months.

My C70 gets pretty low usage - so it has been the "time" trigger for oil changes, rather than the miles trigger.

(The first time the service light came on it had been right around 11 months from when I picked up my car at the dealer (when it was new). But maybe it was counting 1 year from when it left the factory. At that first event it only had 2,000 miles on it. I can't recall when the second event occurred, whether it was the full 12 months after the first event, or another 11 months. But at that time the car still had less than 7k miles.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: Update and Answers (BlackC70)

Soooooo, I had my 1 yr maintenance done. Changed oil, did the usual topping off of fluids, etc.

My only complaint has been the clunking noise that I was not sure was coming from the roof or underneath the car....only when the top is up is it apparent.

They checked it out and it seems it's from underneath, just as I thought. THey think it's the strut. They definitely heard the noise on the driver side front. Said it needs a long service and will give me a loaner for 3 days. Ugh....is all I have to say. They said they could not find where the noise is coming from and they feel it's a defective part from Sweden! They did say everything seems tight underneath and they're basically clueless right now.

It rides fine and if I was deaf, I'd never hear the noise. Hence the reason I turn up the music! I'm thinking of leaving it be for now and having it serviced after the summer. It's been this way since last May. I knew this wasn't going to be an easy fix.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Even the best oils recommend changing around 12 months for various reasons.

The factory fill is a top notch synthetic (better than you can get at US volvo dealers), so there is not reason to hurry to change the oil any sooner than recommended by Volvo.

·
Registered
348 Posts

Depending on which model year, there was an issue with the CEL for the fuel vapor recovery system. I think all the affected model years should have received a letter by now stating the warranty for these components was extended due to the problem... Our CEL kept coming on even when everything was okay.

Their last fix seems to have corrected the problem permanently. Knock on Wood!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts