SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week amber light came on my 5 months old MY'19 T8 with 3800 miles on it. I took the first available appointment with the dealer which was 6 days away. But after two days, the light went off on it's own. I drove about 50 miles during those two days and didn't fill up the gas.

Should I take it to dealer for inspection or just wait and hope that it doesn't come back again?

Thanks

·
Registered
255 Posts
Last week amber light came on my 5 months old MY'19 T8 with 3800 miles on it. I took the first available appointment with the dealer which was 6 days away. But after two days, the light went off on it's own. I drove about 50 miles during those two days and didn't fill up the gas.

Should I take it to dealer for inspection or just wait and hope that it doesn't come back again?

Thanks
IIRC all historic codes should be stored in the vehicle system and dealer should be able to read it and see why CEL came on. I maybe wrong.

If my understanding is right, even if it's gone now, I would still get it checked and find out why it came in the first place just be on the safe side.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would have dealer check.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
If you're curious enough you could plug in an OBD2 reader to see if that shows any discernable errors. You just need to find a decent one on Amazon . . . Am I wrong in this case where the error has removed itself?

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
If you're curious enough you could plug in an OBD2 reader to see if that shows any discernable errors. You just need to find a decent one on Amazon . . . Am I wrong in this case where the error has removed itself?
Just don't clear them if you do that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I had an intermittent one that came and went but then stayed on. Turns out it was an issue with fuel filler flap. Took it in, then got that fixed and light came back on same day and it turned out to be O2 sensor. The lights don't really come on randomly so eventually it will come back.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My first Volvo turns out o2 sensor is issue adter 2 weeks. :(
Your emoji suggests disappointment. I've never had a problem-free new car. I expect that something will require attention and repair/replacement. I'm pleased when it's very few things.

·
Registered
155 Posts
CEL that goes off means the issue has "fixed" itself (bad 02 reading, loose gas cap). As others stated the code will be stored but if you're going to be paranoid, and want to know how urgent it is, I'd get an OBD reader as others have suggested. Flashing check engine lights are the ones to stop driving immediately.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Personally, I absolutely HATE taking my car to the dealer because they are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS severely overpriced. I don't limit my disgust to Volvo dealers either as I well remember our Infiniti dealer quoting me $135 for a ignition coilpack, the OEM equivalent (Hitachi, not cheap Chinese junk) I found online for only $10! Also, the dealer part had a one year warranty, while the Hitachi part had a lifetime warranty! Anyway, I digress. One of the best gifts I ever received was a FIXD unit. It's a small interface that plugs directly into your OBDII port and communicates with an app on your smartphone. You can program it for multiple vehicles, and if you change vehicles, you can overwrite your old one with your new one, so it's never obsolete. It has been invaluable in diagnosing check-engine lights. Most recently, my engine light came on and the FIXD app said it was the O2 sensor, which it couldn't have been because I had just replaced the O2 sensor two days before. The app went on to give me alternatives, one of which was a possible vacuum leak. Sure enough, I checked all the connections, tightened things up and no more engine light. I don't know that the service call would have been at the dealer, but I'm sure it would be more than the $60 cost of the FIXD unit. Mine was a gift, but had I known how useful it was, I would have been happy to pay the $60 they cost. The last time I had my dealer diagnose something, they charged me $75, so it will pay for itself the first time.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Personally, I absolutely HATE taking my car to the dealer because they are ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS severely overpriced. I don't limit my disgust to Volvo dealers either as I well remember our Infiniti dealer quoting me $135 for a ignition coilpack, the OEM equivalent (Hitachi, not cheap Chinese junk) I found online for only $10! Also, the dealer part had a one year warranty, while the Hitachi part had a lifetime warranty! Anyway, I digress. One of the best gifts I ever received was a FIXD unit. It's a small interface that plugs directly into your OBDII port and communicates with an app on your smartphone. You can program it for multiple vehicles, and if you change vehicles, you can overwrite your old one with your new one, so it's never obsolete. It has been invaluable in diagnosing check-engine lights. Most recently, my engine light came on and the FIXD app said it was the O2 sensor, which it couldn't have been because I had just replaced the O2 sensor two days before. The app went on to give me alternatives, one of which was a possible vacuum leak. Sure enough, I checked all the connections, tightened things up and no more engine light. I don't know that the service call would have been at the dealer, but I'm sure it would be more than the $60 cost of the FIXD unit. Mine was a gift, but had I known how useful it was, I would have been happy to pay the $60 they cost. The last time I had my dealer diagnose something, they charged me $75, so it will pay for itself the first time.
Interesting. Does it work for the SPA? Link?

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Time to derail this thread too.

Volvo parts installed at a dealer have a lifetime warranty. So conparing it to an experience at Infiniti is irrelevant.

And yes, diagnosis does have a cost. People need to be paid for their work.

None of this matters since this thread is about a car still under warranty.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Volvo parts installed at a dealer have a lifetime warranty. So conparing it to an experience at Infiniti is irrelevant.

Who said people don’t need to be paid for their work. His point is, people get gouged in the service department! Over paying for parts and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cheapest Option is to pop into the local Auto-zone, Advance, et al, and ask them to READ but NOT RESET the stored codes. Most of them will do so for no charge.

Consider buying an OBDII unit. They can be had really cheap, ~$35 or so, although you do get what you pay for. The auto parts store you visit will likely have several, and Harbour Freight stocks a range of them.....

Finally, this is the reason to own a DICE unit and to get the ViDA software up and running on an old laptop as you will get a much more informative reading out of it. The DICE unit should run you around $100 from either EPay or Amazon, and there is a thread in here discussing the software options. Personally, I have both as the OBDII works on nearly anything made after 1997.

Cheers...

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Cheapest Option is to pop into the local Auto-zone, Advance, et al, and ask them to READ but NOT RESET the stored codes. Most of them will do so for no charge.

Consider buying an OBDII unit. They can be had really cheap, ~$35 or so, although you do get what you pay for. The auto parts store you visit will likely have several, and Harbour Freight stocks a range of them.....

Finally, this is the reason to own a DICE unit and to get the ViDA software up and running on an old laptop as you will get a much more informative reading out of it. The DICE unit should run you around $100 from either EPay or Amazon, and there is a thread in here discussing the software options. Personally, I have both as the OBDII works on nearly anything made after 1997.

Cheers...
Current OBDII reader or VIDA adapter probably can't read all SPA error codes. The OBDII-Ethernet cable and 3-day VIDA subscription could do the work but it is $75 for the subscription.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,575 Posts

Who said people don’t need to be paid for their work. His point is, people get gouged in the service department! Over paying for parts and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$75 to diagnose something is hardly gouging.

Cheers...
Cheapest option is to take it to a dealer. It's under warranty. And while DiCE can communicate with the SPA cars, it's slow and if you are using it with one of the hacked versions that go up to 2014, that won't do much good for someone with a SPA XC90.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OP here. Took it to the dealer today. They are going to replace the ERAD thermostat because there is a recall on it. Also, they said that check engine light was because of the ERAD. I'll pickup the car on Friday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts