SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just wondering what happens when the check engine light turns on a T5 or R. Some say that the ECU then lowers the boost to protect the engine. Is this always the case??? Or is it error code dependant what the ECU does (if anything)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay,

after asking around and getting many different opinions, these were the most popular ones:

The light is most often related to emissions problems. Malfunctiong cat, etc... When this is the case, only thing that happens is that the check engine light turns on. Nothing else. (This goes also with the gas cap thingy already discussed here in the previous posts.)

And when the car goes into limp home mode, boost and rev limiter are dropped drastically by using another ECU program. You can't use more than a few gears in your auto tranny. And the check engine light will light up to tell you there's a problem with your car. This is the case whenever a fault is detected e.g. in the tranny.

--edit-- Please correct me if I'm wrong!! --edit--

My check engine light has been on for ages... The error code is always the same, a malfunctiong catalytic converter. I've already had my cat replaced with a new Ferrita racing cat. And while my warning light is on, the boost is still at normal level. Has anyone had similar problems?

BTW, had my tranny replaced. Hope the new one lasts until I get my next car...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts