SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: (imageomega)

Our 17" Pegasus wheels are still $184.41 each.

Both 18" Pegasus (Silver Bright and Anthracite/Titanium) are a dissapointing $357.17 each.

Purchase a set of four alloy wheels from a US Volvo dealer before September 30, 2009 and you'll qualify for a $200.00 mail-in rebate from Volvo. Here's a PDF of the rebate coupon:

http://www.bostonvolvo.com/use...s.pdf

John

Modified by Parts @ Boston Volvo at 8:08 AM 6-24-2009

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been a while since I frequented these forums so I forget who BVV is?

Oh... I see a banner up top... Boston Volvo Village. Duh.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Re: (Parts @ Boston Volvo)

Quote, originally posted by Parts @ Boston Volvo »
O
Both 18" Pegasus (Silver Bright and Anthracite/Titanium) are a dissapointing $357.17 each.

wow...that is a lot of moola.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess I have some decisions to make. I've got some scrapes from not being careful parallel parking. They are not very noticeable once touched up. But the other day I turned to back out of an end parking spot quickly and was too close to the curb and put a good scrape (close to 1/4 of the wheel). Again touch up will greatly help but after over 3 years of having the car I've got to decide:

1) Trade the car in on something new this fall (maybe G37 X-S) where the dealer isn't going to be too picky about the wheels and live with it until then. (Only thing I hate about the G37X-S is no rear folding seats so I can get my bike in the trunk! - 335xi is overpriced in my opinion - but that's another thread)

2) Take it to my local wheel repair guy who will charge me probably about $400-$500 to repair and repaint all 4 wheels. He does a good job, used in for my Acura years ago.

3) Get two new wheels. The other two the scrapes are minor enough that a brand new wheel would be overkill IMHO. Let's assume I can find them for $700 for the pair including shipping somewhere.

4) Decide to keep the car at least another year or two and rejuvenate it with 4 new wheels. There's a guy selling them on E-bay for $1149 with Make and Offer, $125 shipping, and I got an 8% off coupon - think I can double that using Bing Cashback for 16% off less $200 Volo Rebate. Assuming I can at least get the price to $1150 including the shipping that would be $1150 - $185 (16% discount) - $200 = $765 for a set of 4! Gee, that axes option 3. Heck, having 4 brand new wheels will increase the resale value a little, maybe not $765, say $250 (which is VERY conservative as the scraped wheels are the only thing damaged on the car) and no hassle of leaving the car at the wheel repair guys place for a few days, now that I've run the number, seems like a no brainer, duh.

Of course the next question is, are there some lighter 18" wheels that look good that don't cost much more I should be considering, but if I recall, previous discussions here seemed to end up saying that there were little or no options for other 18's with the correct geometry or they were more expensive?

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
IPD replica Pegs?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Re: (QnsMostWanted)

Quote, originally posted by QnsMostWanted »

wow...that is a lot of moola.

as one who have boughten 4 (not as a set) in the last year. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

gotta love the trucks/salt/ melt & freeze cycle...

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Re: (GiRaff3)

tascavolvoparts.com or Daryl Waltrip Volvo (You need to call for quote.)

Tasca Volvo Online prices:
18" Pegs = $270.61
17" Pegs = $165.68

If you call Tasca, ask for Anthony or Tony.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Forgot to mention I could probably sell the old wheels for close to $100 each since they aren't bent. Just curb rash!

What's the geometry and weight on the Pegasus' ? I know there are 18x8. I see IPD is selling some very inexpensive replicas! Are these any good? Are they lighter than stock?

http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S6...-4831/

$160 X 4 = $640, no tax and they are only 2.5 hours away from me so shipping would be cheap or maybe I could just drive down and have them put them on for me! If they are lighter than stock, BONUS.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One downside on the IPD replicas though may be no touch up paint to match like you can get for stock? They say they have some special mult-coat finish that changes colors. Would have to be very careful. I was with my current ones but after over 3 years, you are going to screw up once in a while. Hmm....

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Re: (jazee)

I may be coerced into selling my 18" w/ General Exclaim UHP for concerns that ohio is not doing much to improve its pothole situation either.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re:

Did someone really say "boughten"?

Anyway, among the 4 options that Jazee listed...

1) Trade-in is a separate issue. Don't spend $700 on rims to improve your trade-in value. That's a money loser right off the bat.

2) If your local repair guy will repair them and repaint all 4 for $4-500 then why go with option #2 or #3?

3) Why buy two 2 wheels for $700+ when you can have the 2 damaged ones fixed and all 4 brought back to life for $200+ less?

4) See comment 3...except instead of 2 wheels for $700 you're talking about 4 wheels for even more. The only reason option 4 makes sense is if you plan on keeping your R for a while and just want a new set of rims (that aren't Pegs) for it.

-Eric

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1) I'm thinking private party resale value, not trade-in and private party WILL be concerned about condition of the rims.

2) The repair guy is a hassle. $500 and leaving the car with him for a couple days seems like a pain and after all that they will be repaired - not new.

3) Yes, option 3 is out.

4) $640 for 4 new IPD replicas is sounding like the way to go. Just still wondering if I'll be happy going from Anthracite to Hyper Black and what the touch up situation will be (waiting to hear back from IPD on that)

I searched some past threads about wheels I didn't see any 18" wheels that I liked. Plus I don't want to have to put bigger spacers on. I've got TME springs and already have 5mm spacers to eliminate 99% of rubbing except when full locked on the steering. Plus I doubt any other wheels will cost less than the replicas. IPD was very smart to get those rims, addressing the unreasonably high cost of stock wheels.

Modified by jazee at 10:03 AM 6-24-2009

Modified by jazee at 10:03 AM 6-24-2009

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Cheapest Source for Pegs? (jazee)

I just bought a new set of 18" Pegs from My Swedish Parts on eBay for $960, and the $200 rebate will take that down to $760, or $190 a wheel (+shipping). They have more of these auctions listed - happy bidding!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Cheapest Source for Pegs? (Lookrider)

It might be worth paying $120 for the real rims and not have to worry about not having touch up paint that doesn't match. Considering I could probably get at least $75 a wheel for the old ones, looking at a net cost of $460 for 4 new wheels. If the IPD ones were a lot lighter, I'd go for those, but having a funky, non-stock color on the wheels may hurt private party resale value instead of help it. I could see a potential buyer asking, I've never seen that color. Oh, those are replica rims, not "REAL" R rims.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Re: Cheapest Source for Pegs? (jazee)

Quote, originally posted by jazee »
I could see a potential buyer asking, I've never seen that color. Oh, those are replica rims, not "REAL" R rims.

I think you would be just fine if you answer the question like this....

Oh, those are the lighter IPD replica rims for the R that I got to enhance the preformance of the caR and maintain the factory look. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

And If I had the cash I would buy your Pegs off of you. Infact I would even pick them up from you in Seattle. But I don't

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: (jazee)

1) I'm thinking private party resale value, not trade-in and private party WILL be concerned about condition of the rims.

Price your car $1K higher than you were planning and tell the buyer you'll cut the price by $1K to cover the damage to the rims.

2) The repair guy is a hassle. $500 and leaving the car with him for a couple days seems like a pain and after all that they will be repaired - not new.

If you're planning on selling the car soon, who cares if they're not new? Besides, unless you're afraid of losing points at a car show, who (other than you) would know they were repaired (assuming it's done properly)?

For whatever stupid reason that I can't articulate, I also prefer the originals to the replicas. If I was looking for an original-look track rim though I'd definitely go with the ipd replicas. $640 is a great deal for a set of 4. Is that the shipped price?

-Eric

1 - 20 of 20 Posts