SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel pressure sensor on my 2005 R started going on the blink during my vacation last week when ambient temps were high (felt like a coil going out, but fortunately I had my DICE reader to set me straight). The cheapskate in me hated the $250 quote I got from a Volvo dealer, so I called around. It turns out that you can buy a replacement Bosch sensor ($76 plus any shipping costs) from Autozone or NAPA. I bought mine at NAPA since there was a location close to my vacation spot, and it works perfectly after more than 1000 miles of hard driving in 100 degree ambient temps.

The only obvious difference from the original part is that the original sensor has an extra hole to help suspend the wiring harness, but a zip tie can accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
One thing I've noticed with bosch(a few of their products work with different vehicles) is that their generic products are manufactured to lower specs than when made for car companies(Volvo/rover/ others). Just beware, it's not the same product. I replaced mine with the Rover FPS, and while it has worked, it isn't to be relied on as the Volvo part

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just did mine. $112 at Kragen (It was still a Bosch), Special Order, took a week to get it, but better than $250 at Fresno Volvo.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I do see that both the Bosch part # (0261230239) and the Volvo part # (31272732) on the Napa part are different than the part #s on the FPS currently on my car (Bosch # 0261230110 and volvo # 30756097). Part currently on my car below:

In this post the bosch 0261230110 is shown on what I can only assume is an S40 T5 (per his signature?).

As far as I can tell, the 0261230239 part I have is listed to work on an S40 T5, among other cars (of which the R series is not listed).

If it appears the R part has been fitted and working on an S40 T5 and the "incorrect (S40 T5)" part being fitted on a few R's, could the difference really come down to one has the extra hole for the wire clip? I wouldn't put it past volvo to make 2 different part #s with the same electronics and the only difference being cosmetic..

But alas, I am no expert here so I really don't know.. what could you speculate as going wrong? Is there anyone here who could even tell us if there are electronic differences between the two?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I used the land rover discovery part. It was like 85$ from rock auto, it still says Volvo on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far readings are nominal (of course short of complete failure the readings will almost always be nominal because the fuel pump adjusts pressure based on what the pressure sensor reports). I will report back if anything goes wrong with the new sensor.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I do see that both the Bosch part # (0261230239) and the Volvo part # (31272732) on the Napa part are different than the part #s on the FPS currently on my car (Bosch # 0261230110 and volvo # 30756097). Part currently on my car below:

In this post the bosch 0261230110 is shown on what I can only assume is an S40 T5 (per his signature?).

As far as I can tell, the 0261230239 part I have is listed to work on an S40 T5, among other cars (of which the R series is not listed).

If it appears the R part has been fitted and working on an S40 T5 and the "incorrect (S40 T5)" part being fitted on a few R's, could the difference really come down to one has the extra hole for the wire clip? I wouldn't put it past volvo to make 2 different part #s with the same electronics and the only difference being cosmetic..

But alas, I am no expert here so I really don't know.. what could you speculate as going wrong? Is there anyone here who could even tell us if there are electronic differences between the two?
Pure speculation on my part, but the difference between the two FPS's could be the operating pressure/temperature range of the sensors, or even something as simple as a hardware difference (mounting hole on one versus the other) like you mentioned. Perhaps the difference is so minimal that they are indeed compatible with one another. The only real way to know is to see if there is any technical specification listing from Bosch on the different OE Bosch PN's referenced above.

Also, part of the reason why those who install the "wrong" sensor in their R's and have no issues, could be because their old sensor had completely failed, and the new sensor is actually working now.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I just paid $75 for one at napa using my business account. Bosch original part.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Uh, guys...

Having worked in the auto parts world (domestic mostly, but became the "go to" guy for imports because of all my Volvo experiences tracking down stuff for my own) I gotta say that, from an old conversation years ago with Bosch technical staff, a part is a part is a part... if it rolled through the Bosch plant, it got the same testing done... so the aftermarket versus "oem" is bogus. Reason: it would cost Bosch more to have to run 2 QC lines than its worth for the difference in price.

2nd, Bosch is NOTORIOUS for changing part numbers (part number consolidation). NOTORIOUS. They have done that for 25 years I've been around buying their stuff, and I expect nothing will change in that regard. So showing up with a new part number is no biggie. Or having a different part number for a Rover versus a Volvo versus a Porsche. Used to have several Porsche guys getting "Volvo" parts for their cars, because it was the same car, minus the markup.

Again, this is specifically addressing Bosch. Some other brands this may not hold true. I always have the debate internally over OEM vs aftermarket, because I know sometimes that the OEM part IS the right part to put on, and I also know that sometimes the aftermarket actually does their homework and fixes the flaws of the OEM (more on domestics than on Volvo, but you get the drift) and is actually a better part. And a whole bunch of it is absolute crap... so you got to pick carefully.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
just a bid more info maybe already said here, just updated:

0261230110 Bosch
0261230239 Bosch(maybe new part #)
31272730 Volvo (with clip hole)
31272732 Volvo (without clip hole)
30756097 Volvo
LR005493 Land Rover
LR015294 Land Rover

A few options to get it can be:

rockauto.com $62.89 plus shipping, airtex brand
napaonline.com $75 plus tax
tascaparts.com $144-$180 depends which part # you put
ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261241465669?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
$72 shipped.

Well, the point here is to try to get the same part for the cheapest price possible. In my case i has really consfuse about the 31272730 and 31272732, the only difference between the two is the clip hole on the second one which doesnt exist.

I ordered from ebay the LR015294 and like many people here says, its a volvo part, you can see on the picture the box, the sensor and i compared with the one that my XC90 2.5T has it.

Old one

And this is the difference that i wrote above.

Hope this information can help.:thumbup:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Airtex from rock auto is just a label on the box. My dad ordered two airtex coil packs and there were Bosch coil packs inside...probably the same thing that will happen with the fps.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts