SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All you need is small boat, a spanner and a wetsuit.

£30,000,000 - I bet you could get all the '03 accessories you need...not to mention an XC90 - they are waterproof - right??? http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

Seriously though, hope nobody from Swedespeed is waiting for a new vehicle and will be effected by this.

The Norwegian-registered Tricolor had been travelling from Zebrugge, Belgium, to Southampton with its multi-million pound cargo of vehicles, including BMWs, Volvos and Saabs, and 77 containers.

A salvage team is preparing to send divers down to the sunken car carrier in the English Channel on Sunday.

A spokesman for the Dutch salvage company Smit Tak told BBC News Online that a team had been at the scene of the wreck overnight but had been hampered by bad weather conditions and a high tide.

He said none of the ship's estimated 2,000 tons of oil was leaking into the sea.

The 55,000-ton Tricolor - carrying nearly 3,000 luxury cars - capsized and sank in the early hours of Saturday after a collision with a cargo freighter about 30 miles (48km) east of Ramsgate, Kent.

No-one was injured.

"The ship is not leaking any of its bunker oil - just a little bit of oil maybe from the engines. That is good news."

Mr Walder said the method of removing the ship had still to be decided by the owners and insurers. It could be refloated or lifted by floating cranes.

The Norwegian-registered Tricolor had been travelling from Zebrugge, Belgium, to Southampton with its multi-million pound cargo of vehicles, including BMWs, Volvos and Saabs, and 77 containers.

The 20,000-ton Bahamas-registered freighter Kariba was badly damaged in the collision but limped back to port in Antwerp, Belgium.

British coastguard Lee Drew said: "The wreck must really go as soon as possible, because the Dover Straits is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world - and this is the actual crossroads where ships come from and to the European ports."

The value of the cargo was put at £30m, though the cars would have fetched double that at retail prices, motor industry experts say.

The estimated value of the Tricolor itself is about £25m.

Per Ronnevigsaid, spokesman for the Tricolor's owners Wilhelmsen Lines, said the ship and cargo owners would work with the insurers.

But he said it was likely the cars would probably have to be written off because the ship had capsized as it sank.

Warship in area

"All the cars are probably lying in pieces down there," he said.

Dover Coastguard said a Belgian warship, the Wandelaar, was in the area helping French coastguards.

The Tricolor was initially only partly submerged because of a low tide but later disappeared from view.

An inquiry will be launched by the French authorities into the cause of the accident

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: Cheap Spare Parts (topless_tart)

Congratzs!!

I think you hit the only forum left without this news! http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

(Thanks Paul!)

[Modified by Johann, 2:41 PM 12-17-2002]

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: Cheap Spare Parts (topless_tart)

unfortnately, I think I actually see an xc90 floating about 30 ft forward from the back of the ship on the left side. Eh, not quite sure if it is, hopefully not, but that's an suv body for sure, ouch! I looked at it for a while, it's more an minivan than an suv, if so, whew!

[Modified by biggerhurt38, 7:52 AM 12-17-2002]

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Re: Cheap Spare Parts (biggerhurt38)

quote:

unfortnately, I think I actually see an xc90 floating about 30 ft forward from the back of the ship on the left side. Eh, not quite sure if it is, hopefully not, but that's an suv body for sure, ouch! I looked at it for a while, it's more an minivan than an suv, if so, whew!

[Modified by biggerhurt38, 7:52 AM 12-17-2002]
Looks like a PS job http://********************/smile/emsmilep.gif

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: Cheap Spare Parts (GShyneDM)

Hope no c70's on board !!!!

rd A Happy & Healthy to all on Swedespeed !!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: Cheap Spare Parts (RD)

The C70 count for just region with Denver was 26!

Here are moredetails from fellow club meber hat works at local dealer...

I just found out that the ship (Volvo refers to it as the Loveboat) that was
shipping over 1989(thats not the year but how many) Volvos and 2000
additional Saabs and BMWs sank over overseas last weekend. The moment the
ship was sinking, a wave of screams called out to me like a disturbance in
the Force. The casualties coming to the Denver maket consisted of 136 S80s,
66 XC90(3 of them I had sold to my customers), 5 V70, 287 XC70 Cross
Countries, 8 S60, 4 V40, 2 S40, 26 C70. Needless to say, with a loss like
that and Volvo beginning the production of 2004 models 6 months earlier than
normal and slated to come in April/May, that the 2003 model year should be a
rarer car than normal. Maybe 20-30 years from now that will mean something,
collectablity wise?

.... SO SOME OF THOSE SPARES WILL FIT OUR CARS!!...

carl (was cargusjo, forgot pw so start post count from 0 again http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif )

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Cheap Spare Parts (cargusjoh)

quote:

additional Saabs and BMWs sank over overseas last weekend.
That's not true....the toal amount of cars on board was just a tad over 2,800 with 1,889 of them being Volvos, the rest BMTroubleYous and SOB (sniff sniff) stories...(a.k.a. BMWs and SAABs).

Yannis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts