1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

$80 Ebay. Some assembly required :) Works great though!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that looks great can you make a write up on all the modifications you did too make the intercooler fit:D what you need to by

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dam thats nice however i dont wanna cut the bumper whats my options now ? thats why i was leaning towards the ford inter coolers because there direct bolt on so i heard ? I know your FMIC was a big improvement in performance but how will the ford one do Vs the stock inter cooler ? do you know

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dam thats nice however i dont wanna cut the bumper whats my options now ? thats why i was leaning towards the ford inter coolers because there direct bolt on so i heard ? I know your FMIC was a big improvement in performance but how will the ford one do Vs the stock inter cooler ? do you know

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think the focus IC might not give you enough of an improvement for it to be worth it... but that depends what your trying to do. IM guessing youll get a tune and if i were doing that i think i'd look to something better.
DIY intercooler will be the cheapest.. and you can probably find something smaller than pictured above. but for an FMIC that'll fit in the stock location without needing to trim, your cheapest option is probably the do88 option. THat's what i'd go for if i had to get one now. i was lucky and got mine second hand here but unfortunately there arent a whole lot of options for a budget piece that wont require some fabrication.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Nope, not the cheapest option. There are a LOT of ebay IC's that will fit without cutting. If I remember correctly the space available is 22x8x2.5" 2.5" inlet and outlet.... I think.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Ford IC won't give you any real gains. It's just slightly larger and not worth the money in my opinion.

Also, you need the MkII Focus RS intercooler, which you're not going to find in the US. Unless someone has proven that the current ST IC bolts right on?
Still not worth it though...
Pricey, but look at Elevate and DO88 (both bolt on). Due to limited market for these cars, you've gotta pay to play if you don't want to fabricate things yourself.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
"YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY" Volvo parts are as expensive as aftermarket exotic parts. Its crazy. Learn to do some things yourself and you will save lots in mods.

Our closest compatible forced induction US car is the Mazdaspeed 3. Maybe they have an IC option that bolts in?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Stock MS3 uses a top mount IC. Not sure how compatible an aftermarket FMIC will be since the MS3 seems to have a different front bumper design.

Personally I went with the d088 FMIC. Cheapest of the bolt-ons @ a sale price of $460, but still pretty expensive relative to a universal. I wanted to avoid the hassle of installing custom hoses, mounts, and sensor fitting, so I paid a bit more. My lack of a garage, 2nd car, and fabrication ability definitely influenced the decision. do88 is high quality and was easy to install so I'm not dissatisfied with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
yeah that^ TMIC wouldnt work...

Do88 is the cheapest bolt on i think still.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've upgraded my stock intercooler for a focus st intercooler. Fitting wise, it's a direct bolt on part.

I think the focus intercooler has a couple more rows & is slightly bigger.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts