SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

For those who has OSD before and particularly recently, is there any restaurant or cafe around Radisson Blu which I can get cheap lunch or dinner? Asian food is okay too.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When you come out of Radisson turn left and walk about 100 yds. There's a Shawarma place on the right side of the main road. You have to cross the main road. If I remember correctly the food was was very good.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
cheap/good food

Ask the concierge at the hotel. They gave us several really good options. They know the area better than anyone. We found great lunch and dinner options all within walking distance.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Oh, almost forgot, cheap, food and Sweden do not normally go together!!!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Stay in Radisson for its buffet dinner...no thrill excellence...and cheaper than most places around...for a thrill go to Dubliner..it will not break your bank either...

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Froken Olssons Kafe a couple blocks away on Ostra Larmgatan has very good sandwiches and a relaxing coffee house type of atmosphere. A little further down on Lilla Kungsgatan, there is a Greek restaurant - the Greisk Taverna Sirtaki that was not too expensive. A place that is in the oldest section of Gothenburg toward the harbor that was good and inexpensive was Kronhusbodarna Cafe on Postgatan. Buy food inside and sit inside or outside in the courtyard.

No matter what, you have to try a "Räkmacka" - the Swedish open faced shrimp sandwich. I had two the last day in Gothenburg - for lunch and dinner! The hotel makes a pretty good one too.

Speaking of the hotel, the breakfast buffet is excellent. Definitely take advantage of that. It's free! (At least for the night that Volvo picks up.)

Enjoy your trip!

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
LaGondola has reasonable Italian food. Smaka has local Swedish fair and The Rover in the Haga has great burgers. All are reasonably priced.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a large enclosed shopping mall 2 blocks away that has a couple of options. There is a great grocery store in the basement, plus a take-out seafood shop towards the back. The pub in the mall has GREAT seafood soup. Beyond that, stroll up and down the main streets. Lot's of bistros.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We enjoyed Star of India (walking: turn left out of front door, take first left, is on right at next corner).

Smaka and Soho were recommendations from the Hotel. We really liked Smaka; Soho tried too hard to be NYC trendy.

The Hotel breakfast buffet was included in the room every night we stayed there (3 nights at the start, last night before flying out). You could also grab most of a quick lunch during breakfast (common European method according to Rick Steves, at least in Germany).

I found that meals were roughly 2x what we pay in the US. I'm not complaining, just noting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a large enclosed shopping mall 2 blocks away that has a couple of options. There is a great grocery store in the basement, plus a take-out seafood shop towards the back. The pub in the mall has GREAT seafood soup. Beyond that, stroll up and down the main streets. Lot's of bistros.
How far is the shopping mall from the hotel? 10 minutes walk? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
How far is the shopping mall from the hotel? 10 minutes walk? Thanks.
Heck - half that. Out the front door of the hotel and over the bridge to the left (small canal) and just ahead of you. All of 200 meters ... and even when all the shops are closed in there (like a Sunday night) some of the restaurants maintain opening hours.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heck - half that. Out the front door of the hotel and over the bridge to the left (small canal) and just ahead of you. All of 200 meters ... and even when all the shops are closed in there (like a Sunday night) some of the restaurants maintain opening hours.
Is it Nordstan? ;)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Hello all,

For those who has OSD before and particularly recently, is there any restaurant or cafe around Radisson Blu which I can get cheap lunch or dinner? Asian food is okay too.

Thanks for sharing.
I would also recommend the Padden Boat Tour, a walk down the Avenyn to see the Poseidon Statue and visit Konstmuseum (City Art Museum).....

You will have a blast.............

1 - 14 of 14 Posts