SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here we go:
I am getting an intermittent chassis setting service required message and the resulting inability to change suspension settings (and the annoying orange triangle). Car is stock, with stock springs. 130k, no leaking shocks, at least the last time I was under the car (~1 month ago).

The issue first showed up after I had jacked the car up doing an oil change. Started the car, got the error, drove about 5 miles, restarted and it was gone. This has happened every time I jack up the car. Then it showed up after a long drive, but only if the gas tank is nearly empty. And this morning it did it just with a 1/4 tank of fuel. In other wors, it seems to be getting worse. When I bough the car, the shop replaced some wiring for the rear accelerometer, and everything was great for a few months.

Any idea where to start? Also, which of the many sketchy spots online is best to buy a DICE / VIDA setup so I can better diagnose this stuff?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hard to tell without any codes, get a vida-dice the best place to get it is on eBay from chinese replicas.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Sounds almost like an accelerometer on the strut. Maybe the shop did a shoddy job repairing the last one? Without scanning it, you're basically shooting in the dark because it's likely an electrical fault you can't inspect visually.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have had an intermittent issue like this. And after getting a DICE unit it was a code in the DEM for the pump or something. Not too worried since it has only come on once. I got my DICE unit from Computer physco on ebay. Super fast shipping unlike getting one from Hong Kong

·
Registered
171 Posts
You definitely need a DICE or have an indy read the codes for you to at least narrow it down which strut. If it's intermittent, I'm guessing it's one of the wires on one of the front struts. Over long periods of time they become brittle and weak with movement and temp changes. The car's computer sees slight fluctuations in voltage and throws the code assuming something is wrong. I found this on my car by using a voltmeter and having my son bend the wire harness coming out of the bottom of the strut while I measured at the connection point on the firewall. Sure enough, about 2-3 inches up, the volts starting bouncing all over with just slight bending of the wire. I was able to zip tie the wire in place to prevent the intermittent code for another 20k miles until it just gave out all together. Worth a shot given the cost of new struts, however at 130k you are probably due anyway.
Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, especially where to get a DICE from. Ill be ordering one in the next few days.

nedmonds, the wire makes sense, as it got worse when the temperature dropped.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Brittle wiring seems to be a "thing" with Volvo. I just have to re-splice 5 wires in my tailgate harness that fatigued and broke. I had lost license plate lights as well as rear wiper.
Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
You definitely need a DICE or have an indy read the codes for you to at least narrow it down which strut. If it's intermittent, I'm guessing it's one of the wires on one of the front struts. Over long periods of time they become brittle and weak with movement and temp changes. The car's computer sees slight fluctuations in voltage and throws the code assuming something is wrong. I found this on my car by using a voltmeter and having my son bend the wire harness coming out of the bottom of the strut while I measured at the connection point on the firewall. Sure enough, about 2-3 inches up, the volts starting bouncing all over with just slight bending of the wire. I was able to zip tie the wire in place to prevent the intermittent code for another 20k miles until it just gave out all together. Worth a shot given the cost of new struts, however at 130k you are probably due anyway.
Good luck.
I agree. I have the same issue. It only happens when the temperature drops below 45 degrees. I used to have a working DICE (darn ebay crap) and it pointed to one of the front wheel sensors. Considering it was intermittent, I never looked into it, but I suspect the wiring issue.

With that said, I would caution that your final assumptions should be based on a DICE reading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hxgaser, thanks for the warning. I may be new to Volvo, but I wasn't about to use the shotgun approach to solve the issue when the parts cost as much as they do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used the vida clone device, but you need to do any upgrades or reflash you have to use the real VIDA 2015 with j2534 pass thru device

·
Registered
258 Posts
I had the intermittent messages for awhile and now it's on all the time. Just took it to the dealer for the diagnosis and they want to replace the front suspension. Not disputing it but am interested in what the going rate for replacing the fronts are these days. Their quote seems high (don't they always) and am interested to hear what others have been quoted/paid lately. Chicago area would be great but any would be appreciated. My dealer quoted about $3300.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ha, so I'm actually having a similar issue. I bought my car not long ago with 80k miles and a full service history printed for me. Shows one front strut has been replaced in the past. (I get they are expensive, but ONE STRUT?!)

Fast forward to recently, if my car sits idle for a long time (waiting in a drive thru, railroad for long trains, or just idling while chatting or something, it will give the chassis setting service error. I'm thinking it's prolly the other strut going bad, but it's only when I am not moving AT ALL. If I am driving around, never get the error. All I have to do is restart the car and it's gone.

Will be following this thread.

Wheatie- the service record I have from my cars past owner has ~$800to replace one strut with the strut itself being $650 in parts. You can get front struts for much cheaper than that via iPD and FCP and the install is pretty easy for anyone mechanically inclined. Definitely not 3,300$ worth of work in it. Keep shopping for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was getting an intermittent chassis setting warning but it went away after I wiggled and slightly rerouted the wiring coming from the affected front shock and cleaned up the connections under the hood. I also spilled brake fluid on what I believe to be the accelerometer on the shock while changing the brake calipers - not sure if that had any effect. The chassis warning would come on while reversing the car from my driveway but would stay off if I started the car and drove straight away.

Bruce

·
Registered
911 Posts
I bet it's a faulty solenoid in the shock/strut. Once you get the DICE unit, you'll be able to pinpoint which corner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts