SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question may be better posed to the C30 crew but I now notice the chassis flexes since I have a stiffer suspension. What have you guys done to correct this? I know my V50 needs at least a rear strut tower brace with some triangulation. What have the autoXers here done?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a killer deal on carbon fiber pultrusion tube. I'm thinking of making fabricating some uber strong compact and removable bracing.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
This question may be better posed to the C30 crew but I now notice the chassis flexes since I have a stiffer suspension. What have you guys done to correct this? I know my V50 needs at least a rear strut tower brace with some triangulation. What have the autoXers here done?
What tires are you using? If they are Hoosiers, then yeah I would recommend it. Otherwise using street tire isn't going to do much. You have to set up your suspension to the tire.

Honestly, looks at the SM and SMF cars, they don't have any chassis bracing at all due to the expense of weight reduction.

Even Miata guys took off their roll bars and are faster without it in ES, STS, and CSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Just a rear strut bar (like TheBelgian brace going between the seat points) makes a HUGE difference, even more noticeable than an RSB.
The V50 suffers from the same problem as the C30, in that it's basically a long cylinder that flexes on itself.

Chassis braces are great, but I don't have any and I don't find my car to be lacking at all.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
here's the bracing i have done:
mid chasis (Ultraracing):

Upgraded RSB (Elevate):
dang. no pictures but it's the elevate RSB. (as you can see by my crappy mid brace pictures i suck hard at the photo game.

Strut tower bar (Ultraracing):
dang. no pictures installed but here it is when i was spraying it:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
the mid brace absolutely tightened things up. minimizes flex big time.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The midbrace, how low does it hang? Looks like I'd scrape that on everything...
it's pretty low. if i go over a dead squirrel in the road it never comes out in one piece. i am dumped all the way - perches removed. anything larger than a small rock gets hit. are you on bags and drive even lower? than it will probably scrape everything.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Coilovers with removed perches as well, judging by the tire tuck, we're about the same. C30 side skirts just hang a lot lower. I guess I'll be okay if I ever get this brace.
Something else to add to the wish list...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ah YES great thread as I just got a couple of mine finished!

Rear Lower Brace
This mounts to the four points that the muffler hangers were on. This will be the base for more bracing to the rear subframe. This is before welding.

Plan for the Rear Strut Brace

Driver Side as it was being fabbed.

There are 4 top bolts (2 per side). The outside bolts are through the stock hole. The inward bolts were drilled into the frame.

Final Pic of it all together.

Let me know if y'all got questions.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170607033567

This is the chassis brace that Viva pictures, but does not offer (the larger one) I am about to install it. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet! Let me know how it goes. I'm really interested to know if you can feel any improvement at all. The bottom of the car is a like a giant sheer plate so I wouldn't think it would do much.

I just filled up the Argon for my TIG and installed a new regulator. Ill be getting the inserts from Dragonplate and the pultruded carbon fiber from my top secret source this week. It should look clean but with no crazy weave or chrome it should not look to showy. The Pulltruded tube is .75" so I don't think it will be great in compression at ~40" at the top. Ill need to make sure I set it up in tension rather than compression so I think i'm going to do tower to tower in the rear as well as triangulation from the top of each to the base of the adjacent towers. Based on the looks of the suspension I don't expect an improvement in cornering but perhaps less creaking from the rear over speed bumps etc..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Its currently raining, so I didn't go for a drive. Now that I know here this piece bolts up, I am not the most sure how beneficial either. The front two use the front lower A arm mounting bolt. (18mm) The rear two use the rearmost (of two) of the rear lower A arm bolt (15mm). Considering that both of these are attached to the same piece of metal, I don't think I am going to feel much of anything.

Here's a few pics of it:

What you need to know here: P/N: LA4-626

I was trying to get better detail of the mounting, but then my phone battery went dead.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
the mid brace absolutely tightened things up. minimizes flex big time.
This gives me hope for the second one behind the one that I just installed.

Based on this picture, it actually hooks up several parts across the chassis, the one I have just seems to strengthen the front subframe. Considering that it is the most busy of the subframes, it isn't going to hurt, but I doubt I will feel much.

Just found a link that saves the costly shipping on this brace compared to other vendors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170607033796?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good info....I worry about ground clearance though. Anyone take any measurements?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Good info....I worry about ground clearance though. Anyone take any measurements?
I didn't though I have scrapped once on a speed bump, but I was going just slightly too fast. Now I take speed bumps like a *****, hella slow and sideways if I can.

I feel like the steering is more accurate, or that it responds faster. There is just a better feel of connection to the the front wheels. I am actually pretty happy with it. It isn't night and day, but since I am not willing to go with a stiffer suspension (coilovers) I think it was a good buy for me.

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
I got the mid-brace today for my S40 and some nuts, bolts and washers all packaged together but no instructions.
This is the one that ends in 627 (the lower one)- not the one that goes on the front subframe.
Does anyone have any install instructions or can walk me through it?
I have no idea where the bolts that were sent are suppose to go...I think I can figure out some but not all!
-Dave

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You might just have to jack up the car and mess around with where the bolts fit. Are the bolts into the chassis the compression rivet types?

·
Registered
7,737 Posts
You might just have to jack up the car and mess around with where the bolts fit. Are the bolts into the chassis the compression rivet types?
I don't think so...2 of them I believe go where the subframe bolts are, so that means that those bolts come out- the other two- who knows but 2 bolts and nuts are supplied. Nothing about torque values either. I have written to Ultra Racing for clarification. If subframe bolts, does anyone know the torque values? On my wife's V70 it was 77 ft lbs then 120 degree angle torque (and the use of red lock tight).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts