SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A review of VADIS for XC90 within the subject CAR BODY notes the following:<br>The XC90 is based on a passenger car chassis with unitary construction. This gives a low center of gravity, ensuring good directional stability and countering any tendency to roll over.<br>The shape of the XC90 body is based on the same basic design as the V70 body. Front and rear crumple zones absorb collision forces. The passenger compartment has a safety cage in which the door sills, posts, cantrails and doors are reinforced etc., etc., etc...<p><B>Then comes the statement: "There are two types of chassis applications, soft (USA) and hard (EU)."</B><p>Is there someone within the Volvo community who can provide additional detail as far as any differences between USA and EU chassis types??

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Chassis Application, XC90 (ggleavitt)

No responses to date.<p>Is this valid or not ???<p>Would like to know...

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Chassis Application, XC90 (ggleavitt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>ggleavitt</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No responses to date.<p>Is this valid or not ???<p>Would like to know...</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Well, you have no replies because it does not apply to the U.S. market anyway.<p>The chassis is not "harder" in Europe vs. that in the U.S.-bound XC90s. The rigidity of the chassis is the same. The suspension is calibrated differently, though. Same goes for the tires; they get totally different tires than we do.<p>Yannis

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: Chassis Application, soft (ggleavitt)

The whole line has softer springs in the US market. Apparently that is what the average US Volvo driver wants.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Chassis Application, XC90 (GrecianVolvo)

Simple question, simple answer.<p>Thanks to all who responded...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Well hell, if I had known that I would have ordered the Euro-spec suspension. Instead I spent ~$900 to buy & install ipd sway bars. Great.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rfkuehn</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well hell, if I had known that I would have ordered the Euro-spec suspension. .</TD></TR></TABLE><p>That would have been very difficult to accomplish through a U.S. retailer. And I bet the iPd stuff povide better handling when compared to the Euro-set up from Volvo.<p>Yannis

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

In the VW aftermarket, some companies import Euro interiors for more sought-after models like the R32. I don't know if there's a market for Euro spec suspensions on an XC90, but I can say the Euro spec XC90 V8 I drove felt a whole lot more satisfying than the US V8.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Well I for one am still stunned to learn this. I ordered through military sales, if I had even a clue that a European-spec suspension was out there I would have insisted on it. <p>Needless to say, I won't order another Volvo without it. Live & learn, I guess.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>rfkuehn</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I for one am still stunned to learn this. I ordered through military sales, if I had even a clue that a European-spec suspension was out there I would have insisted on it. <p>Needless to say, I won't order another Volvo without it. Live & learn, I guess.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>Don't you guys understand...you CANNOT order it on a US spec XC90!!! military or otherwise

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Really? My Volvo guy was able to come up with all sorts of non-standard configuration options, but I don't know if he was aware of the suspension differences. Already emailed him to ask.<p>In a way I could understand the EU-spec tires not being available to the US market, but why not the suspension components?<p>Regardless, seems to me that Volvo should be offering a EU-spec suspension option, even if the default is US-spec.<p>Anyone know if BMW, Audi, etc. soften-up their cars for the US market?<p>Bottom line, I won't buy another 'soft' European car again...!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts