SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Chasing a Strange Clunk

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  vtl 
#1 ·
Hopefully someone can help me out with this, I have read all the clunking themed posts I could find and am still unsure what is going on here.
About 6 months back my 05 XC70 started to develop a sot clunking in the front end. It slowly got worse and after some looking into it I replaced my left and then right front control arms. Each time I would replace one the clunk would go away for about a day and then return. The clunk itself used to only happen when stopping or starting but now happens also when turning or when hitting bumps with my wheels turned. It is a pair of clunks one after another about a second apart witch is something i have never heard before.

I have replaced:
* Both front lower control arms and bushings
* Top and bottom engine/transmission torque mounts
* Passenger side lower engine mount.

Inspected but not replaced:
*Ball joints
*Sway bars
*Sway bar end links
*CV Shafts
*Wheel bearings.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#5 ·
Sway bar end links feel tight when detached, no noticeable play and the joint takes some effort to move around. Strut top bushings look cracked but spring back when rotated and the noise is definitely coming from underneath anyway. With most of the rubber on this thing shot and the area of the noise I suspect my sub frame bushings. Have a set on the way and ill install them this weekend.

#6 ·
Took the front end apart and all but one of the subframe bushings were totally fine, replaced the one that was suspect. Strut tops seem to check out, sway bar bushings still have spring in em, endlinks are tight, lower control arms were both replaced this month. I'm completely at my wits end here. I'm thinking I may have to bring it in but I would really hate to.

#7 ·
I have to mention, because it bit me on my wife's car.

I replaced end links on her Honda and the noise came back, because I had installed them and torqued them tight without loading the suspension properly, so they felt tight when you jacked it up and checked, and were new and not broken, but I had to learn you have to load the suspension (lower the car or use a jack to compress things) before you tighten them so that they're in the right position.

You probably did this, but I feel for you chasing odd clunks, it's a frustrating game

#8 ·
I don't see spring seats and strut mounts on your list. If you are on the original struts, I would start there. Try torquing the top bolt. If it moves 1/4 without resistance, that's probably your culprit.

#10 ·
As others said: check end links. Other things to check is rear subframe bushings: they have a rubber lip that touches the body and that wears out, resulting in a knock over bumps. IPD and others sell thick O-rings that go over these bushings and eliminate the clunks.

Also look for axle spline play. Lots of play will produce a clunk of acceleration and another one on de-acceleration. Audible only at low speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.