SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the T8 charger cable is weatherproof? I don’t have a garage, so I have to plug into an outside 110 outlet. I do not charge if it’s raining, but is that necessary? I don’t see any warnings in the manual.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The TurboCord requires a protected (covered) outlet when used outdoors. However, as long as water/weather isn't an issue, it works fine. In SoCal, the past couple of months, my TurboCord sits outside on the floor while charging...

Details on the protection:
http://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-dual-plug-in-ev-charger-120--240-volt-ul-listed-p28.aspx
"NOTE: The National Electrical Code requires while-in-use covers when attaching cord-connected equipment in an outdoor environment where the outlet in use could be subject to water intrusion. To learn more, please visit http://www.neconnect.org/"

Other than that, it holds up well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I park my T8 on the driveway, about 15m from the house. I have no option to park under cover, so I got an electrician to change out the 240v plug on the end of the charging cable that came with the car for a screw-tight waterproof one, and had him make me a 16amp weatherproof extension cord. I have had no issues charging in all weather. We just had the wettest June in 40 years where I live and I charged it every day with no problems. I even had it charging during a lightning storm one night (which made me nervous). I think as long as you do your bit to make the plug waterproof, then there won’t be a problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The TurboCord requires a protected (covered) outlet when used outdoors. However, as long as water/weather isn't an issue, it works fine. In SoCal, the past couple of months, my TurboCord sits outside on the floor while charging...

Details on the protection:
http://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-dual-plug-in-ev-charger-120--240-volt-ul-listed-p28.aspx
"NOTE: The National Electrical Code requires while-in-use covers when attaching cord-connected equipment in an outdoor environment where the outlet in use could be subject to water intrusion. To learn more, please visit http://www.neconnect.org/"

Other than that, it holds up well.
Thanks for the info. I assume that the plug that attaches to the car is sufficiently weatherproof?

Also, the link http://www.neconnect.org/ doesn’t work.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thanks for the info. I assume that the plug that attaches to the car is sufficiently weatherproof?

Also, the link http://www.neconnect.org/ doesn’t work.
Not sure about the NEConnect website they had a link to, but, the NEC does require sufficient protection and coverage for outlets installed outdoors... Of course, what you do at your own home is your own business, until insurance comes along for something that they trace that being the fault to.

In terms of the J1772 connection to the vehicle. Yes, it was designs to be able to withstand weather conditions, so, you don't need to worry. All the pins, plus the joint connection create individual connections that can't cross over. Also, there is a drain opening under the socket in the vehicle in case water does collect.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about the NEConnect website they had a link to, but, the NEC does require sufficient protection and coverage for outlets installed outdoors... Of course, what you do at your own home is your own business, until insurance comes along for something that they trace that being the fault to.

In terms of the J1772 connection to the vehicle. Yes, it was designs to be able to withstand weather conditions, so, you don't need to worry. All the pins, plus the joint connection create individual connections that can't cross over. Also, there is a drain opening under the socket in the vehicle in case water does collect.
Thanks for the great info. I bought a weatherproof “bubble” cover at my local electrical supply store, and it fits! I had to modify the outlet case to accommodate the hinge, etc., but it is now “legal.” Rain is in the forecast for the rest of the week, so I’ll get the chance to test it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great info. I bought a weatherproof “bubble” cover at my local electrical supply store, and it fits! I had to modify the outlet case to accommodate the hinge, etc., but it is now “legal.” Rain is in the forecast for the rest of the week, so I’ll get the chance to test it!
**** Update ****

I spoke too soon. Although I installed the cover OK, I failed to actually plug in the cable to test it. When I went to change my car today, I discovered that the cover would not close over the plug, due to the odd configuration of the plug. I would have to cut a slot in the bottom of the cover to make it fit, but before I do that, I am wondering if anyone has a cover that fits over the plug? I can’t believe that Volvo or TurboCord don’t make one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
**** Update ****

I spoke too soon. Although I installed the cover OK, I failed to actually plug in the cable to test it. When I went to change my car today, I discovered that the cover would not close over the plug, due to the odd configuration of the plug. I would have to cut a slot in the bottom of the cover to make it fit, but before I do that, I am wondering if anyone has a cover that fits over the plug? I can’t believe that Volvo or TurboCord don’t make one.
The official while-in-use box that comes with the 240v TurboCord http://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-240v-lockable-outdoor-use-cover-kit-p52.aspx is legrand WIUCED10DCL https://www.legrand.us/passandseymo...ra-duty-while-in-use-covers/wiuced10dcl.aspx/

The problem is our cords that come with NA Spec XC60/XC90 is a TurboCord Dual. If you want to use 240v adaptor the door will not close. I have been to several different hardware stores trying to find a deeper box then legrand and I just think they don’t exist. The box would just be too deep. One thing that is very important to note since the dual plug is so long some boxes that look like it will fit don’t as soon as you close the box as the lid swing from the side. The good thing about the legrand is the box swings from the top right. It closes most of the way which is good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
http://store.evsolutions.com/turboco...r-kit-p52.aspx
The same company that makes the cord that comes with the XC60 makes a lockable outdoor cover version too.

Doing a little digging, I found just the cover here:
https://www.westsidewholesale.com/pa...-wiuc10cl.html

I'm sure you can find similar or order this off the web.

Chris
See above. Also the box you quoted is not “extra deep” it is not the box ev solutions sells with the lockable kit. The box they recommended is SINGLE GANG DEEP EXTRA HEAVY-DUTY WHILE-IN-USE COVER, GRAY/CLEAR
WIUCED10DCL. The cable that is supplied with the lockable kit does not have the 240v adapter as the cable is only for 240v so the plug is not as deep.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nope. The legrand I quoted WIUCED10DCL is 5” deep still won’t close all the way. I have tried other 5”+ deep boxes the problem is when it swings from the side you have interference on the back of the plug.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The official while-in-use box that comes with the 240v TurboCord http://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-240v-lockable-outdoor-use-cover-kit-p52.aspx is legrand WIUCED10DCL https://www.legrand.us/passandseymo...ra-duty-while-in-use-covers/wiuced10dcl.aspx/

The problem is our cords that come with NA Spec XC60/XC90 is a TurboCord Dual. If you want to use 240v adaptor the door will not close. I have been to several different hardware stores trying to find a deeper box then legrand and I just think they don’t exist. The box would just be too deep. One thing that is very important to note since the dual plug is so long some boxes that look like it will fit don’t as soon as you close the box as the lid swing from the side. The good thing about the legrand is the box swings from the top right. It closes most of the way which is good enough for me.

Thanks, but “almost closing” will allow rain to get in, so that’s not good. The TurboCord one they sell for outside includes the cable and costs $500! If they sold the cover separately, that would be ideal.

·
Registered
72 Posts
See above. Also the box you quoted is not “extra deep” it is not the box ev solutions sells with the lockable kit. The box they recommended is SINGLE GANG DEEP EXTRA HEAVY-DUTY WHILE-IN-USE COVER, GRAY/CLEAR
WIUCED10DCL. The cable that is supplied with the lockable kit does not have the 240v adapter as the cable is only for 240v so the plug is not as deep.
Yeah. I deleted my post after I realized the error. You just quoted it before I deleted.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks, but “almost closing” will allow rain to get in, so that’s not good. The TurboCord one they sell for outside includes the cable and costs $500! If they sold the cover separately, that would be ideal.
They don’t sell it separately because they are not a legrand distributor however they gave me the model number that is included in the kit. It is WIUCED10DCL. If you are only going to the box for 110v the box will close. It won’t close if you are using the 240v module for the dual cord as it makes the plug too deep.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They don’t sell it separately because they are not a legrand distributor however they gave me the model number that is included in the kit. It is WIUCED10DCL. If you are only going to the box for 110v the box will close. It won’t close if you are using the 240v module for the dual cord as it makes the plug too deep.
Thanks!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I believe the 240v module is simply a physical adapter going from 6-20P to 5-15R (I'll get out the multimeter and check today, or take apart the spare one I have).. In theory, you could use any other adapter, or, connect to a different type of outlet with any other X-XX to 5-15R adapter.

If you wire up your 5-15 socket with 208-240v, it should work without the adapter. Of course, that goes against all code, and I would not do it or advise anyone to do it since it would be against the NEC and the Fire Marshal if you get inspected. But, should work with any of those deep covers if you do. If you are electrically inclined, there would be other ways to do it.

Also, there are other J1772 charger cords that don't have the electronics module as part of the plug like the TurboCord, so, in those cases, you can use a regular box.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Verified that the adapter is a passive adapter from 6-20P to 5-15R, so, you could, if you made sure no one else could ever plug anything other than a 208-240V device in that outlet, use a 5-15R outlet, and remove the adapter, shaving a few inches... Just an observation, and not something I am promoting should be done.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Are you sure it's a passive adapter? I have a 5-15P to 6-20R cord that lets me plug a different charging cable in to a 120V outlet for Level 1 charging. On a whim I tried plugging in the Turbocord with the 6-20P adapter to the little adapter cord (essentially making it a 5-15 to 6-20 back to 5-15), and then plugged that into a standard 5-15R wall outlet. It immediately tripped the breaker. So there may be some sort of sensor in the TurboCord that detects if the adapter is on to enable Level 2 charging.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

OK, i ordered the cover, WIUCED10DCL, through my local electrical distributor, and it fits and works perfectly! Thank you, Jazx83.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
OK, i ordered the cover, WIUCED10DCL, through my local electrical distributor, and it fits and works perfectly! Thank you, Jazx83.
Happy to help! Glad it all worked out in the end.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts