SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I just recently had my 2017 XC90 in for its 20k mile service. When I went to pick it up I was charged almost $100 for wiper blade replacements. I was under the impression that those were included in the 3 years of factory scheduled maintenance. Am I incorrect?

They replaced my cabin air filter, oil and oil filter for free. The rear brake pads, rotors and calipers as well as front rotors were also replaced due to complaints of squeal and vibration at no charge, so I found it odd that the wipers were not included. Per the 20k mile interval service it shows that they are supposed to check wipers for correct function and wear, but it doesn't specifically say to replace them. Has anyone else had their covered under the 3 years free scheduled maintenance?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just paid the same during the 40k service. I believe they are considered wear items and not covered under service.

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
2006 Sonic Blue V70R

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just paid the same during the 40k service. I believe they are considered wear items and not covered under service.

2016 Magic Blue XC90 Inscription
2006 Sonic Blue V70R
Thanks. Since you are outside of the 3 years/36,000 free scheduled maintenance I would bet you are now paying for all maintenance items, right? I am still within my free maintenance period.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wipers are at your expense. Be lucky you got free brakes for a squeal. That saved you $600+.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wipers are at your expense. Be lucky you got free brakes for a squeal. That saved you $600+.
Thank you for confirming. It has been in the shop over and over again for the brakes, so I think that's why they covered it as an ongoing issue since I first purchased. They've replaced the rears 3 times already (and the fronts once) and can't seem to get the squeal to stop. From what I see on swedespeed, this is a very common problem.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
879 Posts
they are considered wear items and not covered under service.
^^ This.

It is along the same lines as tires and brake pads which are wear items and not on Volvo.

Thank you for confirming. It has been in the shop over and over again for the brakes, so I think that's why they covered it as an ongoing issue since I first purchased. They've replaced the rears 3 times already (and the fronts once) and can't seem to get the squeal to stop. From what I see on swedespeed, this is a very common problem.

Drive your car harder for a while and they wont do it. All the old people's cars squeak because they drive so gingerly. NONE of my SPA vehicles (three now) have had a brake noise after the initial first 500 miles or so of spirited driving/braking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^ This.

It is along the same lines as tires and brake pads which are wear items and not on Volvo.

Drive your car harder for a while and they wont do it. All the old people's cars squeak because they drive so gingerly. NONE of my SPA vehicles (three now) have had a brake noise after the initial first 500 miles or so of spirited driving/braking.
Thank you gunshow! I sent you a PM the other day also. If you have a chance, let me know if you can help me with it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hi All,
I just recently had my 2017 XC90 in for its 20k mile service. When I went to pick it up I was charged almost $100 for wiper blade replacements. I was under the impression that those were included in the 3 years of factory scheduled maintenance. Am I incorrect?

They replaced my cabin air filter, oil and oil filter for free. The rear brake pads, rotors and calipers as well as front rotors were also replaced due to complaints of squeal and vibration at no charge, so I found it odd that the wipers were not included. Per the 20k mile interval service it shows that they are supposed to check wipers for correct function and wear, but it doesn't specifically say to replace them. Has anyone else had their covered under the 3 years free scheduled maintenance?
Out of curiosity, did the tell you they were going to replace the wipers for $100 and did you agree to that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out of curiosity, did the tell you they were going to replace the wipers for $100 and did you agree to that?

No, I mentioned that the front windshield was smearing when using the wipers and the rear was not swiping smoothly (chattering) on each swipe. I wasn't quoted a price until I went to pick it up and had a bill for it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No, I mentioned that the front windshield was smearing when using the wipers and the rear was not swiping smoothly (chattering) on each swipe. I wasn't quoted a price until I went to pick it up and had a bill for it.

Did you pay it? I’m assuming you did and all I’ll say is that next time they don’t get approval in advance I wouldn’t pay them, I’d ask them to put the old parts back on and do it myself. That’s bullsh*t and I’m sure against their standard policy. Auto parts stores install them for free.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you pay it? I’m assuming you did and all I’ll say is that next time they don’t get approval in advance I wouldn’t pay them, I’d ask them to put the old parts back on and do it myself. That’s bullsh*t and I’m sure against their standard policy. Auto parts stores install them for free.

I did pay it, but wasn't happy. I'm capable of changing out wiper blades myself and would have just gone and bought my own if I had known. I was mistaken when I assumed it would be included under the 3 years of maintenance.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I did pay it, but wasn't happy. I'm capable of changing out wiper blades myself and would have just gone and bought my own if I had known. I was mistaken when I assumed it would be included under the 3 years of maintenance.
Going forward most shops have a policy of telling you what they think you need, what it will cost and then asking for your approval. Any other process is not acceptable imo. Perhaps they just assumed that you were asking them to replace them when you identified the problem, but $100....cheese wiz that’s a rip. I hate it when a service dept takes advantage of the customer. My service department wanted to charge me $95 for rotating the tires....I don’t think so!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going forward most shops have a policy of telling you what they think you need, what it will cost and then asking for your approval. Any other process is not acceptable imo. Perhaps they just assumed that you were asking them to replace them when you identified the problem, but $100....cheese wiz that’s a rip. I hate it when a service dept takes advantage of the customer. My service department wanted to charge me $95 for rotating the tires....I don’t think so!

Yeah, I will be sure to clarify next time that I want to be advised of any costs before they move forward.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

At least my dealer installs them for free if I buy them. I think they’ll even install free if I bring my own (or at least that’s what I’ve understood) but I’ve done them myself if I buy them separately.

Still, unless you’ve had the Safe + Secure Warranty (our 2010 XC90 came with it 5yrs/60k miles) which includes wear items, wipers and brakes are extra. Volvo hasn’t had the Safe + Secure Warranty since they introduced SPA vehicles.

Chillg8r is right, if you either implicitly or especially if I you explicitly approved they “fix” a water smearing then it’s on you for having requested they fix that issue. Most states have a minimum cost requirement for needing explicit approval before they fix. Odds are $100 is under that in your state. The blades aren’t cheap but $100 IMO seems to include a “service” charge. I think a set is about $60 normally.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Hi All,

No they are not included unless you have a wear policy on the vehicle which then replaces Brakes / Rotors / Wipers. Otherwise, you pay for these items once they require maintenance. Sometimes, if brakes / rotors wear out prematurely, Volvo will do a courtesy replacement. But if it's normal wear and tear, the cost falls upon you without the wear plan.

Such is why your brake pads and rotors were done at no cost. Because there were prior complaints and Volvo addressed these as being a warranty issue instead of a problem due to wear.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Some SPA cars did gave Safe and Secure with wear items but I think they stopped offering that. I can run your VIN if you think you have it.

Wipers should be $60 to $70 for the front. Maybe they also replaced the rear. Or charged labor, which would be ridiculous.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Some SPA cars did gave Safe and Secure with wear items but I think they stopped offering that. I can run your VIN if you think you have it.

Wipers should be $60 to $70 for the front. Maybe they also replaced the rear. Or charged labor, which would be ridiculous.
I tried googling, because I remember Volvo doing that too, but I yielded no results....Off Topic Question:

Did Volvo use to add these items for free in earlier models? Oddly enough I found a wealth of information on 2010, 2011, 2012's...Or was it this dealer only?

https://www.raypricevolvocars.com/safe---secure-coverage-plan.htm

The Volvo Safe + Secure Coverage Plan when purchasing a 2012, 2011 or 2010 model Volvo:

Did Volvo's Warranty use to be 5 years / 60K for 2010 & 11? and 5 yrs / 50K for 2012

Benefit if Purchasing a 2011 or 2010 Model Year Vehicle

5 Years/60,000 miles of Warranty
5 Years/60,000 miles of Wear & Tear Coverage
5 Years/60,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance
5 Years/Unlimited miles of Roadside Assistance

Benefit if Purchasing a 2012 Model Year Vehicle

5 Years/50,000 miles of Warranty
5 Years/50,000 miles of Wear & Tear Coverage
5 Years/50,000 miles of Complimentary Factory Scheduled Maintenance
5 Years/Unlimited miles of Roadside Assistance

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
I don't know if they were free or paid add ons. I'm not in sales. Every RO has a printout attached that shows if it has any free maintenance, recalls, etc. so I just check that when needed.

The base warranty was the same in 2012 or 2013.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Safe and Secure w/ wear was an add-on during the vehicle purchase i believe. I could be wrong as I am not in sales but that is what I heard.

Almost every dealer I know charges .1 to .2 for wiper install and the reason why is as quoted from service directors: "we dont ask you to do anything for free".

1 - 20 of 83 Posts