SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick story: I was driving my 2.5T into Chicago on Thursday and I had noticed some engine power fluctuations during passing, on/off ramp driving. This is my first turbocharged car and I was wondering if ambient air temperature and humidity has a positive/negative effect on turbocharged engines. By the by it was 92 degrees and the air was very very thick.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
it doesnt matter the temp, the engine should not fluctuat.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Probably a boost leak, check all of the clamps and hoses for looseness or cracks

·
Registered
577 Posts
Could the your boost control valve. The surging is typically the opening and closing of the wastegate as the ECU is trying to control boost or the ECU cutting timing and or fuel to control boost spikes. As you apply WOT the boost builds quickly and it's the TCV job to control the boost level based on manifold pressure. A failing TCV can't react fast enough to the sudden surge in boost and as a result the ECU starts to trim timing. I experience this same issue but I have an upgrade 16T angle flange turbo which makes more boost than the stock 14T. At WOT my car surges pretty noticeably.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts