SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to change your own oil? Any special tools or techniques necessary? How about the air filter? Our V70 is out of warranty and I'm thinking about taking on the routine maintenance instead of paying the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi,<P>The biggest problem is to reach the pan bolt under the car. It is located far from the front of the car, closer to the front wheel axles behind the engine block. I lifted the car but didn't feel confident enough to go underneath as the jacking points look flimsy to me! So I bought ramps... I can't get the car on them as the front bumper is too low. I then took the car to the dealership and for 29,95$CDN I had my oil changed.<P>I will probably give it another try with different tools or tricks later.<P>Let me know how you did it, please!<P>Thanks,<P>JF

·
Registered
16 Posts
The best way to do it is to lift the car with a trolley jack, and then place axle stands under the recommended points (shown in the Haynes/Bentley manuals I'm sure).<P>Changing the oil is so easy on the V70 because they have put the filter so it is horizontal, which means no splashes, and you can fill it will oil so it takes less time to prime when you switch on the engine.<P>Be very careful how tight you do up the sump plug because the sump is aluminium, you shouldn't use a copper washer as this takes too much force, it should be an aluminium washer.<P>The air filter is straightforward to, there are 6 or so clips round the air box which you can just push off with your finger or a screwdriver, then the top lifts off the box, and you can swap the filter.<P>

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks. Sounds like swapping the air filter is a fairly easy task. I may want to get a K&N for the car(it's my wifes). I'll probably be switching over to Mobil 1 also. I do have ramps so I think I'll put the car up and take a peek under there.<P>

·
Registered
16 Posts
One word of warning with ramps..I have a T5 which might be slightly lower than your AWD but it won't go on ramps either reversing on or driving on, it scrapes..you have to get low profile wider width ramps which are impossible to find (in the UK at least).<P>Just a thought.<BR>

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
RE: ramps<P>I just did the oil change on an 94 850 GLT and we lucked out b/c our drive way slopes up and then down so we had the car pointing up and stuck the ramps under that. Maybe you could look for these types of features. The other thing that works ok is a curb. <P>There are such things as 'ramp' extenders which are basically extensions from the midpoint of the slope of a ramp so that the initial angle/height isn't too great.<P>

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ramps are dangerous and an overkill; you only need 2" of clearance to reach the drain bolt and get your drain pan underneath. I just drive up on two lengths of 2 x 8 stacked flat in front of each front wheel. Cut one piece slight smaller so the tire makes the climb in 2 steps. I used drywall screws to fasten the two boards together.<BR>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts