SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really having a hard time NOT changing the tranny fluid. It seem this forum is split 50/50 on whether to believe the manual and never change it, or change it. As for me, hmmmm, gosh dang, I just don't know.

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
I will say the same thing I said on the conventional oil thread: how long are you going to keep the vehicle? If you plan on keeping it much past 100K, then YES, I would change the tranny fluid.

Your thread is timely; I am changing mine as soon as the case of JWS 3309 comes UPS :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I called the dealer here in Charlotte and they told me to not change it unless I was having trouble. See what I mean? Everyone has a different opinion, including Volvo ! So, 30K miles from now say I start having trouble. Then will they say "If you would have changed the tranny fluid, you wouldn't have had this trouble"?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IPD has a kit??? I'll have to check on that. Oh, and, ahem, being new to volvos, I have to ask who is IPD?

·
Super Moderator
3,778 Posts
Oh, and, ahem, being new to volvos, I have to ask who is IPD?
IPD is a big aftermarket supplier for Volvo stuff. They are a big sponsor here on Swedespeed. There is even an "Ask IPD" forum somewhere here on Swedespeed.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
IPD has a kit??? I'll have to check on that. Oh, and, ahem, being new to volvos, I have to ask who is IPD?
As Brad said, BIG aftermarket Volvo supplier. I didn't realize just HOW long they've been around(1963 !), but I bought stuff from them for my then-new 1980 240 GT. Back then, that car only cost $10K, but I would have spent >10% of that every year to keep 'er on the road! Went from the frying pan into the fire by trading the Volvo on an Audi GT('82). Lost my shirt(and then some) after the 'unintended acceleration' fiasco presented by Sixty Minutes...couldn't GIVE away an Audi for years after...never mind trying to insure one!

Ah, the good old days! ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys. I emailed them and asked about the transmission change kit and also about the convertible hard top lube kit because I couldn't find these products on their website.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
banjo bud, did you end up deciding how often you'll change the transmission fluid? how muh is the "kit" from ipd and what does it include besides transmission fluid? my commute is 30mikes round trip with lots of stop and go.... i plan to keep my c70 a long time so was leaning towards changing the fluid.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
banjo bud, did you end up deciding how often you'll change the transmission fluid? how muh is the "kit" from ipd and what does it include besides transmission fluid? my commute is 30mikes round trip with lots of stop and go.... i plan to keep my c70 a long time so was leaning towards changing the fluid.
With all the other problems I've had with this car, I have abandoned the idea of changing the trans fluid. Rear control arms, front control arms, CV boot, rear view mirror, trunk lid, and a few others. I plan to sell the car in the spring.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
bummer, sorry to hear about the problems with your car! i hope i don't have a similar issues, but do expect more problems than a typical honda/toyota/subaru ownership experience... my keeping my expectations low, i hope to be happy to get through a few years without a major repair and be pleasantly surprised :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
talking to various mechanics both local and via forums, i've decided to hold on transmission fluid change. enough stories from the mechanics of high mileage daily drivers that did fine w/o changes while at least a handful of problems when it was changed

·
Registered
301 Posts
Can't say I have ever seen an oil change CAUSE any sort of failure except in folklore. Sure a synthetic trans fluid will last a long time, and even dealers may tell you it isn't necessary to change oil, but anyone who says it might cause problems cannot be trusted.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
changed my mind. cars at 47k and i do a lot of stop and go. i want it to go past 100k so figure $80 in transmission fluid and a bit of weekend time is worth it. my commute is not quite taxi duty but as it turns out there's even vadis instructions on changing the transmission fluid on s40/v50/c30/c70 aisin automatics so even the volvo knows it should be done for some folks and thus is not truly a "lifetime"/sealed unit.

i suctioned out 3 quarts of transmission fluid through the dipstick while i had the car on ramps for an oil change. used a $5 pump from harborfreight. worked fine. very dark.

poured in 3 quarts of bright red fresh fluid via same dipstick port. 3 quarts is not quite half what the cooler holds so i wanted to drive around do another drain and fill but ran out if time - family outing waiting.

but i will probably repeat the process again in another 3 oil changes. it's easy enough and the fluid definitely looked like it needed "refreshing". i've got 9 more bottles of the 3309 in the case... will use a few bottles when i do the wife's prius.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
mobil3309

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The problem I have is that I can't get to the dipstick without removing everything on the top half of the engine.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
yeah, that's why i did it during the oil change. once on ramps and the plastic shield off, the dipstick is pretty accessible from underneath.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts