SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to change out my winter tires on my Volvo for the first time and need a little help:

1. Are there specific jack points @ the bottom of the car i need to use? i don't see any designated areas beyond this honeycomb like plastic bit for the rear, but nothing i can spot for the front?

2. Where do i find the "tool for removing the plastic covers on the wheel bolts" i've looked in my spare tires compartments but there does not seem to be the tool specified in the manual?

3. Size of the wheel bolts? for my other cars I've purchased the specific socket so it always available. i would like to do the same for the Volvo.

Any other tips you have, i'll take... The Volvo is clearly different than most of my previous cars.

Thanks,

·
Registered
277 Posts
There should be a jack point for each of the wheels, it is the honeycomb piece with hole in middle. Not sure if there are center jack points as I've always just used the ones by the wheels. Tool for wheel bolt covers may be in center console or glovebox. When I bought mine, the tool was in center console storage (under armrest). Looks like large plastic tweezers.

I think 19mm for socket.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The owners manual shows where the jacking points are.
The wheel bolt cover removing tool is as black as the foam shape that holds the tire, jack etc.
It can be hard to see. Of course it could be missing.
Indeed, bolts are 19mm, torque is140Nm.
I use wheel hangers such as this one, one is enough, two is better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx1zRJdYOWE

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
change tire, 01, parts list.jpg

1st time ever changing tires (from winter to summer) - definitely very satisfying DIY. Here's my parts list starting with the jack going clockwise:
1. jack, 3 ton
2. hockey puck - to protect the car and jack
3. wheel wedge pair - to minimize forward/backward movement
4. impact wrench, cordless - faster than manually loosening/tightening
5. wheel lug nut plastic cover removal tool
6. key for locking wheel lug nut (optional if you have locking lug nuts, 1 per tire)
7. 19mm deep impact socket
8. torque wrench - to ensure Volvo recommended torque of 103 ft*lbs (140 N*m).

Other recommended items not on the list are a: small stool on wheels (save your back), rubber mallet (to whack any stuck tires), wrench (cause the lug nuts sometimes got stuck in the socket and need to be wrestled out), thick grease for any hub rust or metal-metal contact surfaces, latex gloves (easier than washing hands), socket wrench (used in combo with the rubber mallet to handle extremely tough nuts the impact wrench can't handle), rags, wearing dirty clothing (cause you'll be hugging stuck tires to wiggle them loose), and patience . . .

Total parts list cost was about $750, all from Amazon but some of the stuff (jack, impact wrench) was purposely overkill, ie, cheaper stuff could have done the same job, probably for a total cost of $500. It takes about an hour for a set of 4 tires and assuming the dealer takes the same time for at a labor rate of "X", if two cars are done twice a year then the total dealer cost to change 4 sets of tires per year is 4*X. Payoff years = $500/(4*X).

If X=$060/hr then payoff years = 2.1;
If X=$090/hr then payoff years = 1.4;
If X=$120/hr then payoff years = 1.1.
So basically payoff within 2-3 years even if one goes overkill on buying equipment. Some pictures below - have fun & good luck!

- Tire Newbie

01 hockey puck and jack point.jpg
Hockey puck in action. Note the jack point is plastic(!)

03 remove plastic caps.jpg
Using the lug nut cover tool. The special "locking" lug nut (far right).

03 off then torque.jpg
Brakes, you may be next sometime soon! Reassembling and torquing (star pattern!) to 103 ft*lbs. Have to check back in a few days to ensure nothing's loosening . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts