SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Volvo S60 has standard OEM 215/50-17 tires on the original 17"in wheel. It seems it can also accept the alternate 235/45-17 tires.

I'm on the Illinois/Wisconsin border, and we have snow and ice to deal with, but don't do more than 7K miles a year to justify a set of dedicated winter package.I was interested in trying the Michelin CrossClimate+ tires, they have very good all weather reviews, but are available only on the 235/45 size, and not on the original 215/50 size. I went over to Costco to order them (they have $110 off right now), and two of their techs highly recommended against moving to a different size. Said it would cause wobbling, cornering and other safety issues. It was also not clear if the rims could actually support the new width, and coupled with the lower cushion would lend the car to damage, etc.

For members who've changed tire sizes, what has your experience been?

Thank you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Question on this, I got slightly larger tires to try and get a smoother ride (wife hates the stiff ride). Is there a way to get the speedometer recalibrated for the different diameter tires?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Question on this, I got slightly larger tires to try and get a smoother ride (wife hates the stiff ride). Is there a way to get the speedometer recalibrated for the different diameter tires?
VDASH will do it. Not sure if there are other ways.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Same as @bomberfrog, my 2012 S60 came with the Njord 17" wheels and 235/45 17 tires.
I don't think your 2015/50s are the right size to start with and 235/45 is the correct size.
Anyone else here had theirs come with 215/50 17?

I run 16" wheels on my snow tires (can't recall tire size off hand but definitely not 215) and have had no issues at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How does one find the width of the wheel? Is it stamped somewhere? I can take it off and check, but wasn't keen on removing the tire and measuring the width.

·
Registered
603 Posts
HI
Just to complete, I did this change just for the reason that I wanted better tires than Michelin Primacy (original mount). I bought the PS3 in the new mount and this is way better

·
Registered
17 Posts
How does one find the width of the wheel? Is it stamped somewhere? I can take it off and check, but wasn't keen on removing the tire and measuring the width.
The wheel size is moulded on the rear of the wheel on the inside of the spokes along with the part number in case you are unsure of the name of your wheels.

·
Registered
548 Posts
When I ordered my '13 I specified the Njord wheels to get low profile wider tires, as the standard tires struck me as disproportionately narrow and spindly looking.

·
Registered
820 Posts
This is wonderful - I have the third one in the first row - the Balder, 7x17", Silver Stone, Standard T5.

So I'm taking that to mean its not a good idea to put on the 235/45R17? Those show an 8" width.
The ideal wheel width for a 235/45R17 tire is 7.5"-9" wide.

Check out https://tiresize.com/calculator/

According to that site, the most compatible alternate sizes to your stock tires size are:
205/55R17
225/50R17
205/50R17
225/45R17

·
Registered
527 Posts
You get these yet?
235/45/17 will be just fine, but best for summer tires. Its actually one of the closest plus zero sizes. It's only .1" smaller, and only one revolution less per mile, which is very little difference. Closer than any other 17 that can fit 7.5" rim. The speedo will still be accurate. I would guess the car has room to fit the tire, most do.

I also have a tire and mechanic shop near you as well. Not a fan of the Michelin but if you want them, ok.

Oh, whoever was talking about wobbling, no you wont have wobbling or safety issues.

You may have a little more propensity to hydroplane with the wider tire.

Also you will have less winter traction with a wider tire. Narrow is better for snow and ice. So you may not gain so much winter wise for $800

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You get these yet?
I did not get them yey. I came upon the vredestein quatrac 5 on tirerack, and was intrigued. It seemed a lot more value for money than any the Michelins. Still researching them. I considered driving down to South Bend, IN to get them installed vs having them delivered. The roadside hazard warranty with Tirerack isn't as great as Costco's, though Costco has started getting expensive with their new pricing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My wife would like to do away with low profile tires. She has a bulging disc in her back and other assorted joint issues and the low profile are bumpy. So I wonder the same thing about the speedometer.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's a software to recalibrate the speedo when you change the tire/wheel size, any authorized Volvo dealer can do it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts