SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I change the fuel filter on an 01 S60 T5?

I have found the fuel filter under the rear right door.

Do I need to release the pressure in the lines? If a little squirt of fuel springs out, then I wouldn't be too worried as long as it is not too much!

Found this thread which sounds easy enough ..
http://www.volvoforums.com/for...unt=4

What would happen if I do not release pressure in the fuel line by depressing the schrader valve?

Modified by SML at 4:33 AM 3-12-2009

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/fuelfilter.php

It's probably quite similar on the S60. I need to do this soon... But, I did do my 850 whilst trying to track-down a misfiring issue, and it wasn't bad. Worst part was that the head of the bolt holding on that strap sheared off! It was locked in place after 16 years of NE winters...

Also, those hoses are kind of a pain to pull off. I used a long screwdriver to pry them off and then stuck a normal ol' squeeze-clamp in there and squeezed it which popped the line off the rest of the way. Not much fuel came out. Be quick and you should be fine. (Drip pan sounds like a good idea.) I think more gas came out of the filter than the lines themselves...

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
Where'd you get your filter from? NAPA has it listed on their site, but, when I went to the store, the guy told me there's no sign of a fuel filter for the S60 in his computer system...
(He even checked one of those [email protected] books they've got behind the counter there and it showed no filter, too...)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got mine from IPD.

Fortunately it looks like the correct part - unlike the carbon pollen filter. I bought it according to their specs but it was the wrong part! No real help from IPD in their first email response. They just replied & quoted some dodgy specs. So I replied asking if I should just throw the filter in the bin. Looking forward to their response!

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
They sent you the normal filter instead of the carbon filter? Maybe you are just misunderstanding how the filters work?
(None of us like to admit it, but it does happen from time to time!
)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was only a couple to choose from. I ordered the Volvo carbon filter. For an 01 S60.

Unfortunately it seems there are different carbon pollen filters. The tab

Here is the crap reply. The guy also irritated me by including a pdf of the install instructions. These were on the web and in the box. I didn't need a third copy.

Here is the crap reply .............

I do not even have access to the information. There are no RHD cars in North America so they don't even show in our parts listings. Here are the notes I have on file.

Fits P2 chassis w/ 1.5 inch thick filter. see 9171756 for 1 inch variety.

This is the factory replacement part for the cars with IAQS (Interior Air
Quality System). UPDATED REPLACEMENT for vehicles WITHOUT
IAQS that used a paper filter ORIGINALLY.
PI-304 (Included) shows how to update to this better charcoal filter.
Will REQUIRE torx 20 & 25 to remove paneling. RA 5-25-04
Volvo calls for 15,000 mile change interval.

So thanks for not very much IPD. Hopefully your next reply is more helpful.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
Hmm... Well, I hadn't even thought about the RHD issue. But, I would assume you'd just flip the filter over and put it in the other way. (Is directionality really that big of a deal with a cabin air filter?)

More importantly: are you trying to upgrade from a paper filter to a carbon filter? If so, there are two slots down there for fitting filters in and the slot for the type of filter your car was not made with in the factory is covered with a little plastic tab so you don't accidentally put the filter in the wrong slot. If you are trying to upgrade, you will have to cut this tab from the hole in the back (I believe) so that you can put the carbon filter into this wider slot.

Hope that's all your problem is!

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,015 Posts
Yeah, I just called National Auto and they said there were two filters listed for my car: an ~8 in. one and a ~6 in. one (with them costing ~$60 and ~$20 respectively). I just did the filter in my 850 a few months ago and I just looked at the filter on my S60 yesterday. It seems that the S60 filter isn't as big as the 850's was. Wonder if the ~8 inch one is the same as was on the 850? (I got the one for my 850 from a NAPA store and it only cost me ~$20.)

All so very strange!

So, anyone happen to know how the filter lengths might be measured?
Barrel length? Or tip-to-tip maybe?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Changing the Fuel Filter (jstro)

Quote, originally posted by jstro »
Just an FYI There are two dfifferent types of fuel filter for 2001's depending on Chassis number

No worries. I got the fuel filter just not the carbon pollen filter.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Re: Changing the Fuel Filter (Paysts)

Don't do that. Find a car specific filter, either generic brand or volvo brand. Why chance it. Even though Ford currently owns Volvo and could very well be a shared part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.