SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start doing some mechanical work myself on my 99 S70GLT, starting with the simple stuff. I changed the air filter, now I want to change the spark plugs. I removed the torx screws from the 2 plastic covers, but the big one does not make it past the turbo pipe. Do I need to remove the turbo pipe, or just loosen the hose clamps at both ends? And, forgive my lack of knowledge, but what pipe is this, exactly? Thanks.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I jsut did this on my 99 S70 T5.<br>The top timing belt cover comes off with two clips, one on each side, then you can wiggle the spark plug cover off, however.. I took off the turbo downpipe anyway, cause it is hard to get the plug out from under it.<p>It only takes a couple minutes to remove it and replace it.<p>Oh yea,<br>Don't make my mistake and put Platnium plugs into a Volvo Turbo. They don't like them apparently. I am putting Bosche Copper Cores in this weekend.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by ViriiGuy at 1:18 PM 4-15-2009</i>

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
volvo plugs $35 shipped dont buy anything else <p>Try Boston Volvo or Tasca Volvo or Darylwatrip Volvo <p>all will crush your local dealers prices

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

The plugs for the turbo are Yittrium (hope I spelled that right) tipped. I got them from Waltrip. Bosch or Champion coppers are okay for non turbos, or the Volvo version for NA's.<p>Good Advice above from Chilled.<p>And you don't have to remove the timing top cover, just remove the cover plate and slide it out, it will.<p>And leave the turbo pipe there, you can work around it. Have done this a number of times myself.<p>By the way, good for you to do some maintenance on the vehicle. There are many other do it yourself things on here and other forums you can get involved with to increase product knowledge and save you some time and money.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Another tip, ALWAYS for aluminum head cars, buy a tube of anti-seize compound and put a drop or two on each spark plug when you put them in. This prevents galling when you go to pull them out in a year or two. You do not want to deal with a stripped spark plug hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts